Falling

“Lili, how was your match?”

Lisa was on a cool, black bike. She was slowly riding past the small shop by the street corner when the sweet, old lady shouted to her.

Lisa gently pressed the brakes and put her feet on the ground to bring the bike to a complete stop. She expertly took off her helmet. Each of her movements was fluid. Her long ponytail cascaded down her shoulder instantly, enhancing her beauty. She was born with delicate and beautiful facial features, to begin with, and at the moment, her posture added a mighty, heroic bearing to her.

The old lady stared at Lisa, exclaiming to herself that pretty kids did have natural advantages. Even during an act as simple as riding a bike, Lisa looked out of the ordinary.

“Umm, I think you have got some guests at home. The person came in a very, very impressive limousine. My son told me that the limousine is worth millions. No car in our county can compare to that car…” As the old lady moved forward with her story, she made some exaggerated gestures.

Lisa listened to her words, making her immerse deep in thought. But she showed no expression on her face that would indicate anything unusual.

Since Lisa was not responding, the old lady took a careful look around and then stepped closer to Lisa to whisper to her. “Lili, tell me. Since when does your family know these rich people? Or… are you in any sort of trouble?”

The old lady remembered that someone drove a car to her house last year and a big fight had broken out.

Lisa’s eyelids were twitching now. The old lady’s thoughts were wandering in the wrong direction, which Lisa found both amusing and annoying.

To avoid any more misunderstanding, Lisa replied in a gentle voice. “Probably a distant relative has come to visit.”

As soon as she gave this answer, the old lady became suspicious. But before she could inquire any further, Lisa had already put her helmet back on and waved her a quick goodbye. “Grandma Huang, its time for me to go now.”

The old lady watched as Lisa rode away. A long while later, she mumbled to herself. “Isn’t your family famous for being a household in hardship?”

What distant relative?

Not to mention someone so rich.

Lisa rode home quickly. Even from a distance away, she could see that ‘very, very impressive’ black sedan parked in the alley outside the yard.

The logo of the sedan was a soaring eagle. The car had a solemn yet classy look to it.

This was a Bentley. No wonder the car would cost millions.

Lisa’s lips stretched into a sarcastic grin. There were enough thoughts on her mind but she hid them well. She got off from her bike slowly and then clicked some buttons on the bike as she had done innumerable times earlier.

In a blink, the bike folded up automatically and now was suddenly smaller than an 11-inch laptop.

The gate to the yard was wide open. Lisa picked up her bike effortlessly, and stepped into the yard. Before she got to the living room, she could already hear someone’s shrill, harsh voice.

“Mom, why are you being so stubborn? What is so special about this shabby place that you cannot bear to leave it behind?”

“I have already told you that I bought you a big house downtown and I hired a nanny solely to look after you. No matter how you think about it, that life will be much better than the one you are living currently.”

“Take a look at this dirty floor, the wall’s color is fading and water still leaks upstairs during rains, right?”

“You are in poor health. Why do you have to stay in this worn-out, moldy, old house? People would think that we are poor and that we are abusing our elders…”

Lisa was still standing in the yard. Upon hearing these words, she sunk into deep thoughts. But soon, she raised her head back up.

Truth be told, since Lisa had taken over this body, she had not had the time to take a closer look at this place.

The house had an old-fashioned, rustic look to it. It was a two storey place with a yard in the front. It was fitted with red bricks on the wall, and black tiles on the roof. No varnish or ceramic tiles had ever been applied on the walls. Mold and yellow stains had climbed to some parts of the walls due to lack of repairs.

In a nutshell, this house still retained the standard style of the 1980s. Indeed, the house was old and ragged.

Lisa tapped her nose. She had been living in this harsh environment for a year. Suddenly, the realisation hit her that she sure could adapt herself to difficult circumstances!

At this moment, the shrill voice came to a sudden stop.

He Seohyung, who was wearing a black lace dress, walked out of the room. She had a purple scarf around her neck and was sporting delicate makeup. Her hair was combed into a bun with a diamond hairpin on it. Everything about her screamed wealth. She was taken aback seeing Lisa standing in the yard.

But He Seohyung recovered quickly and came back to her senses. The complicated expressions faded away from the depth of her eyes. “What are you doing here?” She questioned in a cold voice.

Lisa stared at He Seohyung quietly and calmly. But her mind had wandered to a different place already.

A year ago, for some unknown reason, she had taken over this body. Back then, the host’s name was not Huo Lisa, but Lu Lisa, and she had been the darling daughter of a nouveau riche family of City S.

However, several months ago, she was informed abruptly that this body, this person, was not a part of the Lu Family. When the original host of this body had been born, the nurse at the hospital had ended up swapping two infants due to some confusion.

As a matter of fact, the biological parents of this person were a normal, working-class couple. They had no money, nor any power. It was said that the couple had to raise four sons who were worthless. It was sufficient to say that that household was under tremendous pressure already.

This person’s foster mother, aka, He Seohyung, got to know that her actual biological daughter was living in a poor family while she had been raising this girl who should have been in that impoverished situation. This sharp contrast aroused a surge of maternal love inside He Seohyung.

Despite living in a poor family, He Seohyung’s biological daughter appeared to be gentle and refined with a sweet mouth and a good heart. He Seohyung didn’t waste much time and picked up her biological daughter from those horrid surroundings to take her back to where she originally belonged. He Seohyung changed her biological daughter’s name and added her name to the family tree, just so that nothing unfair would happen to her daughter ever again.

As for the fake daughter who had been known as Lu Lisa till now, despite being born in a wealthy household, she was never liked by the Lu Family. Since she was a kid, she had lived with He Seohyung’s mother in a small county. He Seohyung would only visit her sporadically, once every couple of years.

Since the genuine daughter returned to the family, the fake daughter had to move out. Before Lisa’s biological parents came to pick her up, He Seohyung told her that she did not deserve the Lu surname, and could not continue to live here.

At that time, He Seohyung had been so full of herself while trying to get rid of Lisa. Nothing had changed since. She continued to remain arrogant even now.

Lisa pulled her mind back to the present and looked away from He Seohyung, as if not impressed with what was in front of her.

He Seohyung frowned and grew furious. “What is with the attitude?”

Her question conveyed her wrath to its full extent which was a source of amusement for Lisa. She raised her eyebrows and answered with a question of her own. “Then, who do you think you are to come here?”

As the sound of Lisa’s amused voice, He Seohyung’s well-maintained face became twisted.

Indeed, Lisa was not Lu Family’s child. Though she was raised by the Lu Family for a long period of time, she still remained unrestrained, uncultivated, and impolite.

At this moment, He Seohyung could not help but think of her biological daughter, Lu Eunha. While Eunha grew up in a humble, average family, she was the epitome of innocence and elegance. She did well in school and was naturally gifted. She was discovered by a talent scout and had become a star already. She was born to bring fame to the Lu Family.

As for Lisa, apart from her face, she was worse than Eunha in every way possible.

He Seohyung took a deep breath and reminded herself of her intention to come here. She pushed back the anger and took a few seconds to calm herself down.

“Since you are here, I might as well speak to you about the reason which I am here for. I hope you can accomplish this task.” He Seohyung’s condescending attitude had been restored with these sarcastic words to Lisa.

Though she had used the word ‘hope’, her attitude clearly showed that she thought the opposite.

Lisa curled her lips. Before she could respond though, Yang Qiuhua, He Seohyung’s mother and the person who had raised Lisa, came out of the room.

Yang Qiuhua slapped gently on He Seohyung’s arm, giving her a sign that she had spoken enough. Then, Yang Qiuhua shifted her eyes towards Lisa. As she did so, the look in her eyes softened automatically. “Lili, you are back. How did the match go?”

Lisa replied with a shrug. “It was okay.”

“Did you win?” Yang Qiuhua sounded excited.

“Yes, I came first.” Lisa still sounded nonchalant. She did not seem to be proud of her achievement as if pulling this off was a child’s play for her.

Yang Qiuhua wiped away the happy tears which had trickled down her cheeks. “Congratulations, my dear girl.”

Standing next to them, He Seohyung frowned in confusion. She asked the old lady with a scowl. “What first place? What match?”

Yang Qiuhua moved her gaze to He Seohyung, with a proud smile lingering on her face. She said with delight in her voice, “You may not know this. But Lili is not only doing well in school, but she is also…”

He Seohyung lost her interest before even hearing the complete reply. The old lady had not answered her question. Instead, she began to speak in favor of Lisa which was surely going to be an exaggeration.

Impatiently, He Seohyung waved her hand and interrupted her mother rudely. “Fine, I know. You don’t have to present her as a good kid in front of me. Do you remember her past grades? She couldn’t even manage to get admission in the prominent high school of our county. She should be thankful that our Lu Family gave her enough money to enroll herself. Or else, she would have had to attend a technical high school.”

He Seohyung paused for a moment and then threw a sarcastic look towards Lisa. “A fish’s eye can never become a pearl.”

Instinctively, Yang Qiuhua looked at Lisa, fearing that the latter would find these words hurtful. “You have never cared about her during all these years. That’s why you don’t even know that Lili has become…” Yang Qiuhua hurriedly started to explain.

He Seohyung sneered with contempt visible in her eyes and cut off Yang Qiuhua mid-sentence, once again.

With impatience in her voice, she said, “Mom, she is not my biological daughter, nor is she your real granddaughter. She is a Huo Family kid. Whether she does well in school or not, it has nothing to do with me. I don’t want to know about it.”

Yang Qiuhua’s smile froze on her face. The unfinished words remained stuck in her throat. A long moment later, she spoke in a subdued and depressed voice, “Lili is my granddaughter!”

He Seohyung rubbed her forehead in impatience. What kind of honeyed words did Lisa feed her mother? Why would her mom dislike her biological granddaughter and continue to be affectionate to this ill-bred and fake granddaughter?

“She enjoyed so many advantages in the Lu Family for seventeen years while my biological daughter suffered so much hardship. Mom, wake up. Don’t regard her as your family anymore!”

“You are currently treating her as your family. But who knows? She may just be just taking advantage of you. Maybe she is trying to scam us of our money to give to her biological parents…”

“Stop it!” Yang Qiuhua was quaking with rage now. “I raised Lili myself. I know her better than you do. Don’t speculate about her character with your biased heart.”

He Seohyung’s face became clouded. “You cannot even tell right from wrong, Mom. I think that you have become muddle-headed because of old age. You need to see a doctor!”

Yang Qiuhua was in her sixties and her heart was weak. Angered by He Seohyung’s words, she turned ghastly pale as she banged her fists against her chest.

Lisa put down her stuff on the ground and hurried towards the old lady. She helped Yang Qiuhua sit on a bamboo chair and put her right hand on Yang Qiuhua’s wrist.

Lisa was worried. A few seconds later, she let go of her grandmother’s wrist. “Is your chest pain acting up again?” Her voice was hoarse with concern.

Yang Qiuhua forced a smile out of her pale lips. She took Lisa’s hands and shook her head. Then she spoke in a calming tone, “I am okay. It’s just an old illness which likes to act up. Don’t worry so much.”

He Seohyung was frightened by the sudden change of events. As soon as she pulled herself together, she pushed Lisa’s hand away and shouted. “Mom, are you okay? How are you feeling? Should we get you to the hospital?”

Lisa frowned when her hand was pushed away. She looked at He Seohyung for a second and then went back inside after shaking her head.

He Seohyung took out her phone to call the ambulance. At the same time, she did not forget to snort, taking a dig at Lisa. “Mom, did you see that? That is the person that you raised. How can she go back inside as if nothing had happened. You are clearly unwell…”

He Seohyung shook her head in disgust and began to dial the number.

Soon, Lisa came back with a cup in her hand.

He Seohyung got off her phone, and turned around, only to see Lisa feeding something to her mother. He Seohyung took the cup hurriedly from her and found that it was not purified water. She bellowed angrily at once.

“What is this that you are giving my mom?”

Lisa’s eyes were focussed on the cup that had been taken away from her hand. A chilly look arose in her eyes. Suddenly, her delicate face became expressionless and there was a dangerous aura coming off her body.

He Seohyung had never seen Lisa like this. This unfamiliar feeling scared her. Unknowingly, she took a step backwards. “What… what are you trying to do?”

Her tone was evidently less harsh than before.

“Seohyung, given me that cup. Lili has got this medicine for me.” Yang Qiuhua had finally got the chance to catch her breath. While saying so, she reached out her hand to retrieve the cup from her daughter’s hand.

Upon hearing those words, He Seohyung’s eyes opened wide. Instead of giving it back, she poured the remaining medicine on the ground. “She bought it for you? What kind of medicine can she, a country bumpkin, get for you? This is insane.”

Looking at the wasted medicine, Yang Qiuhua grimaced and tried to explain. “Lili’s medicine…”

But in her usual fashion, He Seohyung left no chance for her to finish her words. “Stop it. Can you just stop it? The ambulance is getting here soon. Let’s get you a full physical check-up while we are there. How can you take just any medicine? What if you have an adverse reaction to it?”

He Seohyung shook her head and then glared at Lisa. “You, listen up. You gave my mom some random medicine. If something goes wrong, the entire Huo Family’s death will not be able to make up for it. Hurry up and leave from here. Do not stay here any longer. I will give you this chance on account of the fact that you used to be a part of my family once. ”

“Seohyung, that is enough!” Yang Qiuhua was fully consumed with anxiety and anger. “Lili, this is your family and your house. Don’t listen to her. Don’t leave…”

Lisa looked at the ground. Just now, Yang Qiuhua had finished over half of her medicine. Such being the case, Lisa was not in the mood to waste any more time on her ‘once upon a time’ mother.

She turned around and crouched down in front of Yang Qiuhua slowly. She looked at her with a calm expression and said, “You know what? You deserve to live a better life now.”

Yang Qiuhua was stunned into stillness. Her heart went into panic and her pale lips trembled before she could ask the question in a hoarse voice. “Lili, did you hear what we discussed inside?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HUO LISA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------HUO LISA

HE SEOHYUNG

LU EUNHA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me if there are any mistakes and if you enjoy this chapter do consider voting..