Ch. 13

-start-

Silence.

No one spoke.

You could feel Kojiro staring at you, but you said nothing.

"[y/n]-" Langa started, and you whipped around at the sudden noise.

"Maybe racing against Adam won't be so bad. He's one of the founders of S, maybe it'll be a nice challenge."

You glance at Kojiro and Kaoru, shaking your head. "Langa, I don't think he's very nice." You mumble, watching as Kojiro said something heated in Italian. Kaoru laughed bitterly. "Adam is fucking insane, Joe. I think you've forgotten. There is no way he'll go easy on her."

Reki stands suddenly, and everyone turns to look at him. He shifts awkwardly, before grabbing Langa's arm and pulling him towards the door. "We should go. My mom might worry. I'll have your board ready for you tomorrow, [y/n]."

You nod, watching the door swing closed behind the pair of them.

You check your watch, sighing.

2:27 AM.

"Jesus Christ... it's late as hell." You complain, running a hand through your hair.

Miya hopped off the table in the corner, stretching. "I should go too."

Shadow follows Miya to the door, poking him in the back and saying, "I'll drive you. Busses don't run this late, and a kid that's as scrawny as you shouldn't be out alone this late."

You could hear them bickering on the way out, and you laugh, suddenly reminded of how Kojiro and Kaoru never get sick of arguing.

"I can't just sit here forever. I have to practice." You say, hopping off of the bar stool you were sitting at.

The world spins around you, and you collapse, legs heavier than they should be. Kaoru stands up, grabbing your arm before you hit the ground.

"Shit!" You hiss, trying to stand up. Your legs buckle even further, and Kaoru puts an arm around your waist, holding you up.

"Adrenaline. From your race at S. It's all gone now, and your body is starting to feel the bruises and fatigue left behind."

You sigh, pulling yourself back onto the bar stool. "There's no way I'm going to win against Adam."

"Don't say tha-"

"Kojiro." You cut, looking him full in the face. "Let me finish."

"There's absolutely no way I can win against Adam at my current skill level. I just learned how to ollie a few weeks ago. It's just not possible. But I think I can do it if I practice a little more."

Kojiro crosses his arms, smiling. "You're quite the optimist."

"I am?" You say, hopping off your chair and bracing yourself on the corner of the table. "I should head home. It's late." You finish, cracking your knuckles tiredly.

Kaoru taps you on the shoulder, and you turn to him, surprised to see that he was slightly red in the face. You tilt your head to the side in confusion, ignoring Kojiro snickering behind you.

"My house is closer, if you'd rather just sleep there. I live over Sakurayashiki Calligraphy, so you could just run down to work as soon as you get up. If you don't want to, that's alri-"

"Sure. I'm sleepy as hell, I'd only get about 3 hours of sleep if I went back to my house, so going to your's is great." You smile, rubbing your eyes.

Kaoru nodded, standing up. "We should go. Kojiro, see you tomorrow."

Kojiro nodded farewell, yawning. "Want me to drive you? I gotta get home too."

"Yes, please."

Kojiro nodded again, walking in the kitchen and shutting the lights off. Kaoru walked out the door and you followed, shivering slightly.

You stood to the left of the door, pulling your phone out of your back pocket and checking it.

No messages.

Shoving your phone back in your pocket, you rub your arms, watching Kojiro exit Sia La Luce, locking the door behind himself.

He smiles at you and Kaoru, saying, "My car's this way. Behind the building."

The walk there was silent, and so was the drive to Kaoru's house. Your hands sweat nervously, and you kept your hands in your pockets, fiddling with the loose strings inside your pocket.

Why did you agree to sleep at his fucking house?

This was going to be so awkward...

-finish-

What have I done

Thanks for reading!