chapter eight: Bonding

Hiccup p.o.v

After all that madness all I needed was some sleep but of course I couldn't get any sleep and why? Well I felt guilty ... It feels like it was my fault he got hit, I should have done something dragged him down or told him sooner just something more then just shouting duck, all I could see when I closed my eyes was the lifeless face of Dryden as he sunk Downwards.

The thought of what if toothless wasn't there to help? Would I have made it? Would he have survived? But soon enough with enough determination I was able to bruit force myself to sleep untill morning, as soon as I felt the warmth of the sun hitting my face I knew it's a new day and a slight stretch gave me all the energy I needed to get out from my floor bed.

I stood up and walked to a chest that held all my clothes and armour, I picked out some casual clothing then put some of my armour on top, when I turned around my heart stopped, "where's dryden?" I questioned myself I looked to the other side of the bed as it's possible he rolled off but nope nothing "oh no shit ... Angel will be pissed" I said to myself.

I quickly sprinted down stairs where toothless was laying in the centre of the living area of the hut "wait how did you get in I don't remember letting you in" I stated as toothless looked up at me but he just gave me a sassy groan "well hope you had a good time cause we have to find angel or Dryden" I said and toothless quickly stood up and burst through the door.

I followed him out and when I exited my hut I was surprised to find toothless laying and rubbing his head on the burnt spot where angel had slept, "erm what are you doing" I asked him and he lifted his head up giving me his toothless smile, "oh whatever ... Let's just get going we are heading back to the island we found Dryden on" I stated as I climbed onto toothless.

But before I could take flight a teen came running up to me "help help ... Me dad's barn is on fire ... It was smoking and usually it's just some terrible terrors but today the smoke smelt different" the kid explained as he hopped up and down "it's probably still terrible terrors so just open the door and scare them away" I explained but the kid wasn't having it.

"Please hiccup ... Your the one that deals with the dragon problems and my dad will be mad at me if I don't do something" the kid was on his knees begging, I sighed before looking down "fine I'll deal with the barn and then I'll get back on track" I muttered to myself as I climbed off toothless to follow the kid to this barn.

And as he said there was smoke and just like he said it was different to terrible terrors smoke, the smoke smelt very metallic and was completely black "see it's different to terrible terrors smoke" the small teen said, "ok toothless stick with me" I ordered as I walked on the cobblestone path towards the barn.

Once we made it to the door we moved stood opposite side of the door, I opened the barn up and took a peak inside and I was shocked "angel?" I questioned as what I saw was a white ball curled up in hay that had been burnt by plasma flames, I moved into the barn with toothless close behind when I called angels head poked out from the ball she growled in a threatening way.

I heard toothless move back and when he did she suddenly stopped growling "I think I understand ... Toothless would you mind just waiting outside" I asked him he let out a rumble but in the end he agreed letting me shut the door behind him "sssooo angel ... Have you seen where dryden is" I took a step forwards and she lifted her head up even higher.

 Have you seen where dryden is" I took a step forwards and she lifted her head up even higher

(Deviant art by Jake2714)

"Wo wo wo ... Please hear me out ... I'm concerned because I woke up today to find the person I was taking care of had disappeared" I said and angel rolled her eyes before unfolding her wing revealing Dryden laying in a pile of burnt hay "I see ... Well can we please take him back" I asked but this only got a growl from angel.

"Well you stay here ... And I'm going to go get some things ok" I spoke to her as if she could understand everything but she just ignored me and went back to sleeping, I exited the barn and walked up to the boy "hey could you help me with something ... Can you please inform your father that hiccup haddock needs to use his barn and that he should not enter there untill I send him another update" I explained and the kid did a cute salute before running off.

I then looked to toothless "ok so now we need to go to the black smith and talk to Gobber about making a new leg, hopefully Dryden is still similar shape to me" I said muttering the last part to myself, so we both started by to walk away towards the blacksmith but on the way many there I was asked by almost everyone I went past to help them with a problem but I had to turn them down as I was doing something important.

When I finally made it to the blacksmith I was surrounded by people "I'm sorry but I can't help at the moment ... I ...need ...to get in here" I said pushing past the crowd to get to gobber "ah hiccup I didn't expect you here ... What you need" grobber asked as he pushed people away from me "so ... I'm needing a new leg the same size as mine but it's for someone else" Gobber was confused but shrugged his shoulders "I still have a spare one if you need one badly cause it's going to take at least a week to make a new one" gobber said as he walked to the leg section of his blacksmith.

"Nope ... Not that one" he said moving things around in a chest "hey I lost that one years ago" gobber mentioned pulling out an old looking leg that would fit him "ah ha there you are ... See it's exactly like yours ... I remember the reason we didn't use it was because this one was made for a right foot" gobber chuckled as he handed it to me "that's perfect the person who needs it is missing their right foot" I stated "thanks gobber" I shouted as I ran out of his shop.

To avoid getting swarmed again I decided that riding on toothless was the best idea and it was because toothless didn't care about the crowd and just walked away "thanks bud" I said scratching the back of his neck "now let's get back to that barn" I asked toothless he lifted his wings and with a running start he lifted off.

It wasn't long till we made it back to the barn as berk was a small island, we landed outside of the door "ok bud I know you don't like this but could you wait outside?" I asked as I opened the barn door toothless rolled his eyes before sitting down a little bit to the left of the door, when I entered angel instantly looked up but when she saw it was me she went back to place her head near her wing.

"Hey angel ... I ... I have a ...a gift for dryden see" I lifted up my spare leg showing it to her but she didn't seam impressed, "so can I get closer" I asked she was hesitant but she opened up her wings and moved her tail to the side, I took some steps closer taking my time making sure angel was comfortable untill I was right next to Dryden.

I then moved my spare peg leg closer to his leg "hmm yeah this should fit now I just need to fix the leg to his amor and then" I was messing around with his foot not paying attention to my surroundings when suddenly I was pushed away.

"Ah ... What the hell? Angel" I was confused as angel had entered a threatening posture her eyes were slits and were ref with rage, then I remembered when Astrid attacked Dryden and almost hit Dryden this happened and the place Astrid almost hit was drydens stum ... Is she protective over it.

"Wo wo look, look" I said taking off my own leg "see it's not something that will harm him" I started to shake my leg or the lack thereof, this ... Seamed to work actually as she realised I was in a similar boat to dryden soon her eyes turned back to normal as she opened up her wings again and I hopped over with my foot in hand.

I decided to prop Dryden up into a sitting position and then I sat next to him so that my left foot was next to drydens missing right foot then I started to put my prosthetic leg back on, I then heard angel humm like toothless did but it was a lighter feminine tone after I had finished putting my leg on I moved to drydens.

It took longer as I had to change something to make the foot latch on to his leg but soon enough Dryden had a prosthetic leg on and angel seems to be happy as she leaned in she started to lick his new leg then without warning she kicked Dryden softly so his body limply moved into a laying down position with his head on my lap.

Then she opened her wings out covering us and to top it all off she did a small plasma blast that lit up her wing making it look like the star sky, surprisingly it made me feel very tired it looked so real and beautiful I couldn't help but close my eyes.