𝟐𝟔

It's almost seven when I get back to the cabin

It's almost seven when I get back to the cabin. Before I open the door, I tell Summer to take her ass to her room because I have something she can't see. She tells me she'll kill me in my sleep if it's a live animal. I don't know. Something about barely keeping her kid brother alive.

I take the bags to my room and hide them because anyone can be snoopy under the right circumstances.

There is a bag I take with me to the living room, though. A bag of pure junk food.

When the couch creaks in protest to me sitting my ass on its scratchy fabric, I hear Summer's bare feet making a little noise as she comes to sit with me.

I raise a brow. "What if I was wrapping something?"

She shrugs, picks up the bag of snacks to sit before placing it in her lap, and starts digging through it.

I bring an arm behind the couch and she scoots closer to me, pulling her legs up. When she lays her head on my shoulder and hugs my side, I know something's up.

With a frown, I hold her head to me. I hate when she's upset. It breaks my heart to see her like this. A part of me wants to ask what's wrong, but so much is wrong, isn't it? How can I possibly make her feel better? I bet she feels like her whole life fell apart when she left Mason.

Sometimes it's better not to say a thing. But when I was alone all the time, I would pretend I hated people trying to get in my head and figure out why I was depressed. And she was alone for a long time. She needs someone to ask her those questions and to hold her. Luckily, I'm a fine multitasker.

"Are you all right?"

She doesn't say anything, so I don't push. All I do I squeeze her to me and turn on the TV like I planned to do since the moment I got here.

We pig out on various chips and candies. And at some point, I go make us sandwiches so that we have something decent in our stomachs

 And at some point, I go make us sandwiches so that we have something decent in our stomachs

We finish two movies and a few episodes of Winx Club before she's smiling again.

There's a mess of food everywhere, but I abandon her and the trash to grab the stuff I got for her.