Icy Eye Candy

“Listen, kid, you need to work on your patience limit.” Jungkook seemed to have sighed in between his comment. His gentle voice brushed past her ears like a breeze.

Lisa moved her finger away from the call disconnect button on the phone. She rolled her eyes and asked again. “So, are you going to help me?”

Jungkook grinned. “Are you in a rush?”

Lisa thought about it and gave him an honest answer. “Not really. But, if you have time today, it’ll be the best.”

“Sure. Text me the address. I will send someone to pick it up.”

“Thank you. I’ll send you the location later. ”

Lisa ended the call as soon as she finished speaking. She opened up her WeChat and found the contact number of the ‘neighbour boy’. Without any hesitation, she sent the location of her community to him.

*

Jungkook received Lisa’s message, and replied with an ‘OK’. He looked up and saw his subordinates who were standing not far away from him. Every one of them looked shocked.

Jungkook squinted and the kind expression on his face faded away, instantly. “That will be all for today. Dismissed.”

His voice was cold.

So cold that his subordinates trembled. Quaking with fear, those subordinates looked away and hurried out without making any sound.

Hoseok was the last to leave, and Jungkook stopped him.

“Hoseok, I need you to pick something up.”

Hoseok halted, and gazed at his boss in silence for a few seconds. Post that, he asked, with extreme caution. “Picking something up from Lisa?”

Jungkook twirled his phone and answered. “Mm.”

The look on Hoseok’s face was complicated. Nonetheless, no matter how many questions he had, he couldn’t dare ask even one of them. He nodded as a reply and turned around to leave.

The moment Hoseok was about to step out of the door, Jungkook, who had been leaning against his chair, stood up all of a sudden. “Never mind. I will go myself.”

Hoseok, “…”

Are you still the boss that I know?

**

Twenty minutes later, Jungkook arrived in Lisa’s neighborhood.

He sent Lisa a WeChat message to inform her of his arrival. Soon, he saw a slender girl coming out from the aged iron gate.

He lowered the car window and gazed at the girl as she came closer. A trace of curiosity was visible in his handsome face. “Why don’t you go to your grandma’s house yourself since it’s the weekend?”

Lisa gave him the wooden box and answered calmly. “Today is not a good day.”

Jungkook glanced at the wooden box and then grinned at Lisa. “Your foster mother wouldn’t let you visit, right?”

Lisa glared at him. It was some time before she gave a response. “For those who don’t know better, would think that you have planted a surveillance camera around me.”

Jungkook chuckled and shook his head. “Your family’s problem is obvious. It’s not that hard to figure out.”

Lisa clasped her fists like a swordswoman from the ancient times. “Thank you for helping me out. I will buy you dinner someday.”

Jungkook raised his eyebrows. “Do you honestly have so much trust in me?”

Lisa was about to go back when she heard his question and halted. A gentle breeze was flowing, bringing some hair to her cheeks.

She tucked the loose hair behind her ear and cast her eyes on Jungkook. A distant smile sprang on her face. “That’s not the reason. Actually, this thing is not so expensive.”

With that said, she left. What a tsundere girl!

Even though the girl was walking further and further away, Jungkook kept gazing in her direction. After a long time, he recovered and broke into a laugh, shaking his head. How tsundere was she!

Hoseok was on the driver’s seat, and had witnessed his boss’s reaction by looking through the rear view mirror. Lisa’s arrogance didn’t seem to annoy Jungkook, at all. Again, Hoseok asked himself if this person indeed was his boss.

Someone must have switched his boss with an impostor!

“Go.” Jungkook cast a glance at Hoseok. The former’s voice had turned indifferent, nothing like the warm honeyed version from a few minutes ago.

Hoseok, “…”

Nope. His boss has not changed.

Hoseok started the car and, at the same time, threw a glance at the wooden box which Jungkook was holding.

Out of curiosity, Hoseok said, “This box seemed to be pretty old. I wonder what is inside.”

Jungkook lowered his eyes. The box was made of sandalwood with relievo on its edges. The corners of the box looked worn down, and the color of the box was deep. Therefore, it did appear to be from ancient times.

However, a mark on the edge of the box seemed to be familiar. Jungkook thought hard for a minute. He seemed to have seen it somewhere.

Deep in thought, Jungkook touched the lever on the box but eventually decided not to look inside. He put it on the seat and looked outside through the window. He cautioned Hoseok in a soft voice. “Curiosity killed the cat.”

Hoseok, “…”

Does this Lisa possess some extraordinary powers?

About half an hour later, Hoseok drove Jungkook to the community where Grandma Yang lived.

“I’ll go and drop it.” Hoseok shifted the gear into parking and unfastened his safety belt.

Jungkook cast his sight on the wooden box. “No. Let me. You wait here.” Jungkook turned down Hoseok’s proposal.

This answer startled Hoseok yet again. He took a second to calm himself down before he cautioned Jungkook. “Be careful.”

Jungkook glared at him. “Don’t be so high-strung all the time.”

Then, Jungkook got off with the wooden box in his hand. In the car, Hoseok touched his nose and grumbled. “Being vigilant is my second nature!”

**

Jungkook got into the elevator and soon arrived on Grandma Yang’s floor. He pushed the doorbell button.

About a couple of minutes later, the inner door opened. Grandma Yang opened the security door after she saw the person standing outside, clearly. “Jungkook, I am glad to see you here.”

Jungkook smiled politely at her. “Hi, Grandma Yang.”

“Come on in.”

Grandma Yang found a pair of clean slippers for him and said, “How did you find time to come today? Do you not have classes?”

Jungkook changed into the slippers and followed Grandma Yang into the living room. “I have the afternoon off, so I could come and see you.”

Jungkook took a look at the living room and gave her the wooden box. “Grandma Yang, Lisa asked me to bring this to you this afternoon.”

Grandma Yang was holding a cup of water which she was about to give to Jungkook. His words startled her. Her hands trembled, and the cup fell from her hand to the ground. With a clang, the cup broke into pieces, and water spilled everywhere.

Jungkook put the wooden box on the side table and said, “Grandma Yang, let me take care of it.”

He reached out and helped Grandma Yang to the sofa. He was about to go and clean up the broken glasses when Grandma Yang grabbed his arm.

Her face was pale. She stared at Jungkook, lips trembling. With tremendous efforts, she managed to shake a full sentence out of her mouth, “Lili… She won’t come to see me anymore, is it?”

To his surprise, Jungkook found that Grandma Yang looked badly shaken up at this moment.

Still baffled, Jungkook said nothing in reply.

Grandma Yang forced a smile and went on. “This morning, Lili came, and bought me so many things. But neither of us expected that my daughter would come… My daughter is mean, and she never liked Lili.”

“My daughter used harsh language. So, Lili stayed here for less than an hour and left in anger.”

“Lili must be angry. That must be why she is not coming in person to drop this.”

Grandma Yang teared up, and would not let go of Jungkook’s arm as if letting him go would mean that he would not listen to her and abandon her. Grandma Yang was blaming herself.

Jungkook got a general idea of what happened. No wonder that girl asked him to help her deliver the box.

But, given how mature the girl was, she would not be so easily displeased.

When Grandma Yang stabilized a bit, Jungkook comforted her tenderly. “Grandma Yang, don’t worry so much about it. Lisa is just worried that she will run into your daughter if she comes again. That is why she asked me to bring this to you.”

Grandma Yang listened to his explanation with a pinch of salt. “Do… do you mean it?”

Jungkook nodded. He was a man of integrity, and his deep eyes seemed to contain a persuasive power that made people trust him.

Grandma Yang’s disturbed mind miraculously calmed down. She picked up the wooden box from the side table.

She flipped open the clip-on button although Jungkook was still here. When she saw the incense sticks inside, a warm smile spread over her face, unknowingly.

Her granddaughter was not abandoning her. She still cared about her.

She had sensed her grandmother’s troubled sleep and despite being wronged by her foster mother, she still asked Jungkook to send her the incense sticks.

Grandma Yang wiped her tears off and closed the box. She said to Jungkook, in an embarrassed voice, “I forgot myself for a moment there. Sorry.”

Jungkook was still staring at the wooden box in Grandma Yang’s hand. After a moment of contemplation, he said, “It’s okay. I understand.”

“Lili is a good kid. She could figure that I was suffering from insomnia, so she bought those nerve-soothing incense sticks for me… Alas, my daughter is not fortunate enough to be Lili’s mom.”

Grandma Yang heaved a long sigh. She staggered to a cabinet, opened a drawer and put the wooden box inside.

Jungkook listened patiently as Grandma Yang continued to chat. There was something on his mind, but no one knew what it was.

**

Half an hour later, Jungkook left Yang Qiuhua’s apartment.

Hoseok noticed that Jungkook got into the car in a preoccupied manner. He couldn’t help but ask. “What happened?”

Jungkook looked up and gave Hoseok a casual look. “Nothing.”

Hoseok did not pursue the topic any further.

Jungkook tapped his finger on his knee every now and then. All of a sudden, he came up with an idea. He took out his phone and sent Lisa a message telling her that he had finished the task.

Lisa probably did not have her phone with her at that time because it was 10 minutes later that Jungkook finally got a reply. It was a simple one with merely two words, ‘Thank you’.

Nothing else.

Jungkook grinned. He must have grown used to Lisa’s indifferent attitude.

He began to type another message: [Where did you buy the nerve-soothing incense sticks for your grandma? Someone in my family is suffering from insomnia as well.]

Lisa was busy studying. Having said thanks to Jungkook, she put her phone away. After she received this new message from Jungkook, Lisa fell into contemplation.

A moment later, she typed in her response: [I bought it online from a random store. I can send you the link if you want.]

Lisa opened a shopping app, fumbled through the ‘Favorites’ folder, and found a store. She copied the link and sent it to Jungkook on WeChat.

Jungkook looked up the store the link to which Lisa had sent him.

The store had three crowns as its rating and sold a variety of goods. This was not a store specializing in incense products. But the sandalwood and agilawood incense were in boxes that did appear to be similar to the box which he gave to Grandma Yang. The price was cheap, around two hundred for a box.

Jungkook did not find the same kind of incense in the store. But, he was sure that the nerve-soothing incense sticks had most likely been bought from this store.

If those incense sticks were indeed that unique and special, why would they be sold in this online store at such a low price?

Jungkook closed the app. A disappointed smile played on his lips, and the glow in his eyes dimmed. There might be something else that he was feeling other than despair at this moment.

It had been half a month since Lisa enrolled in No.1 Middle School.

She behaved in a carefree manner and rarely communicated with her classmates. She never participated in any school events. To her teachers, her quietness was a representation of her cleverness and good behavior. However, her classmates interpreted this as proof that she was a piece of icy eye candy.

Her classmates did not know about her academic record. Moreover, her beauty was breathtaking. Therefore, she began to be widely acknowledged as the icy eye candy.

At the same time, because of doubts about her academic records, a rumor that, ‘the icy eye candy only got into the school because she bribed someone’ started flying around in the class.

Since Lisa was oblivious to the outside world, this rumor naturally escaped her attention.

On the contrary, her deskmate, Yuna, was enraged after she heard this gossip. In a fit of rage, she almost went to argue with others. At the same time, Lisa was busy reading books and studying both, during classes and breaks. Yuna had to finally admire Lisa’s composure.

Yuna rested her chin on her hands and gazed at Lisa with a serious face. Finally, she spoke up, “They are all wrong about you. You are not a piece of icy eye candy.”

Lisa closed the book which she was reading and cast her sight on Yuna. Lisa raised her eyebrows. “And?”

Yuna found Lisa’s casual bearing quite enticing. She gulped before she answered with indignation. “You are clearly a bookworm!”

Huo Yan played with the corner of her book and gave a meaningful answer. “The only way to improve one’s intelligence is by studying.”

Yuna heaved a sigh. “I have a feeling that you are implying I am stupid, but I have no proof for this.”

Lisa smiled but said nothing more. Her phone began to vibrate all of a sudden, and the screen lit up. Two new messages of money transfers popped out.

Lisa was starting to get a headache on a daily basis now.

This again. It had been almost half a month. Her parents would transfer her some money at exactly the same time, every single day. It was as if her parents had more money than they could spend.

Yuna just happened to see her phone through the corner of her eye. Staring at the two messages, Yuna could not help but say, “Today is another day that my eyes have been blinded!”

Lisa, “…”

That was right. It had been several days since Yuna discovered that her deskmate received a large amount of money every day. Ever since then, her initial shock had given way to numbness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me if there are any mistakes and if you enjoy this chapter do consider voting..