Chapter 9: The buildup

The Citadel, council meeting room.

February 5th, 2966 UNC /2173 CE

It started out as any day would be for the races of the Citadel Council. Stock markets shifted slightly, new patrol orders were given out, merchant ships arrive bring fresh supplies in, occasional technological upgrades would be brought into the market.

So as the universe likes to throw a spanner in people's lives, things went in a more chaotic direction. And it started out in a meeting room with the members of the Citadel council.

"And ending off that note, I recommend that we begin additional funding to anti-pirate operations." Sparatus finished off. After the supposed burning of Logashire, something still fresh in the minds of the Citadel races, the nations of the Council began to undergo small but noticeable amounts of militarism. Most notable were the additional hundreds of pocket dreadnaughts, cruisers, and frigates ordered by the Turians. The first squadrons were already coming out of the shipyards.

"Agreed." Tevos begrudgingly said. The Council still had to show itself as a strong force. Otherwise, the work done by the ancestors of the Asari could be undone in a few short years.

"Now moving onto the situation with the Batarians and Quar-" That was when Sadion was interrupted by one of their secretaries.

"Councilors, we have an incoming priority call from an Admiral Ravis Kandros. Said it is urgent."

"Kandros? She's a good officer. Put her through." Sparatus ordered.

After a few seconds, a hologram of the Admiral appeared. Only she seemed quite nervous.

"Councilors, we have a situation regarding the Quarians." the admiral reported.

A terrible feeling began to emerge in the stomachs of the councilors. "What is Admiral?" Spartacus asked.

"Two days ago, I was given orders by the Primarch of the cluster to evict the Quarians from a system that was apparently too close for comfort. When I hesitated, he ordered General Vrynnus to take command of the 'police' effort."

That was definitely not a good idea. Especially since the Turians relied decently on Quarian pilgrims for fleet upgrades. "So what happened?" Tevo pressed.

"2o minutes ago, my fleet came out of the secondary relay in the system. What we found was a 10,000 vessel strong fleet between us and the Quarian flotilla. The leader of the fleet, an Admiral Limburn, promptly hailed us and we discovered that the Quarians made first contact with a new species." the admiral explained.

The Councilors blinked, trying to quickly process the information.

"Wait, say again. DId you say a thousand ships?" Spartacus asked for clarification.

"No, ten thousand ships. Among them were a thousand dreadnought sized vessels and a hundred ships as long as 5 kilometers." the admiral nervously replied.

5 seconds passed before a massive "WHATT?!" erupted from the meeting room.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN A THOUSAND DREADNAUGHTS!?" Spartacus showed, causing the other councilors to wince.

"I..sir sending you the sensor logs now." the councilor's omni-tools buzzed and they received a large cache of data on the ships themselves. Everyone in the room had their own reactions.

Interesting. Cruiser class vessels acting like the head of wolf packs and escorts ships. Also seems to be lacking spinal mounts. Also uses turret designs. Likely light mass accelerators or missile tubes. Sadion notes as she looks over the sensor logs. Some of the Dreadnoughts also seem to be fighter-carrying platforms. Interesting .