38. Phone Call

The one voice he avoided for several days not because he didn't want to hear it, rather he didn't want to get distracted with his plans suddenly rings in his ear.

"Do you have time to talk?"

"I... I do have time."

He inwardly scolded himself for stuttering.

"Are you okay?"

He felt like his cheeks flushed. A series of whys pops up in his head that he barely manages to hide his smile.

"Were you worried about me? I'm doing fine despite a lot of things happening right now."

"Are you? I thought something must have happened to you because..."

"I'm sorry for not calling these days. I've been very busy sorting things out."

She didn't say anything for a moment. The silence suddenly made his throat dry.

"I know you're busy and I don't blame you at all. If it's not too much at least send even just one message so Yoona won't worry about you. That's all I'll ask from you."

"Is she very worried? I messed up again, right?"

"She didn't know anything about the rumor. We only told her that you are having a concert and barely had time to rest so..."

"Thank you for keeping it from her and I'm sorry."

"As long as you can make it up to her, I'm good."

"I'll call her soon, not now though. I can't afford to get distracted. If I hear her voice I might end up coming there to see her."

And as soon as he finished his sentence, Yoona's hearty laugh reached his ears. From the background, he can hear her calling out her mom's name asking for help as if she's being chased. That's when he also heard the crashing sound of the waves along with a man's voice calling Yoona's name.

"I'll let her know that you're doing fine. That's all I wanted to say, I won't interrupt you anymo-"

"Wait! I change my mind. Where are you exactly? Can I go and see you?"

"I don't think it's a good idea. Didn't you just say you don't want to get distracted now?"

"But--"

"Rosé and Daniel's visit cheered her enough for today so you don't need to worry about her."

A brief silence follows.

"I really miss her."

"(sigh) I guess it's not that easy to deal with whatever's you're dealing with right now. I wish you good luck, Yoongi. Stay strong and don't rush things."

A huge smile escapes his lips

"Are you comforting me, Jihyo? That's surprising, coming from you."

She flustered and almost stuttered,

"I... just don't want you to rush things again and end up messing up your plan. That means Yoona will have to suffer more if that happens."

"You're right. I already talked to all the members and they agreed it's about time to announce my status with the fans."

"Are you saying... you're going to reveal Yoona? Is that your final course of action?"

"Yes, but I won't be doing it in one go. For now, I'll just state that I have a child. Revealing Yoona's identity entirely might not be a good idea for our child."

Our child... Jihyo felt a tinge of security and relief after hearing his words. Ever since the day he finds out the truth, Jihyo knew this day will come; the day he will claim his rights to her child and let the world knows about it as well. It will be difficult for Yoona but it cannot be helped. They will just have to stay by her side as her parents and protect her at all costs.

"Before you make the announcement, I wish you can come here and discuss it with her first. We need to at least prepare her for all the rumors and different points of view she might hear from people."

He sighed and nods his head. Even how much they try to protect her, the world is harsh and scary for a five-year-old child. They will need to secure her and ensure she will be less harmed by people who will be judging them carelessly.

"I agree, I'll make sure to pay a visit very soon."

"I shall wait then. I will trust you this time, Yoongi. Please don't fail."

Jihyo ended the call after saying her last words. Saying that she's terrified might be an understatement. She can feel her hands trembling and she feels cold all of a sudden. The change in her expression didn't escape Rosé's eyes too and she lightly pats her back in an attempt to comfort her.

"Don't worry too much, Jihyo-ssi. Everything will be okay, I'm sure of it."

She smiles a little,

"I wish I can be that confident too, Rosé-ssi." 

Jihyo sighed again and stared at the vast ocean, hoping the waters will drown her worries too.  She watched her daughter tired herself running on the seashore, laughing out loud and fully enjoying herself. How can she protect Yoona's laughter from the world's criticism? Will she be able to, in the first place? Even if it seems impossible, she still had to do what she can and she will. Her daughter deserves to be happy too and it's not something she needs to beg from people.

She closes her eyes and calms herself. At least this time, she's not alone. She'll deal with the rest of the people together with Yoongi and that's a huge relief on her part.

As long as you keep your words... Yoona will be okay, Yoongi.

~~