Self Sabotage

After pausing for a few seconds, Chen Yu was worried that Lisa might get nervous, so she added. "Although there are members of the Education Association present, there is nothing to fear. Just tell them whatever they ask you."

Lisa nodded and went to the Principal's office quickly.

Two middle aged men were sitting in the Principal's office with him. They were probably the men from the Education Association, whom Chen Yu had mentioned.

Lisa glanced at them before she turned her eyes to the Principal and bowed as she said, "Did you want to see me, Sir?"

"Mhm," replied the Principal as he beamed and waved at her.

"Come over. I want to introduce you to a couple of people. These are members of the Education Association. This is the Secretary-General, Tian Ye, and this is their honorary member, Zhao Lian."

Lisa nodded at them without the slightest fear or anxiety.

The Secretary-General raised his brow. This young woman looked to be rather calm. He cleared his throat and said, "Huo Lisa, right? Can I ask you a question?"

Lisa looked at him with her bright eyes and said, "Please go ahead."

The Secretary-General straightened his body before he asked. "Judging from your solutions for both tests, you didn't use the standard methods taught in schools. Did you hire a teacher to coach you?"

His question made even the Principal curious.

"No, I didn't," replied Lisa calmly.

A few seconds later, she suddenly asked in return. "Does this have anything to with the 10 points deduction from my city level heats?"

The Secretary-General was shocked that Lisa had not undergone any external coaching and also by her keen sense of perception.

He nodded and replied in a calm voice. "Yes, you're right. You should have gotten full marks for both your written paper and on-site quiz, but the last two solutions you gave were beyond the scope. Although you answered correctly, we deducted 5 points each as a matter of principle."

"Beyond the scope?" asked Lisa quizzically as she narrowed her eyes.

Zhao Lian cleared his throat and clarified. "It means that you can't use methods that are beyond the middle school syllabus to solve the questions."

"So it doesn't matter even if I got the answer correct?" asked Lisa as she frowned.

She had not known about these rules.

Zhao Lian explained further. "Going beyond the scope violates the principles of fairness. Since we didn't stipulate any methods, we only deducted 10 points in total. It would have been unfair to give you a zero on both questions."

Lisa fell into silence after she heard them.

Although easier methods were available to her, they insisted that she use more complicated methods to get the answers step by step. It seemed she did not understand the academic circle well enough.

Moments later, Lisa said, "So I can only stick to the middle school syllabus when I go for the quizzes to avoid such baffling deductions?"

"In theory, that's how it works," said the Secretary-General with a smile.

Lisa rubbed her forehead woefully and replied. "Okay, I get it."

She had sabotaged herself, and it seemed that it was wrong to overperform.