five; for the greater good, right?

[disclaimer; this is purely a work of fiction therefore, do not attempt any stunts in this story and do not take any violence, aggression and etcetera in this story as examples to follow. if
you are uneasy and unnerved by dark themes,
do exit the story for your own and others'
comfortability. thank you]

"Yejun's ribs are severely crushed, Jeno. They were close to piercing his heart," Jaemin reports to Jeno who's brought Jia to her apartment. "Thankfully, he'll survive. That way you won't look like a murderer in front of Jia."

The group is once again, gathered at her place. It's like their official headquarter.

After Jia passed out due to the shock and the lack of zest since she's just healed from her fever, Jeno called his friends who then, suggested that Yejun should be left at the hands of a doctor friend of theirs.

They trust him not to let Yejun publicize the 'incident.' And it is also to their luck that Yejun has no close family relations that would search for him.

He has no parents and his grandparents live at a retirement house thus, he's alone.

"That was very reckless of you, Jeno. How will you explain this to Jia?" Renjun criticizes.

The three are having their own discussion in the small soundproof study in Jia's place.

"I'll...just be honest. She'll understand me," Jeno says, hopeful, and leans against the desk with muscular arms crossed.
"After all, she can't lose me. She can't lose us. We're the only friends she's got."

"Just remember that Jia's got a mind of her own," Renjun reminds before exiting the room with Jaemin.

"She's in a deep sleep. She should be fine after waking up," Nari, who is resting in the living room with Aria, tells Jaemin who greets her with a backhug.
"What did Jeno say happened again?"

Jaemin's eyes are closed tight as he embraces her, head on hers and he sways gently side to side.
"She passed out while they were doing extra revision. He said she might've overworked herself."

"That overachiever. I told her to rest more," Aria comments frustratedly due to her concern for their friend.

Renjun sits on the couch behind, massaging her tense shoulders. "You should take that advice too. Look how stiff you are."

"I know, I know. That's why you have to take care of me," Aria grumbles and her admirer chuckles- sliding his hands up her neck to press his thumbs on her nape in a circular motion.

She sighs at the rejuvenating feeling and he grins.

"Always."

While the two pairs are being lovey-dovey with each other, Jeno's made his way to Jia's room, briefly taken aback to see her sitting up on her bed, a blank look on her face.

But as soon as she notices him, her eyes regain life and she rushes to him.

"Jia, you're not supposed to stand up so suddenly," Jeno worries and is silenced by her slamming against him in a rough embrace.

He stares down at her crown, confused. "Jia?"

"Yejun... Is he alive?" She whispers, barely audible.

Jeno gulps, nervous of her reaction despite his previous bold claims to his friends. He runs his fingers down her hair. "Yes."

She briefly remains silent before she pulls her head away from his chest to look up at him.

Glossy, doe eyes bore into his sharp, piercing ones intensely. "You...you were just protecting me, weren't you? He was harassing me and you were just defending me, right? Right, Jeno?"

He stares into her teary, frantic eyes. The way she asked him, it wasn't to answer her curiosity- but it was to convince herself.

To make her believe that Jeno did in fact, not almost get his hands dirty but was just acting as her shield, for the greater good.

He smiles, wearing a false expression of guilt but at the same time, comfort. "Of course, Jia. I did it to protect you. I could never let anything hurt you, Jia."

"...Thank you," she mutters and brings herself close for another hug- her delicate, petite frame trembling against his broad, masculine form and fingers clutching onto the back of his shirt.

Jeno sighs, relieved and satisfied at the outcome as he soothingly rubs her back.

Jia's vulnerable- a sweet, gentle little angel. That's why he needs to protect her, shield her from this tainted world and its cruel residents that have made it that way.

She needs him- and he needs her.