Fake Acceptance Letter

Song Chaerin was still trying to take in the situation in her mind when she heard Lisa’s voice.

“These pellets can only ease your pain temporarily but are not suitable for long-term application. If you want to cure your migraine problem once and for all…” Lisa stopped for a second before she continued speaking, “Later when time permits… I will ask my friend to send over better ones.”

Song Chaerin stared at her, “Are you saying that my migraine can go away permanently?”

Lisa raised her eyebrows. “Of course.”

This task might not be achievable for others, but for her, pff… it was nothing more than a child’s play.

Song Chaerin tapped at her nose, thoughtfully. She could not believe her daughter’s words. After all, most doctors had told her that there was no permanent treatment for her migraine attacks.

Song Chaerin noticed the small bottle in her husband’s hand. “Have you given the same one to your dad?”

They were living in modern society. However, Lisa used the word ‘pellets’, and she put them into ceramic bottles, which suggested primitive simplicity as if the bottles belonged to the past centuries.

Song Chaerin’s mind was going into wild flights of fancy.

Lisa shook her head. “No.”

“Then what is in mine?” Huo Jiyong was also very curious to know. Till now, his attention had been fixed on his wife and he had not opened his bottle yet.

A lock of hair fell on her cheek. Lisa tucked the hair strands behind her ear as she replied in her trademark lazy tone. “That does not contain any specific medicine. You can think of it as a kind of invigorator. You can take one every month. It will help you stay fit and strong.”

“Pff…”

Huo Jiyong’s face and ears start to burn. The little ceramic bottle almost fell from his hand.

What an insult to his masculinity!

“Haha.” Song Chaerin reacted to the funny look on her husband’s face. She could not help but break into laughter.

How adorable was her daughter? She had given her father a health boosting tonic.

After a long time, Huo Jiyong heaved a silent sigh. He turned around and found a delicately carved rosewood box and carefully placed the bottle inside.

He did not need it. Nevertheless, this was the first gift which he had received from his daughter. He must cherish it.

Song Chaerin kept on rolling her eyes.

Lisa was still thinking about Song Chaerin’s migraine when she headed back upstairs post breakfast.

Song Chaerin suddenly remembered the serious business she had to talk about, with Lisa and stopped her daughter at once. “Look at me. I almost forgot the most important thing.”

Lisa raised her eyebrows and stared at her mom with crystal-clear eyes.

“It’s about the school transfer.” Song Chaerin explained. In a few days, the new semester was about to begin. They needed to decide upon it within the next couple of days.

“Your dad and I have considered several options. I am going to share all the information with you, and then you can select the one you like.” With that said, Song Chaerin bent over to pull out the drawer located near the table. From that, she took out a pile of brochures.

“See, this is No.3 Middle School. The teachers there are average, but the good thing is that the school is close to home. You won’t have to live on campus.”

“This is the No.11 Middle School. Their enrolment ratio of getting into prestigious and second-tier universities is low, but the chance to enter into art and music majors is much higher than that of other key middle schools.”

“And this is the Desheng Foreign Language School. The tuition fee is high. However, this is an outstanding middle school that is only second to No.1 Middle School. Your dad and I really like this school.”

Song Chaerin picked out the brochure of Desheng and showed it to Lisa. “This school requires admission tests, but your dad and I pulled some strings. They told us that you could get in without taking the test.”

Lisa could not manage to speak at all during all this time. She let her eyes roam on the various brochures but didn’t pay much attention to them. Her mind was elsewhere.

She had gotten to know about Desheng and understood that it was a private school built on the foundation of money and specifically set up for the elites.

The teachers were qualified, and the students’ educational levels were strictly assessed. Desheng would have only two types of students, the star students, and the rich students.

In a nutshell, with money, anyone could get in.

Hence…

“Have you already given them the money?” After a moment of silence, Lisa asked a question with a serious look on her face.

Her parents were startled by this solemn expression. They looked at each other and then.

“Yes.”

“No.”

The one giving the affirmative answer was Song Chaerin, and the one giving the negative one was Huo Jiyong.

They hadn’t gotten their stories straight yet. They looked at each other again, and both seemed to scold the other, silently.

Lisa stared at them, grinning faintly. How amusing.

Lisa’s stare made Song Chaerin feel diffident. She gave a hint to her husband to explain the matter, through a gentle kick on his foot.

Having received the instructions from his dear wife, Huo Jiyong cleared this throat and sat up straight. Even in his fifties, he was still really handsome. He adopted a serious attitude and explained. “If you decide to go to this school, both your mom and I will be happy.”

Lisa was relaxed when she heard this. He had answered her question indirectly. “I am glad that you have not given them any money yet. That’s because I have already decided which school to attend.”

The Huo Family did not seem to be a poverty-stricken household but securing advantages through money was unnecessary.

“Have you decided already? Which one?” Song Chaerin asked in a hurry.

Lisa lowered her eyes and gave a brief answer. “No.1 Middle School.”

Both Song Chaerin and Huo Jiyong were stunned into surprise.

No.1 Middle School?

Was there something wrong with their ears?

Song Chaerin cleared her throat. She could not believe this. “Dear, did you just say… No.11 Middle School?”

Lisa put down the brochures, tilted her head, and flashed a grin. “No, No.1 Middle School.”

“Well, are you being funny? Can you say it again? Which middle school?”

They did not expect that Lisa could remain so nonchalant about this.

Lisa raised her eyebrows, and her eyes were sparkling. She answered, earnestly. “I am not joking. Only No.1 Middle School is up to my standard.”

Song Chaerin’s facial expressions changed drastically. “I know that No.1 Middle School is the best, but you don’t have what it takes to go there.”

She had learnt about her daughter’s grades when she was in grade one of high school. She was, without a doubt, the worst student there.

Huo Jiyong had been startled by her daughter’s answer and involuntarily, his tone became sterner. “Those attending the No.1 Middle School are the straight-A students. Your grades… Even if you manage to get in, it won’t necessarily be a good thing for you.”

Song Chaerin nodded along. “Right, listen to your dad. We don’t need you to do so well in school. We want you to be happy. We are okay if you can get into an average university in future.”

There was no need for her to graduate from any famous college to boost up the appearance of their family. All four of their sons were graduates of well-known universities. They were enough to bring prestige to the family.

Therefore, Song Chaerin picked up the brochures and tried to stuff them into Lisa’s hands. “Lili, take a look at these schools. I can give a call to Desheng Middle School right now. Let’s go with this one!”

“That is a good choice. I support your mother.”

Lisa was speechless that her parents were focussed on talking her out of attending the No.1 Middle School.

“Wait a minute.” Saying so, she got up and ran upstairs.

Soon, Lisa came back downstairs with a letter in her hand. She walked upto Song Chaerin and handed it over.

Song Chaerin looked at the letter and took it after a slight hesitation. “This is…”

“Acceptance Letter from No.1 Middle School.” Lisa sounded composed.

However, Song Chaerin was still in disbelief. The stamp in the center of the envelope struck her immobile.

For a long moment, she was unable to open the envelope.

Huo Jiyong snatched the Acceptance Letter from his wife and opened it up, impatiently. After reading it, he looked up at Lisa with a baffled expression.

Their daughter had said it a couple of times that she had decided upon her school. What she meant was that she had not selected one from the options which they provided. She seemed to have made her choice a long time ago.

The date on the Acceptance Letter was from last month.

But… weren’t their daughter’s grades a disaster?

Why would No.1 Middle School accept her?

Song Chaerin finally came back to her senses. She read through the Acceptance Letter carefully to make sure that her husband did not read it wrong. Just like him, she had so many questions in her heart. She looked at Lisa, ready with her queries.

Suddenly, Lisa’s phone began to buzz in her pocket. She took it out and saw that the number was unknown. A hint of darkness came over her eyes.

“I have to answer this first.” She said to Song Chaerin and Huo Jiyong and excused herself.

Then, she walked out to the balcony and closed the door behind her.

Song Chaerin looked at her receding back and mumbled. “Say, why do you think our daughter has an Acceptance Letter from the No.1 Middle School? Look at the stamp. Do you think this could be a fake?”

Huo Jiyong thought for a long time and finally said, “I don’t think this is fake.”

He shook his head, as if still perplexed.

“But think of the standard for admission into the No.1 Middle School. How can Lili get through, with her grades? Didn’t Eunha tell us that she had to bribe someone to get into the middle school which she was in?”

Song Chaerin only doubted about the acceptance letter because she knew her daughter was not a good student.

Huo Jiyong considered that possibility before saying, “Don’t overthink this. You must trust your daughter.”

Song Chaerin sighed. “I am not saying I don’t trust her. I am just afraid that someone could have fooled her.”

Huo Jiyong looked at her in puzzlement.

Song Chaerin was anxious because he did not seem to show deep fatherly love towards their daughter, as she had expected.

Worriedly, she elaborated on her previous sentence. “Our daughter grew up in the wrong family in that small county. She has never seen the dark side of society. Think about it. Where did she get this Acceptance Letter from?”

“The school mailed it to her. Where else?” Huo Jiyong was even more confused about his wife’s anxiety.

Song Chaerin scratched her head. “How do I put this? I am just wondering if your daughter has made friends with the wrong crowd. Do you remember what that teacher told us when we went to the county city to ask about her?”

Huo Jiyong frowned and then darted a glance at Lisa who was still on the phone call in the balcony.

She was leaning to one side with her left hand on the railing. Her finger was tapping casually on it. With the door between them, he could not hear what she was saying.

Soon, she hung up and turned around. His gaze met her eyes. She raised her eyebrows as if saying that she had been aware of his scrutiny all this while.

Flustered, Huo Jiyong felt his heart skip a beat.

Lisa came back to the living room. Before Song Chaerin and Huo Jiyong could say anything, Lisa put forward her question first. “Mom, what is our mailing address? A friend of mine is going to send me something.”

She was ready with her phone to take down the address.

Song Chaerin told her the same but immediately, she lowered her voice and asked anxiously. “Your friend? Someone you befriended when you were staying with Eunha’s grandma?”

Lisa was texting someone. Her fingers paused for a second when Song Chaerin asked the question. She gave Song Chaerin a look and nodded her head.

Song Chaerin was about to ask more questions when Huo Jiyong yanked her arm and shook his head at her.

Our daughter has just come back, so we cannot intervene too much. There will be ample time for it.

Lisa finished her message and put her phone back to her pocket. Then she asked Song Chaerin. “Were you about to ask me something?”

Song Chaerin hesitated for a bit. Eventually, she shook her head with a smile. “Nope.”

She thought for a few seconds. “I almost forgot. Eunha is in No.1 Middle School as well. I will give her a call later and ask her to look after you. You both grew up in the wrong families but she is a nice girl. I think the two of you can get along.”

What Eunha said last night was unpleasant. Even so, Song Chaerin felt she would be less concerned if Eunha could take care of Lisa, who had just come to a new environment. At the end of the day, Song Chaerin believed Eunha was someone she knew well.

Lisa remembered when she first met Eunha last night and how ‘bitchy’ she was. But to her mother’s suggestion, Lisa just grinned and agreed.

“Did you know that Eunha is in a talent show? What is it called?” The name of the show escaped Song Chaerin’s mind. She slapped her forehead gently.

“The Star Training Camp.” Huo Jiyong jumped in.

“Right, Star Training Camp. Lili, have you watched the show? I heard that it’s quite popular.” Song Chaerin thought that all young people must be following this show.

But Lisa was not interested. “I have not.”

Song Chaerin was about to say, “You can cast a vote for Eunha”.

But after Lisa gave her the answer, those words changed. “Ah, you don’t watch it?”

“No. It is a waste of time.” Lisa added after a second. “Affects studying.”

Song Chaerin could not find an appropriate response to that.

Lisa did not wish to continue this nonsense, so she switched the subject. “My brothers don’t live here?”

Song Chaerin said, “They have not stayed here for a long time. They all have their respective work to take care of.”

A few seconds later, fearing that her daughter might misinterpret those words, Song Chaerin explained. “Your return is kind of sudden. Apart from your big brother, your other three brothers are not in the city. You will meet them when they have time to come back.”

Lisa was intrigued by what Song Chaerin said. Lisa thought for a bit and decided to seek clarification. “They all have their own work?”

Song Chaerin was confused. Why would her daughter ask such a question? Still, she nodded her head in reply.

Lisa did not pursue the topic any further and said, “I’ll go to my room now.”

After she went back to her bedroom, Lisa stared at the laptop on her desk for a few seconds. Then, she moved her fingers nimbly and turned it on.

The laptop was brand new. Nothing was on the desktop, which meant there were no messy software installs.

Lisa opened a website and typed a string of English words in the search column and pressed ‘Enter’.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me if there are any mistakes and if you enjoy this chapter do consider voting..