An Awkward Encounter

The moment Yeonjun brought up Taehyung’s foster sister, Taehyung scowled fiercely. With almost zero hesitation, he said, “Nope.”

Yeonjun was surprised. He noticed Taehyung’s face turning angry. “Erm… Aren’t you going to ask Eunha to appear on the show with you?”

“I’m not close to her,” said Taehyung indifferently.

Yeonjun touched his nose. Not close? They grew up together, for heaven’s sake. Who was Taehyung trying to kid?

Yeonjun contemplated all this in his head but did not continue talking about Eunha. Instead, he asked him with a perplexed expression. “Then who will you take along? Someone from the industry? Or some other artist in the agency?”

Taehyung suddenly gave Yeonjun a strange look. “Didn’t you say I have to take a family member?”

Was his biological sister not family?

“Yes I did.” Yeonjun nodded. Someone crossed his mind, and his eyes opened wide with amazement. “Don’t tell me you want to take Brother Namjoon for the show?!”

Taehyung: “…”

“Namjoon  is a famous lawyer in the industry. Although he isn’t as popular as a celebrity, he occasionally appears in magazines. I think Namjoon is a good choice.”

Yeonjun crossed his arms as he continued to run the analysis. Then his expression changed, and he looked at Taehyung quizzically. “Since Namjoon isn’t your biggest fan, he probably wouldn’t make an appearance on the variety show, right?”

Taehyung’s face became unsightly. “Who said anything about inviting Brother Namjoon?”

“Huh… Were you talking about your oldest brother then?” Yeonjun blinked and found it inconceivable.

“My baby sister.”

Taehyung paused and clarified. “My biological sister.”

Yeonjun finally realized which sibling Taehyung was referring to. He slapped his forehead and said, “Oh yes. How could I forget about our little sister? If she joins the show… tsk tsk… she will undoubtedly become one of the star attractions.”

After all, Taehyung and Lisa’s striking good looks alone were unsurpassable.

The more Yeonjun mulled over it, the more exhilarated he became.

Taehyung glanced at him. “Don’t be happy too soon. My little sister is in her senior year, so she might not have the time.”

“Don’t worry. The show is still in its planning stages. Since it will be a live telecast, it will probably get filmed on weekends and won’t affect your sister’s studies.”

“She might not be open to it.”

“That’s easy. Give me her number. I will take care of it,” said Yeonjun and took out his phone.

Taehyung looked at Yeonjun’s actions but did not pass on his little sister’s number to his agent. Instead, he pursed his lips and said after some time, “Forget it. I will ask her myself.”

Yeonjun put away his phone without giving it much thought. “Sure, then it’s settled. If you can’t convince her…”

Before Yeonjun could finish his sentence, Taehyung raised his hand and interrupted him. “I am her older brother. Of course, I can handle it.”

Yeonjun did not go on when he noticed the confident look on Taehyung’s face. Before long, he took the contract and left the Huo residence.

Taehyung sat on the couch and took out his phone. He sent a text message to his little sister.

[Lili, can you do me a favor?]

Although Lisa was still in class when she received the text, she replied immediately: [What favor?]

Taehyung sat up straight. He quickly composed his reply, tapping his fingers on the screen. However, upon reading it, he felt that it was inappropriate and deleted it. Then he repeated the process several times without sending even a single reply to Lisa.

Lisa looked at the top of the screen and saw that Taehyung was still typing the message. After it continued for a few minutes, she sent him a question mark.

Lisa placed her hand against her chin. After she waited for a long time, he finally replied.

Taehyung: [Never mind, it’s okay.]

How could he have come up with this after typing for so long?

So Lisa sent him another question mark.

Taehyung: [Class must be starting. I won’t hold you up then.]

Lisa put down her phone. Her fourth older brother certainly was behaving strangely today.

*

Lisa’s phone rang after school before she made it to the school entrance. It was her fourth older brother calling.

She picked up quickly and said, “… I’ll be out in two minutes.”

“Is someone from your family picking you up?” asked Yuna casually.

Lisa placed her phone back inside her pocket. “Yup, it was my older brother.”

Yuna glanced at Lisa’s breathtaking profile. She could not help touching her chin as she said, “Your brother must be very handsome!”

Lisa raised her brow and looked at her from the side. “That goes without saying.”

Yuna blinked. She suddenly felt offended.

Was Lisa pushing Yuna around because she did not have a big brother?

She trotted behind her and wanted to see what her sibling looked like.

Before long, they walked out of the school gates.

Yuna scoured the place. Her eyes landed on a man covered from head to toe standing by the roadside. Instinctively, she said, “Tsk tsk. These days, there are all kinds of strange dudes with peculiar styling sense.”

Lisa glanced in that direction and her lips curved upwards.

“Sister Big Shot, where is your older brother?” asked Yuna.

Lisa indicated towards the strange guy whom Yuna was just talking about.

Yuna’s mouth dropped open instantly. After a long time, she finally stammered. “No way… Don’t tell me that’s your older brother?”

How could someone as exquisite as Lisa have such an odd brother?

There was nothing in common between them.

Lisa coughed. Even if Taehyung was not famous, she could not make fun of him for acting like he was a top celebrity. She walked towards Taehyung and turned to look at Yuna.

She said airily, “Yup, that’s my older brother.”

Yuna: “…”

This was awkward.

Nonetheless, Yuna followed behind her curiously.

“Brother Taehyung,” called out Lisa softly after coming closer.

Taehyung automatically looked away from his phone when he heard his little sister’s voice. “That was fast.”

He was wearing a mask and sunglasses.

“Mhm.” Lisa nodded.

Taehyung paused when he noticed Yuna standing beside Lisa and asked politely. “Is this your classmate?”

“Yup, Yuna sits right next to me,” introduced Lisa briefly.

Since Lisa brought her classmate along, they must be quite close. Hence, Taehyung removed his sunglasses to reveal his sparkling, upturned eyes and nodded slightly to Yuna. “How do you do?”

Taehyung looked very cool at this moment. He gave off a striking aura even when only his eyes and forehead were exposed.

Yuna was astounded. After she gathered her thoughts, she shyly nodded and said softly, “H-hi!”

Heavens, he was clearly gorgeous and far from strange.

No wonder he covered himself from top to toe.

But why did Lisa’s older brother seem so familiar? She seemed to have encountered him before.

Yuna scratched her head but couldn’t seem to recall him.

Lisa turned to look at Yuna and asked her. “Are you going to the hospital? Do you need a lift?”

Yuna composed herself and quickly waved her hand. “It’s fine. I don’t want to trouble you.”

Lisa did not insist any further and got in the car.

Yuna stood distracted, watching the car drive off. She was still wondering about where she had seen Lisa’s older brother before.

**

Lisa sat in the front passenger seat in the car. She looked sideways at Taehyung as he drove. “Brother Taehyung, what did you want to write to me earlier in the day?”

Taehyung tightened his grip on the steering wheel subconsciously. Then he acted as though it was nothing important and shook his head. “It’s no big deal.”

What was going on? Each time he was with his little sister, he could not help feeling nervous. Why?

Lisa raised her brow and exposed him ruthlessly. “You look nervous. It doesn’t look that simple to me.”

Taehyung sat up straight. “Me… nervous? No way.”

Lisa smiled without saying a word.

Taehyung cleared his throat, but his phone rang just as he was about to tell her about the variety show. He glanced at the caller ID and put on his bluetooth earphones.

“Hi, Brother Jin… Are you at my place? Okay. I’m heading over there now.”

Lisa turned to look out the window while he was on the call. Her eyes were drifting hazily into the distance.

Before long, Taehyung hung up. He turned to glance at Lisa and said, “Brother Jin wants to see me. He’s at my place now. Let’s go over together since you haven’t been there before.”

Taehyung was unaware of the conflict between Jin and Lisa.

Lisa tapped her fingers unhurriedly on her thighs with an indifferent expression. However, she did not say no and nodded gently.

**

There was a slight traffic congestion on their way there, so it took Taehyung almost 50 minutes to reach his residence.

Jin did not have keys to Taehyung’s place, so he was waiting outside the villa. His hands paused at the car door when he saw Taehyung’s car driving in with Lisa sitting in the front seat.

Ever since Jin had accused his little sister of hiding Old Madam Yang, he had not gone back to the Huo residence. It meant that he had not sought her forgiveness all this time.

But he could not bring himself to apologize to her and did not know how to deal with it.

Complicated emotions surfaced in Jin’s heart when he saw his little sister with Taehyung. Nonetheless, he got out of the car after calming himself down.

Taehyung got off the car and swiped his keycard. The villa doors opened automatically, and he drove the car into the parking lot.

After Lisa got off the car, she stood in the courtyard gazing at the contemporary two-storey villa. She raised her brow in surprise. Was her fourth older brother really an unknown singer?

It certainly did not appear that way.

Jin walked over. There was barely any change in Lisa’s expression when she sensed someone standing behind her. She turned to look at Jin and said distantly, “Brother Jin.”

Jin stood motionlessly when he heard her apathetic voice. After some time, he finally acknowledged her.

He felt so uncomfortable that he only glanced at Lisa briefly before looking elsewhere.

A slight sense of awkwardness floated in the air.

Taehyung walked over after parking the car. Despite detecting the strange atmosphere, he did not give it much thought.

He pursed his lips and nodded to Jin. “There was a slight jam on the way here. You must have waited for a long time, Brother Jin.”

Jin shook his head and replied. “It’s fine.”

“Let’s go in and talk,” said Taehyung as he walked up to the door and placed his finger on the lock. The door opened with a click.

Lisa followed behind him and entered the villa. Jin paused before walking in as well.

Taehyung went to the refrigerator and took out two bottles of water. He saw his siblings sitting across each other when he came back to the living area.

One of them was staring at the coffee table distractedly while the other had crossed her legs nonchalantly and was playing with her phone with her head lowered.

There was something wrong with them. Despite being biological siblings, they seemed more like strangers.

Taehyung frowned quizzically. He placed the water on the coffee table in front of them before sitting down. Then he cleared his throat and broke the silence in the room. “Brother Jin, didn’t you say you wanted to talk to me about something?”

Jin raised his head. He glanced at Lisa before his eyes landed on Taehyung.

After a beat, he said, “It’s really no big deal. Someone wanted to know if you recently took on a variety show.”

Taehyung frowned when he heard this. Yeonjun had just brought the contract to him earlier this afternoon. How did his oldest brother know about it already?

Also, the person who sent Jin to ask him…

“Did Eunha send you?” She was the first person that crossed Taehyung’s mind.

Although he had no idea how Eunha came to know that he was invited to appear on the variety show, it was no surprise since Jin doted on her the most.

Lisa continued to play with her phone expressionlessly, even when Eunha’s name popped up.

Jin nodded. “Yup.”

“Did she get you to ask me to take her along for the variety show?” Taehyung pursed his lips while his face turned more and more ugly.

Taehyung continued speaking without giving Jin a chance to reply. “Brother Jin, please tell her that there’s no way I will take her along. I’m supposed to make an appearance on the show with a family member, and she is no sister of mine.”

Taehyung sounded determined with no room for negotiation whatsoever.

Lisa’s amorous eyes narrowed thoughtfully when she heard this.

A variety show?

Making an appearance with a family member?

Jin looked at his fourth little brother and found his behaviour to be slightly over the top.

Jin wanted to tell him that he did not need to react like this even if he did not like the suggestion. But he only said, “Okay.”

Taehyung was slightly surprised that Jin did not persist with the subject. In the past, he would probably have gone on to fight for much longer on Eunha’s behalf.

Taehyung restrained himself and did not continue talking about the show either. Instead, he changed the subject and asked him. “Brother Jin, have you been busy lately?”

“Things are alright for me.”

“WeIl, I have moved back home for the time being. Next time if you need me, just come there straight away. That way, you won’t have to wait for so long like you did today,” said Taehyung eventually.

Jin clenched his hands without showing his true feelings and nodded.

Taehyung looked at his little sister. She had said nothing all this while. Something definitely seemed off between her and Jin. Hence, he forcibly made small talk to help ease the atmosphere. “Lili, when are the nationals taking place?”

Lisa was playing an online game when she was suddenly cued to speak up. Her hand paused before she replied without looking at him. “Over the weekend.”

The nationals?

Jin was taken aback. He instinctively raised his head and looked at Lisa. Did his baby sister make it into the National Quiz Contest finals?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me if there are any mistakes and if you enjoy this chapter do consider voting..