Unfair

“Is that Eunha?”

“Oh my god, I managed to run into my idol at the airport in the middle of the night. How lucky am I!”

“Eunha looks so beautiful in real life and seems to be so gentle.”

“My darling Eunha, can you sign something for us?”

The girls standing around Eunha did not even try to lower their voices. Soon, their shouts caught the attention of other people milling inside the airport. Many people stopped and even Lisa and Jin paused in their steps and turned around to look at Eunha.

Eunha was surprised that she would run into some fans here. She adjusted her expression and put on a shy smile, greeting those girls with a friendly attitude. She graciously agreed to take pictures with them, as well.

In the meantime, she was stealing glances at Lisa, who stood some distance away.

“Eunha has been talented in dancing and singing since she was a child. She joined a girls’ group not long ago. Her agency thinks highly of her and has managed to win her a spot on a talent show. I heard that the talent show is quite popular. I guess those girls are her fans.”

Jin looked at Eunha who was standing in the circle of her admirers while he explained this to Lisa.

Lisa did not seem to be envious or affected by his words at all. She just gave a bland ‘oh’ as a response. The phone was buzzing incessantly in her pocket. She shifted her gaze away from Eunha and fished out her phone.

It was a WeChat message.

Y: [Miss Big Shot, help me!]

Lisa rubbed her forehead. Her answer revealed her impatience: [Piss off.]

Y: [Miss Big Shot, don’t be like this. You cannot leave me alone.]

Lisa’s lips stretched into a cold grin as she stabbed the screen with her long and delicate fingers: [Solve your own problems.]

Having clicked ‘Send’, Lisa blocked the contact on her phone.

After the person, ‘Y’ typed and sent out a long message, the only reply received back was: [Message delivery failed. Message delivery denied.]

Y: (ΩДΩ)!!!

While Lisa was busy chatting on her phone, Eunha, who had finished taking pictures with her fans, came over to where Lisa stood. Those girls were unwilling to leave, so they followed Eunha and two of the fans were still filming her on their phones.

Lisa put her phone back in her pocket. It just so happened that she looked up and saw the two girls who were shooting the video. Lisa thought about it and unhurriedly put on a black mask.

Eunha found it strange that Lisa decided to wear a mask all of a sudden. Though on second thoughts, she felt relieved.

The Huo family had great genes and everyone in the Huo Family was fairly attractive. Eunha did not wish her fans to catch a glimpse of Lisa’s spectacular face.

Eunha began to apologize to them. “I am sorry. I didn’t know that I would run into some fans at the airport. Sorry about the wait.”

Though she was making it sound like an apology, Lisa could tell from her raised chin that she was deliberately flaunting her popularity.

There was no turbulence in Lisa’s eyes. She just shot Eunha a casual glance and looked away.

“Don’t worry about it. Let’s go.” Jin replied.

Jin’s car was a common, mid-range car and fell in the range of anywhere between two to three hundred thousand bucks. While the car was not expensive, Lisa could deduce that he was not a careless person who would neglect his work, as had been claimed earlier.

After he put Lisa’s suitcase into the trunk, he looked at the time and then asked Eunha, “Eunha, how did you get here?”

Eunha stole a peek at Lisa and then thought of an answer. “The chauffeur drove me here.”

Jin was about to say something when Eunha came forward and clung to his arm intimately. It seemed like a natural and endearing gesture on her part.

“Brother, can I ask you something?” She said in an overly sweet voice.

When Eunha grabbed his arm, Jin frowned but stopped himself from freeing his arm. “What is it?”

Eunha blinked cutely. With innocent expressions and carefully applied make-up, she looked like an angel. “I have been focusing a lot on the talent show recently. I am feeling bad that I haven’t visited mom and dad in a long time. Lili has also just come back. I believe she may find her life here somewhat unfamiliar. I want to come along and stay home for a couple of days. For one thing, I can spend some quality time with mom and dad, for another, I can help Lili get adjusted.”

Jin thought for a few seconds before he nodded in agreement. “Good. We won’t have to worry so much if you can stay with Lili.”

Eunha chuckled lightly at his response. Then, she raised her chin at Lisa and let go of Jin’s arm. She went ahead and sat in the front passenger seat.

She was behaving as if she was the hostess here.

Lisa raised her eyebrows at the other girl’s childish behavior. However, her curled lips were covered by her mask. She did not say anything and simply opened the door and sat on the back seat.

Eunha spent their entire way back to tell Jin stories about the girl group which she had joined. From there, she shifted to talking about the talent show. Every now and then, Eunha would steal glances at Lisa from the rearview mirror. Since Lisa had taken her mask off, Eunha was actively seeking traces of envy on her face.

However, Lisa remained unmoved. She did nothing except for playing on her phone. She was lost in her own world as if nothing else mattered to her.

This was such a huge blow to Eunha’s superiority complex.

Eunha told herself that Lisa could remain this calm because this village girl came from a small county and knew nothing about the entertainment industry.

She soon came up with another idea. She switched from her conversation of the entertainment world and directed her questions towards Lisa. “Lili, we were born in the same year. You should be starting your senior year in high school as well, right?”

Lisa’s fingers paused while on the phone. A moment later, she looked up slowly. The gentle, pale light in the car cast a hue over her face, offsetting some of the sharpness in her eyes.

“Yes.” She replied without any emotion.

Eunha blinked. Somehow, in this moment, she felt Lisa was quite seductive, especially when complimented by her hoarse voice.

Eunha stopped her thoughts from showing on her face and put on a forced smile. “I heard from my mother that when you left my grandmother’s place, you obtained all the documents for school transfer.”

She had deliberately stressed upon the words ‘my mother’ and ‘my grandmother’. Of course, one would not notice if one did not listen carefully.

Lisa grinned and darted a meaningful look towards Eunha.

Eunha felt her heart miss a beat. Immediately, she looked away to avoid eye contact with Lisa. The natural grace had disappeared from Eunha’s voice but she continued speaking, “Have you picked out a school yet? I can ask my father to help if you need it. My mother told me that your grades weren’t exactly…”

“Thank you, but no. I have decided upon which school to attend.” Lisa cut her off, carelessly.

The word ‘great’ remained stuck in Eunha’s throat. A long moment later, she managed to speak even though the smile had frozen on her face unnaturally now. “Have you? Which one?”

Jin, who was busy driving, was surprised to hear this as well.

Because of his work, Jin was away from home often. Even so, he was aware that his parents had been bothered about the school transfer. They were contemplating which school to choose for his baby sister who had been taken away by another family at birth and grew up in a small county after that.

He had realised that his parents’ struggle stemmed from the fact that his sister’s grades were bad. But his parents were unwilling to send her off to an average school. At the same time, they were worried that she could get an inferiority feeling even if they found some connections and managed to get her admitted to a prominent school. This was because she may fall behind in her studies in the new prominent school as well.

In a nutshell, the family had yet to reach a conclusion about which school to choose for her.

Jin blinked again. His sister seemed very composed while uttering those words. It appeared that she was not joking about having decided which school to go to.

Lisa adjusted her sitting posture. She crossed her legs, and replied in an emotionless voice. “No.1 Municipal Middle School.”

As soon as she finished her answer, a strange expression spread on Eunha’s face. She couldn’t help but give Lisa another look, this time with disbelief. “No.1 Middle School? The one in the city?”

Lisa’s answer was just as brief and indifferent as before. “Yep.”

Eunha felt she had just heard the funniest joke in the entire world. She could have bought it if Lisa said, “No.11 Middle School”.

But the No.1 Municipal Middle School? How was that possible?

It was the best high school in the city and ranked amongst the top 5 in the country. The students had to take an entrance exam to get in and those who got the admission, were straight-A students. Lisa, on the other hand, had managed to attend a key school in the small county, and that also because a lot of money was spent to secure her a spot. Eunha hid the contempt in her eyes. Lisa was a really stupid girl.

“The standard to get into No.1 Municipal Middle School is pretty high.” Eunha mentioned with a spurious smile on her face.

Jin also thought that his sister was getting ahead of herself. To help her save face after this big talk, he cleared his throat and chimed in. “Let’s decide after we talk it over with mom and dad.”

Eunha knew that Jin was trying to help Lisa, so she decided not to pursue this topic any further. “Let me know if you need me to do something. My father knows the principals of several schools in the city. At his one word, she would manage to get in most of the places.”

At this point, Jin turned on the music. He did not care much about Eunha’s proposal and merely said, “Hmm…”.

Lisa tapped a finger on her leg in a desultory kind of way. She was not in the mood to continue the conversation and shifted her focus outside the car’s window.

On the street, traffic was busy and neon lights were glistening. The bustling scene at this time of the night was enough to demonstrate the prosperity of the city.

This was something she had not seen in that small county where she came from.

Not long afterwards, they drove into a neighborhood that seemed to have seen better days. The environment here was not great.

Because this was an old neighborhood, the buildings were not very tall. Huo Family’s house was on the top floor, a duplex apartment.

Mr. And Mrs. Huo were waiting by the door. When they heard the elevator’s sound, the two of them looked at each other nervously and then shifted their eyes towards the elevator.

Soon, Jin and Eunha came out with Lisa trailing behind them.

“Dad, mom, we picked up Lili.” Eunha smiled brightly and addressed them in a pleasant voice.

“Well…” Song Chaerin, who was Mrs. Huo merely glanced at Eunha before turning her entire focus to Lisa who was standing behind her. Song Chaerin had to pause before she summoned enough courage to go to Lisa. She was feeling excited and fearful, all at once.

Eunha sensed she had been ignored in this instance and her smiling face turned stiff for a second.

Huo Family was not rich but since she was the youngest in the family, her foster parents had always treated her well. But now that love was about to be taken away by Lisa.

Eunha did not care for their pampering but still, their behavior made her feel upset. She tried hard to conceal that frustration.

Song Chaerin walked over to Lisa and stared at her. Her biological daughter looked exactly like her. Then, she cast a look at Eunha. Mixed feelings began to surge in her heart.

When Eunha was still a kid, every time Song Chaerin took her to a party, Song Chaerin’s girlfriends would stare at Song Chaerin and then at Eunha. They would joke about how little Eunha looked like Song Chaerin and ask if Song Chaerin had picked up the wrong baby at the hospital.

They were not trying to say that Eunha was ugly. It was just that all the other kids in the Huo Family were as delicate as jade. Compared to her brothers, Eunha’s looks were just too plain. To make the matters worse, Song Chaerin and her husband were great lookers, as well. Therefore, Song Chaerin’s friends would always joke about this.

Now that Song Chaerin thought of it, her friends’ jokes had turned out to be a prophecy. Song Chaerin stopped her mind from slipping away any further.

“Lili,” she said, softly.

Just like before, Lisa maintained a straight face. She did not seem overly excited to meet her birth parents and her nod to Song Chaerin was more out of politeness.

Standing by them, Eunha thought this was the perfect opportunity to grab attention. “Mom, Lili has just come back from the countryside. I think she is still trying to adjust to the whole environment.”

She was pretending to put in a good word for Lisa.

Several months ago, Song Chaerin had met Lisa. The former must have realized at the time that Lisa was slightly unsociable and eccentric. Right now, Song Chaerin had just been a bit disappointed that Lisa would not call her mom but other than that, she didn’t think that anything was wrong.

After all, Lisa was given to the wrong family and was sent to a small county by the Lu Family. It was only natural that she would undergo a transitional period to adapt herself after she returned to her birth parents.

There was no hurry.

Song Chaerin darted a look at Eunha but she hid her complicated feelings well enough. Soon, Song Chaerin produced a detached smile and said, “Eunha, thank you so much for what you did tonight. I am grateful that you went to the airport to pick Lili up. It is getting late. Your parents will not be happy that you have come to our house.”

After a pause, Song Chaerin cast a glance at her oldest son who was standing on the side. “Jin, please send Miss Lu home.”

Song Chaerin had addressed Eunha as ‘Eunha’ a moment ago and then immediately changed it to ‘Miss Lu’.

Eunha’s face reddened at once. Before she realised it, her lips had moved and instinctively she said, “Mom…”

Song Chaerin gazed at Eunha. The former felt sad in her heart but she did not show it.

Song Chaerin gathered her thoughts and the smile on her face became even more aloof. Before Eunha could say anything more, Song Chaerin interrupted her. “From now on, you should call me Aunt Song. That is the correct thing to do.”

Lisa was surprised to hear this.

Song Chaerin was graceful and refined. She was in her fifties but wrinkles could hardly be seen on her face. People could easily mistake her as a thirty years old lady. She was smiling but the look on her face indicated an aggressiveness that could not be neglected.

This was something not commonly seen in the average married woman.

Lisa found it interesting.

Eunha stared at her foster mother. She had been thoroughly embarrassed tonight. She bit her lips and tears began to surge in her eyes. Her face turned pale as if she had been wronged.

She could not understand why the person who had loved her so dearly before, could become so distant all of a sudden. Was it simply because of the return of the biological daughter?

How hypocritical was that!

Eunha felt that all of them had deceived her.

For a moment, things became awkward.

“Eh-ahem.” Huo Jiyong, Lisa’s father, who had not said a thing till now, cleared his throat.

“Jin, give Eunha a ride back to her home, first.”

He was attempting to break the ice but somehow, things became even more awkward.

Jin nodded. He didn’t know why his parents wouldn’t want Eunha to stay. However, he did not voice his questions out loud.

After all, Eunha was the precious daughter of the wealthy Lu Family, which meant that her identity was unusual. Besides, the Lu Family were not people to be messed with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HUO JIYONG

SONG CHAERIN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me if there are any mistakes and if you enjoy this chapter do consider voting..