Ch. 12

-start-

Akira stands at the starting line with his skateboard, running a hand through his hair.

Taking a deep breath, you walk towards him, only to be stopped by Kaoru grabbing your wrist.

You turn, looking at him.

Kaoru sighs, letting go of your hand.

"Listen..."

He shifts, glancing at Kojiro.

"Be careful. I have faith in you, but still...be careful. A lot is on the line."

You grimace, avoiding eye contact. "I'm aware. I'll win."

Smirking, you blow Kaoru a kiss, putting your board behind your arm and walking over to where Akira stood.

Akira rolled his eyes, scoffing. "Well, look at you. This is who I'm supposed to be racing against...?"

You glare at him, annoyed "Yes, asshole"

He sniffs, staring down his nose at you. "My, how vulgar."

"Shut your mouth. You're annoying me." You mutter, looking Akira up and down.

This guy is really irritating...

A tired looking man sighs, blowing a whistle and saying, "The race will be starting in 5 minutes-racers, prepare yourselves."

You glance at him, stretching your arms. He looked quite tired, with purplish black hair, and a mole under his right eye. He saw you staring, and glanced at you, curious. You glance away, nervously tucking a strand of hair behind your ear.

"2 minutes!!!" Someone standing behind you shouts, and you look behind your back, watching as everyone forms a circle around you and Akira. You scan the crowd, looking for Kaoru.

Spotting him, you smile softly. He looked to be angrily shouting at Kojiro, talking animatedly with his hands. Kojiro laughs, responding sharply.

Kaoru catches your eye, karate chopping Kojiro in the side to shut him up. Kojiro doubles over, furiously yelling at Kaoru. He just points at you, a small smile gracing his lips. You wave at the both of them, and they wave back, grinning.

You turn back towards the starting line, watching the referee from earlier check his watch.

"Waving to your boyfriends? I'm sorry they have to watch me crush you."

You scowl at Akira, frustrated. "I'm not dating anyone at the moment, not that I should have to clarify that. Can you just mind your own business, and stop shit talking? I'd rather you not bite your tongue by accident."

Akira laughs, stepping onto his skateboard. "If you say so, darling."

You cringe, following his lead and stepping on your board, right foot forward.

Glancing up at the starting traffic lights, you sigh, apprehensive, watching as they suddenly turn red.

Yellow.

The crowd cheers, shouting praise at both you and Akira.

Green.

Akira shoots past you, and you follow, a second late.

Is he... slowing down?

You pull up next to him, deaf to the noises of the crowd.

"Got a late start, huh?"

"Shut it." You hiss, pulling in front of him.

"My, you're always so rude. I might actually start to enjoy it."

"You're disgusting..."

CRACK

"Shit!" You yelp, almost falling off your skateboard. Looking behind you, you see Akira, smirking.

"Watch out for rocks. They might cost you this race."

You shake your head, annoyed.

Pay attention, [y/n]...

You tilt your body forward, hoping to gain speed. You can see Akira out of the corner of your eye, balancing low on his skateboard.

You head into the underground passage, blinking at the sudden light. Akira shoves past you, sliding on the railing of the stairs.

"Fuck!" You hiss, leaning even farther forward.

You catch up with Akira, doing an ollie down the stairs.

He was so close...

The last set of stairs was in sight. You could still win...

Ignoring Akira shooting closer to the finish line, you push forward, popping another ollie down this last round of stairs.

You land with your foot too far back, and the tail end of our board lets out an ominous crack. You ignore it, gliding to the finish line.

The cheers of the crowd were louder than anything you'd ever heard before. You glance around, trying to see if anyone was talking about who had won.

Reki and Langa run towards you, faces full of worry.

Reki slaps you on the back, smiling softly. "Nice job keeping your cool even when your board broke! I'll be sure to make you another one by tomorrow, don't worry."

Picking up your broken skateboard, you look behind him, seeing Kaoru and Kojiro approaching.

Why did they look so scared?

Kaoru walks up to you, looking you up and down. "Are you hurt?"

You shake your head furiously, saying, "What's wrong? Di-did I lose?"

Kojiro sighs. "Next time, you'll win for sure."

You take a deep breath, hands shaking.

"You did wonderfully. Really."

"Kaoru, stop. That sounds so insincere."

He blinks, looking away. "I'm sorry. I meant it. I'm sorry you don't think so."

You run a hand through your hair, frustrated. You could feel Reki, Langa, and Kojiro staring at you, and it was making you uncomfortable.

"Kaoru, I'm sorry. It was rude of me to be so snippy for no reason-"

"No, you have a reason, you lost and now you have to go against Ainosu-Adam, and I'm the one that told you you'd win. You have a right to be mad."

You smile, subtly grabbing his hand. "I'm not mad at you. Let's just....forget about this argument.."

Akira struts up to you, and Kaoru steps next to you, crossing his arms. You slip your hand out of his, sarcastically clapping.

"Wowww, congrats on your win. Are you here to patronize me?"

Akira smirks, saying, "Geez, I'm only here to congratulate you on being able to race Adam."

You pale, nervous.

You'd completely forgot about that...

"Why, thank you. Now, fuck off. I'm sick of your face already."

Akira puts his hands up, walking away. "Alright then. I hope to see you later cutie~"

Kaoru starts toward him, tic visible in his forehead. Kojiro kicks him in the shin, and he stops, watching Akira walk away with clear frustration in his eyes.

"It's fine. I'll win against Adam."

Kaoru sighs, grabbing your hand and squeezing it.

"Let's all just go to Kojiro's restaurant. We can talk about this later."

-finish-

HOLY FUCKING SHIT TYSM FOR 3k!!!!!!!

Sorry it's out so late!

Thanks for reading!