thirty five; lifeline

"Several body parts have been found scattered throughout the district and the forensics team has discovered that these belonged to the three high school students who were reportedly missing since three days ago.
  "Due to the recent stormy weather, the culprit of this gruesome crime has yet to be discovered as any possible leads may have been washed off by the rain. However, the police are still at work with full force and will hopefully conduct an efficient and fruitful investigation," the anchor delivers the news smoothly and students sitting with view of the television all murmur and gasp worriedly.

  It's no wonder they're anxious. The murdered students were from the neighboring school. It won't be a surprise if the murderer chooses to target students of XX High School next.

  "Mental," Renjun says.

  Jaemin turns to him whose eyes are still fixed on the TV screen. "What?"

  "Mental, you are," the older then, elaborates and faces him. "Completely insane."

The other looks at his deadpanned face. "Maybe you should wear an expression before saying that. You hypocrite."

"Hey, what's going on?" Jia comes between them and they look up at her who sits in front of them.

The group is noticeably smaller today with them being the only ones present.

"Someone's a little upset about the violence," Nana tells and his bestfriend glares.

"You're practically announcing your existence to the whole world! That's a risky move."

"Only if you're not an expert enough. Relax, I planned. The rain settled everything for me," Jaemin scoffs smugly before resting his chin on his palms.

Jia shifts her gaze to Renjun. "Where's Aria?"

"I must've gave her too much. She's been having abrupt delirium recently and had to stay home," he casually tells while stabbing the kimchi on his tray.

"Don't play with your food," Jaemin scolds with eyes shut and the other scowls.

The girl sighs. "I told you to use it moderately. There are side effects when you play with the mind."

  "Right. Like what's happening with Jeno now? Fun fact, you didn't even give him any of the stuff. You're just so twisted it messed him up," Renjun sassily retorts.

  Jia remains composed. "Fun fact, we made up. I was the one who told him to stay at home and rest. You know how he can't go against me."

  "Rest? From what? He's made of steel," Jaemin skeptically calls out.

  "Against me, he isn't," the girl claims and stirs her soup.

  Renjun eyes her. "Why didn't you tell him anything, anyways? I thought he'd be the first to know in everything."

  Jia releases a breath through the nose. "That'd be too expected, wouldn't it?"

-

  Beep beep beep beep! The numbers on the door lock chimes when Jia presses her door pin and a chirpy tune follows after.

  "Jeno, I'm home!"

  She takes off her shoes and looks around the house. Her boyfriend's nowhere to be found.

  But then a savoury scent wafts through the air and awakes the appetite of her stomach.

  She leans against the doorframe with crosses arms as she watches Jeno earnestly cooking at the stove with an apron tight around his waist and black long sleeves folded up to his elbow. 

  "Smells good," Jia comments, turning his attention to her instantly and a happy grin stretches on his face.

  He drops the spatula into the pan and runs to quickly embrace her, lifting her up from the ground for a little twirl.

  It's a sweet sight, his torso itself is bigger than her and yet, he's the one acting so soft and small around her.

"Tell me the truth," Jeno pleaded shakily as he slouched slightly, connecting his forehead with hers and her pupils trembled.

  The memory from their argument replays in his head and her answer follows.

  "I was scared," Jia confessed with brimming eyes. "I was scared that if I told you, and you didn't agree, you didn't want to do it, then you'd...leave...me."

  Jeno's furrow deepened as he searched her flushed face. Cheeks wet, tears flowed and breaths shaky. Should he trust her? He has been with her for as long as he can remember and he knew how she is more than capable of pretense.

  But she was also kind, warm, accepting, gentle.

  "I'm sorry, Jeno," she apologized in a hushed, trembling tone and his whole chest seemed to rip apart.

  "Don't apologize, Jia. Don't be scared. I will never leave you. Never."

  "Jeno?" Jia calls upon noticing his inertia.

He pulls back and scatters soft pecks on her face. "You'll never leave me, right?"

"Of course, I won't," she chuckles lightly, looking up at him with a genuine spark in her eyes.

"Good," he says, grin widening as a sigh of relied escapes. "Because I would die without you."