Chapter 38 || It's So Cool, Right?

Hey now hey nowwww this is what dreamssss are made of. Hello, welcome back :)

Jayce POV

I'm sitting at the table, working on stitching together the materials that I found, every now and then glancing up at Yelena who keeps touching her wound while Natasha gets us beers.

"Stop poking at it, it'll get infected. Pour some vodka on it to clean it out," I sigh and she frowns, grabbing the little nip of vodka I snatched at the mart in the gas station and opens it, pouring it on her wound but wincing and breathing out painfully while I just snicker to myself.

Makes up for what she said to Natasha.

Nat places beers in front of us and takes a spot next to me, glancing over at the suit I'm concocting. She leans over to kiss my cheek and rub the back of my neck before Yelena speaks.

"That gas, the counteragent, it was synthesized in secret by an older widow from Melina's generation. I was on the mission to retrieve it, and she exposed me and I killed the widow that freed me."

Knowing that this is a conversation between the two sisters, I keep to myself and focus on my own task, making this suit. I was hoping Natasha and I wouldn't need any suits but given the circumstances, if I didn't have the crappy mask I made in London, I would've been screwed.

So now I got to make an entire suit, one that I can move in, not just the jeans and leather jacket I have been wearing.

"Did you have a choice?"

"What you experienced was psychological conditioning. I'm talking about chemically altering brain functions. They're two completely different things. You're fully conscious, but you don't know which part is you. I'm still not sure..." My heart clenches a bit at Yelena's last sentence and I glance up for a moment to see the confusion setting in her eyes.

She's scared, traumatized. What she experienced differs from that of Natasha's torture in the Red Room. Both were stripped of their humanity but Yelena's brain was completely altered against her own will. She had no choice but to submit to the directions given to her.

Natasha's was different. They instilled fear into her, abused her, conditioned her into submitting. Her brain was trained into being wired different but Yelena's brain was unplugged from her own self and the wires were plugged back in elsewhere.

It's both fascinating and utterly terrifying that someone has that sort of power.

Natasha moves to help Yelena with her wound and I glance at the red vials in the pocket of a bag, nodding at it, "Is that all there is left?"

"Mhm. It's the only thing that can stop Dreykov and his network of widows," She groans the last part out and I look over, seeing Natasha pressuring the wound and blowing on it. Smiling lightly, I watch as Yelena looks at the redhead and a appreciative grin forms on her face.

 Smiling lightly, I watch as Yelena looks at the redhead and a appreciative grin forms on her face