𝟏

"I know, I know

"I know, I know. I just want to make sure that you have all the essentials, love."

I almost roll my eyes when I see that we've been on the phone for almost an entire hour-so basically since I left the house. Maybe he forgot that he'd seen me off. Or he's just taking me leaving for the summer too seriously. Dad's protectiveness and wariness for her children is both a gift and a curse. Mostly a curse... but it definitely has the potential to be considered a gift... Maybe.

"I know, Pa. I have everything I need. Thank you, though."

"Okay, I just- it's the first time you're going away and I'm not going with you. I don't want you to be all alone, mamas."

"I won't be alone though, I'll have a cabin-mate. I'm sure she'll be one of many who are excellent company." I assure him, taking a right into a gas station. "I have to get gas now, okay? I'll call you when I get there. I love you, Pa."

"Love you more, baby girl."

With that, I press the button on my steering wheel to hang up. With a small sigh, I exit my car to fill up my tank. Usually, I would test my luck, but knowing me I'll end up stuck on the side of the road in a dead cell zone.

After gassing up, I lock my car and walk across the street to the 7-11. The bell rings as I walk in and I smile at the boy working the cash register. He welcomes me as I make my way toward the refrigerators to get drinks. I grab a water bottle and an energy drink. The boy rings me up soon after I get up to the counter, wishing me farewell before I leave back to my car.

 The boy rings me up soon after I get up to the counter, wishing me farewell before I leave back to my car

I get to Camp Tamsyn nearly an hour after I leave the gas station. It's definitely safe to say that I arrived with more energy than I originally thought I would. Both my drinks are completely empty now and my phone is dead thanks to the phone call from dad and my loathing for local radio stations.

Dead phone and lack of snacks only means Summer (me) was this close to losing her crap.

My thumb jabs the little button under my AC and radio controls that pops my trunk. I pull the key out of the ignition, grab my purse, phone, and trash. Pretty soon after I collect my bags and lock my car, I walk up the cobbled path that leads to the little shack I need to get to in order to sign in, get my parking pass, and the key to my cabin.