Chapter 60 || Leave

BACK TO BACK BABY I AM BACK AGAIN

You know what to do ;)

Natasha POV

"Um...you can come in, if you want," I side step a bit to give her room to enter, which she takes after what feels like years of pondering and anticipation. I shut the door behind us and hug my cardigan around my belly, feeling overwhelmingly anxious.

I haven't felt this nervous since well...honestly possibly since ever. My whole life has changed, everything has changed about not only me but the whole universe. But I haven't seen Jayce in 5 months.

Now she's standing in the living room of the Avengers' Compound, right in front of me.

She takes in a deep breath as she observes her surroundings, probably trying to gauge what has changed, what's the same. The hairs on her arms are very noticeably standing up tall, her senses probably going haywire as all the memories flood in.

My ex-girlfriend...wow, that sucks to think of, stares at specific areas of the room, like each spot she looks is stained with yet another memory, another person lost.

This place must feel haunted to her, I suppose that is something I haven't truly thought of. Yes, losing Yelena is horrible and even now I am looking for ways to change it back. Losing Wanda is painful, but Jayce was her best friend. They were each other's found family. And Peter. Two people who walked around this compound, who used to hangout here, have movie nights here, play games, they're gone. And now Jayce is forced to talk about them in the past tense, and is haunted by the ghosts of their past memories.

When Gwen died, I knew Jayce took it hard of course. But she also got to go off to college and escape the city that she and her girlfriend spent most of their time in. She got away.

Then when her parents died, Jayce was taken by HYDRA, forced to not be in the city, but still didn't have to walk the same steps she once did with her parents.

I guess it makes a bit more sense as to why she left. Even though it still hurts, even though she should've handled it better, should've talked to me and told me, or even asked me to go with her.

She didn't ask me.

She could've but she didn't.

"Is anyone else home?" Her voice pulls me out of the looming thoughts in my head.

I look up and shake my head, "No. Steve's out. Tony's with Pepper at their house. They bought a lake house, actually."

Jayce slowly nods as she fixes the backpack straps on her shoulders and stuffs her hands in her pockets. There's an awkward moment. The moment where we both don't know who should speak first, nor what to even say.

"Sorry for just showing up but uh...you sounded like something was wrong in that voicemail. So I just...came, I guess. Thought you were in danger or you know...I don't know."

She chuckles, but in the way I know she does when she's uncomfortable and buzzing with nerves. I can see how anxious she is, it's very clear. Especially once she reaches her hand behind her neck and starts playing with the shorter hairs while rocking on the heels of her shoes.

That makes two of us.

I keep a decent distance between us so that she doesn't notice the bump. It's a bump, but it's not huge. And my sweater is a bit looser, along with the cardigan, so it's a fair cover up. Especially when I can't figure out how to tell her. Or when.

Is she even staying? Would it even be worth it?

I have to tell her somehow. She knows I was scared on that phone, she knows I said I needed her. But I can't say it. I don't know how.