Large Transfer Of Money

Lisa left her grandma’s apartment, hailed a cab, and went back to the Huo Family.

After she arrived, she saw some shiny and formal male shoes by the door. Were her parents entertaining guests?

She thought for a few seconds and then put the house keys back in her bag. Lisa turned towards the elevator, and pushed the button. Since the elevator was still on this floor, the door opened at once, and Lisa went back in.

Reaching the ground floor, she took a seat on the bench kept outside. Her looks were spectacularly eye-catching and whoever went by her, even kids, could not stop sneaking repeated glances at her.

Lisa was wearing a hooded sweatshirt. To avoid becoming the center of attention, she put on the hood and took out her phone. Soon, no more people would stare at her.

Lisa played several rounds of a multiplayer online battle arena game which she had downloaded some time ago. She logged off from the game after a while because the game was not challenging enough. Suddenly, she remembered a certain someone and opened her WeChat.

She only had a few friends on WeChat. She browsed through the contact list and unblocked the person nicknamed [Y] whom she had once found annoying. She sent a message to that person after thinking for a bit.

Medicine Pill: [Be careful in the near future. Do not go out if you don’t have to.]

That person must be online right now because the moment her message was sent, Y had typed many replies already.

Y: [OMG, finally, the big shot has remembered me.]

Y: [You have no idea what I went through recently. I was in hell!]

Y: [I am always hungry, and I don’t have enough clothes to wear. I had to stay on my knees in the ancestral hall. So exhausting.]

Y: [Please, can you help me get out of here? I miss the air outside.]

Medicine Pill: [… You must not be worn out enough if you still have so much energy left to type these many words.]

Y: [???? Are you serious?]

Medicine Pill: [Logging off now.]

Y: [Hold on. What did you mean by telling me to be careful? Can you be a bit more specific?]

However, when the last message was sent, the reply that Y received was a red exclamation mark with the words, “Message delivery failed. Message delivery denied.”

Y: [???] #!

Again the same message.

Y: [(ΩДΩ)] #!

And again, the message delivery had failed, and been denied!

**

Lisa logged out of her WeChat. She looked up and saw a few bulky men in identical black suits stepping out of the lobby. The person leading the group carried a silver color, coded case.

These people looked like a bunch of hooligans who had just finished collecting their fees. They walked in an orderly array and created a vibe that warned everyone to stay away. The residents in the neighbourhood walking by looked wary of them.

Lisa squinted, and by chance, she happened to notice their shining shoes. How intriguing.

But the men failed to notice Lisa. They headed straight to the garage from the lobby. They knew the way well, so they must be familiar with the neighbourhood, and must have come often.

Lisa frowned. After those men were out of her sight, she stood up. She thought for a bit, and then went back to the building. Getting inside the elevator, she went home.

When she exited the elevator, she saw that those shining black leather shoes were gone from outside her house’s door.

Lisa made sure that she had wiped off the questions from her face before she took out her keys and opened the door.

Song Chaerin was tidying up some cartons in the living room when Lisa’s unexpected coming back startled her. The account book slipped off from her hand and fell to the ground.

Song Chaerin’s face froze in genuine surprise. She quickly picked up the accounts book and stuffed it into one of the cartons and said, “Lili… why are you back so soon? Didn’t you say you were going to spend the day with Grandma Yang?”

Huo Jiyong was wearing glasses and holding a calculator. He looked at his watch and asked Lisa in confusion, as well. “Honey, you’ve only been out for a couple of hours. Did you forget something?”

Lisa gave a fleeting glance towards the paper carton placed in front of Song Chaerin and replied with a straight face as if she had not noticed anything out of place. “Grandma Yang had visitors, so I came back.”

Song Chaerin answered. “Oh, I see…”

“Then you haven’t had lunch yet, right? Your dad and I didn’t know that you were coming home for lunch, so I haven’t cooked anything yet. Wait a moment. I am going to clean this up and make lunch.” Song Chaerin added quickly.

Having said so, Song Chaerin placed a few accounting books into the carton quickly, along with her husband’s calculator.

“Put those things back in our bedroom. I’ll go and cook lunch.” Song Chaerin said to Huo Jiyong.

“Right away.” Huo Jiyong replied as he put down his glasses.

He picked up the cartons, and went upstairs.

Lisa stared at his back, for a moment, in wonder. Then, Lisa followed Song Chaerin to the kitchen.

She helped Song Chaerin trim some vegetables and, at the same time, asked a seemingly random question. “Did you have any guests over today?”

Song Chaerin shook her head. “Nope. Why do you ask?” Did her daughter run into their accountants? Song Chaerin thought to herself.

Lisa kept her eyes down, and replied in a calm tone. “I saw some clean slippers in the shoe cabinet just now.”

There was nothing out of the ordinary in her voice.

Song Chaerin’s hand trembled slightly. “I cleaned the shoe cabinet this morning. Your dad interrupted me in the middle of it. I might have forgotten to put those extra slippers back because of that.” She explained, smilingly.

“Mm.” Lisa said. A few seconds later, she brought up another topic. “Mom, I met a group of guys dressed in dark suits, downstairs.”

Again, Song Chaerin’s hand trembled. She was about to give another explanation when she heard Lisa’s voice, one more time.

Lisa looked at Song Chaerin with a solemn look and said, “Those people looked fierce and violent, the kind of people who give threatening calls. Mom, do we owe someone money?”

Song Chaerin felt guilty in her heart and shook her head in negative. “No, we don’t owe anyone money!”

After a pause, she asked in a quiet voice. “The people whom you mentioned, do they really look scary?”

“Yes. They don’t look like good people.” Lisa gave an honest answer.

Song Chaerin was going to say, “They are just our company’s accountants, not someone pressing us for money.”

But she swallowed back those words after Lisa’s reaction.

Indeed, her husband was right. The people from their company had a terrifying look. Song Chaerin believed that Lisa would be scared even if she were to tell her that they were simply accountants. Maybe, Lisa would even wonder if her parents were running some illegal business.

No. I cannot let Lisa find out the truth.

Song Chaerin made up her mind in that minute. Her countenance betrayed nothing unusual as she said, “I think probably someone living on this floor has borrowed money from a loan shark. Remember to avoid those people next time when you see them.”

Lisa turned around to look at Song Chaerin. Lisa’s long eyelashes cast a faint shadow over her eyelids, hiding her expressions. She didn’t ask any more questions and pulled out the last batch of the vegetables from the basket.

After lunch, Lisa went back to her room, leaving Song Chaerin and Huo Jiyong in the dining room by themselves.

Song Chaerin remained seated at the table, delaying the washing of utensils. She stayed there so that she could tell her husband about her conversation with her daughter which happened earlier in the kitchen.

“I think our daughter believes that we owe people money.” Song Chaerin rested her elbow on the table, looking worried.

Lisa hadn’t pressed her with too many questions post that. Nevertheless, Song Chaerin instinctively believed that Lisa must have misread some signs.

Huo Jiyong looked at her and asked. “Is it really that bad? She just happened to run into our accountants downstairs.”

Song Chaerin shook her head. “No, that’s not it. Her first question for me was if we had any guests over today.”

“I think you are overthinking this. She might have just asked those questions casually. Besides, I don’t think Lili is an overly sensitive girl.” Huo Jiyong was still taking it casually.

“I certainly hope so.” Song Chaerin heaved a sigh.

All of a sudden, her eyes began to sparkle and she proposed a new idea. “How about we give her another bank card? That way, she will not misunderstand that we owe people money.”

Huo Jiyong actually found this to be feasible. But he suddenly remembered something and said, “She has not used the black card that I gave her last time, even once.”

Song Chaerin raised her eyebrows but then replied with a shrug. “That is not a problem. I can just withdraw some cash for her.”

“Cash won’t work, either. That day, when I was driving her to school, I wanted to withdraw some cash on our way. But she told me that all young people nowadays use phones to pay their bills. Cash is not convenient.” Huo Jiyong shook his head and vetoed this idea.

“Well… how about we transfer some money to her on WeChat? Right! Why did I forget about WeChat?” Song Chaerin tapped her head. She hurried up and went to the living room to get her phone.

She had befriended Lisa on WeChat a long time ago. Soon, she found Lisa’s name on the contact list and clicked on the ‘transfer’ button while discussing with her husband. “How much do you think I should give to Lili? Half a million? A million?”

Huo Jinyin frowned and shook his head. “Don’t be so over the top. You will scare her.”

After all, the Huo Family had always been abiding by the rule of maintaining a low-key appearance and staying away from ostentatiousness. Not even Eunha knew about the actual wealth of the family. It was her belief that the Huo Family was merely an average one.

Of course, had Eunha been observant enough, she would have noticed that nothing in the Huo Family was average.

Song Chaerin rolled her eyes at her husband. “Why didn’t you think of keeping a low profile when you gave her the black card the other day?”

Huo Jiyong cleared his throat and pretended that he didn’t hear his wife’s question.

Song Chaerin thought for a bit and proposed. “How about I give her a hundred thousand? That is low-key enough, right?”

Huo Jiyong agreed. “Sure.”

Song Chaerin typed in the amount which she was about to transfer. She clicked on ‘Confirm’ and saw a message popping out about the transfer limit.

“Are you kidding me? I cannot transfer so much money at one time.” Song Chaerin’s face became clouded.

What kind of crappy restriction was this? This was going to sabotage her effort to remove her daughter’s misunderstanding. It was very important that Lisa should not get a wrong impression of her family.

Huo Jiyong stroked his eyebrow and said, “How about you give her ten thousand every day? In this way, our daughter can receive pocket money on a daily basis. She will be much happier. Don’t you think?”

Song Chaerin nodded and confirmed the new transfer amount while saying, “Yes. That is a good idea. I believe that this will bring me closer to my daughter.”

When Huo Jiyong heard his wife’s thoughts about growing closer, it got him thinking. Without saying anything, he took out his phone as well.

Lisa was in the midst of pulling out her suitcase, which she had brought back from the county, from the closet when she heard her phone chime.

But she didn’t go and check her phone immediately. Instead, she took her time to open her suitcase and dug out a long, rectangular box from it.

The box contained incense sticks as long as the length of one’s finger. There weren’t too many left in the box, but they should be enough to last Grandma Yang a month or two. Lisa closed the box and put it on the desk.

At that time, she heard the notification of her WeChat again.

She only picked up her phone after she had placed the suitcase back into the closet. Surprised, she saw two messages informing her of money transfers.

She unlocked her phone and opened WeChat.

The two transfers were from her mom and dad, who were currently sitting downstairs. They had sent identical sums of 10,000 yuan respectively, which was quite a lot.

Lisa rubbed her forehead. Her parent’s actions befuddled her. She held her phone and spent a long time thinking about something. Eventually, she sent her parents two question marks instead of accepting the transfer.

Soon, Ms. Song, which was Song Chaerin’s WeChat name, sent a message: [Honey, this is your allowance for next week. Come on, accept it. Kisses~ Mommy loves you~]

Lisa stared at her mother’s reply, silently.

A few seconds later, she wrote back: [… I still have money.]

Ms. Song: [No problem, just take it. It’s from mommy. There is no harm for a girl to have a bit more money.]

Ms. Song: [Honey, if you don’t take it, I will have no other choice but to buy you more clothes with this money!]

Lisa looked at the closet full of clothes, still in mint condition. Her mouth twitched. She clicked the button to accept the money, immediately.

At the same time, she saw a message from her father, as well.

I Am Huo Jiyong: [Honey, last time you told me that cash was not convenient to use. Hence, I went to the bank to activate my online banking account. I have just added that to my WeChat. Come on and accept this money.]

Lisa was speechless.

I would have believed you if the story was a little more authentic sounding.

Soon, she began to type her reply.

Medicine Pill: [If I don’t accept it, you are going to give me the money in another way, aren’t you?]

I Am Huo Jiyong: [Wow, baby, you are so smart!]

Medicine Pill: [… Alright.]

Therefore, Lisa received two large sums of money, despite still being puzzled about the reason for it. As a matter of fact, in the following days to come, she would receive her parents’ transfers regularly and forcefully, which they referred to as, ‘allowance’.

Lisa ended her conversation with both of them and turned around to face her desk. After a few seconds, she pulled up a number from the contact list and made a call.

Soon, the call went through, and she heard a deep and refreshing male voice. “Kid, to what do I owe the pleasure of this call?”

Lisa curled her lips at the word ‘kid’. However, since she was going to ask him for something, she didn’t bother to correct the nickname. “Are you busy? I need some help.”

Jungkook waved his hand to stop his men from continuing with their reports. He leaned against the chair and went on. “Do tell. What do you need me to do?”

Lisa did not beat around the bush and came straight to the point. “Help me send something to Grandma Yang.”

Jungkook initially thought she had encountered something grave but her demand was unexpected.

Jungkook didn’t say anything for a while which Lisa interpreted as that he was unwilling to help out. “Never mind. I know you are busy.”

Saying so, she was ready to hang up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me if there are any mistakes and if you enjoy this chapter do consider voting..