Undercover - (Angst - Grian)

TW: blood, death

AN: I really enjoyed writing this! I my have taken it in a direction that you weren't expecting but thanks for the idea EndlessParadox_

Grian POV-

"Congratulations Xelqua and Moon. Without you, we wouldn't have been able to take out the Watchers."

I nod my head, a weight still heavy on my chest from the past 8 years as an undercover detective/spy/assassin, whatever you wanted to call it. Ever since I had joined the agency at 18, I had been sent to take down a serial killer teenager at a nearby high school and then sent to infiltrate the Watcher's server. Out of the dozens of spies sent out, of course Moon and I would be the unlucky ones to find themselves in the correct server, living out our worst nightmares and coming back from a corrupted beta server into a world that had evolved.

Apparently our 1 year in Evo was nearly 3 in real life.

Moon and I had been working together for about 4 years, even since she joined the agency. She was the same age as me, having gone to school for forensics before applying. And just like every person before her, she didn't know what she was truly getting into.

None of us did.

But luckily, she was often reserved for the more finite jobs due to her degree, and I had improved my skills enough to have the same done for me. As the best detective and assassin, we were definitely a powerful duo.

After everything that had happened, she was the only person I trusted totally.

But of course, that was torn away from me as the man in front me, my boss, continued speaking, "I have new assignments for you. Moon. We have a tip that Smajor, also known as Scott, from the Empire SMP may be conspiring with the DSMP to take down Technoblade. You need to get in there and prevent this communication between them."

"Yes sir, Xelqua and I will be on the case."

"No," I glance up shocked at the purple clad man standing at his desk, arms folded. He was watching Moon and I as we lounged in the chairs across from him, "he's coming with me."

He waved Moon off, quickly informing her that Wilbur, the current spy on the DSMP would be filling her in on the information he had gathered. Turning back to me, his gaze softened. "Grian." I flinch at the use of my real name. "You need a break. It's time to retire."

I immediately stiffen and sit up, looking at my boss through his visor, "no sir. I have a world to protect."

"You can't do that when you're broken." My boss says as he shakes his head. "And I can see it in your eyes. YHS and Evo broke you."

"Sir..." my voice came out weak as I try to shove the thoughts down. I was trained to withstand torture and mind games. I was trained to kill and to be killed if necessary. My life would be nothing without my job.

"Do not sir me. This is undebatable. I need you to be in tip top shape if worse comes to worse. You are not only my best spy, but my best assassin. The only one I think could take Dream down."

I just nod my head in defeat, letting my mind wander for the first time in years. What was I supposed to do on this supposed break?

My boss walked around his chair, crouching in front of me and hold out his hand, "Time to meet my family Grian. You're joining Hermitcraft."

I nod my head, "yes sir."

And within days I was standing on an island waiting for others to join. My boss, who I'm now supposed to call Xisuma, had shown me the list of members, my eyes falling on one particular redstoner. When I voiced my concern that I already knew Mumbo, Xisuma had just nodded his head and said, "I know. I thought he could help you."