fifteen; closer and closer

The school halls are bustling with life and Renjun groans at the noise, resisting the urge to roll his eyes.

  It's the day for their annual cleaning campaign thus, all classes are grouped and given an area to handle and he just has to be put at the halls.

  "Thank goodness, Aria isn't here to be victim to these insufferable rowdiness," Renjun hisses as he shines the library's doorknob when he then, gets the smart idea to sneak inside for an escape.

  He sighs contentedly as soon as he enters. It's fortunate that the library is not included for the cleaning campaign. The librarian was afraid the books would all get messed up.

  "I've done my part. I deserve a break," Renjun says and walks to a beanbag when he accidentally hits a clipboard on the counter with his arm.

  He looks. It's the library attendance sheet.

  Strangely curious, he picks it up, reads written notes and stops once it reaches the date when Jeno beat Yejun to a pulp.

  He furrows. "The librarian really was sick during that day. So the one left in charge was the securiㅡ No. Kim Jia?"

  "Renjun, what are you doing here?"

  The sudden sound of the said girl's voice makes him nearly lose his grip.

  "Jia," he greets with a proper smile. "I finished my work so I came here to rest."

  "Ah, okay. It really is noisy outside, isn't it?"

  "Very. What are you doing here?"

  She puts down the books she's carrying onto the counter, standing beside him but eyes lay on the clipboard before meeting his.
"I'm the librarian's assistant remember? I'm put in charge of handling this place since I know how to organize the books."

  "Right. I forgot, actually," Renjun laughs lightly and notices the stack of books.
"Want some help?"

  "Sure. I was planning on taking my own break but having two extra hands would finish the job quicker," she accepts and he carries all the novels while she leads the way to the right shelf- deep into the darker, quieter corner.

  They work together without lag- meticulous and peaceful but Renjun's mind is drumming with question after question.

  "No. But if you really didn't do anything, why was the library door locked?" Nari interrogated.

  Jeno frowned. "It was locked?"

  "Yes. That's why the security couldn't go in and check who were fighting. He had to leave to get the library key from the staffroom since the librarian was absent. Makes things even more suspicious, doesn't it?"

  Renjun can't help but think something's amiss with Nari's statement. The security had to leave to get the library key from the staffroom since the librarian was absent but Jia was in charge that day.

  Which meant that the keys were left with her and not the security.

  "Renjun!" She exclaims, pulling him out of his head and he turns with confusion. She titters at his expression.
"What were you thinking of? We're done here and it's lunchtime. The others will be waiting for too long."

  "Ah! Sorry!" He apologizes and observes her who stares at him with round, curious eyes and a permanent, warm upturn of her lips. Her expression... is always so sweet.
"Thanks for letting me stay."

  "Anytime," she responds and tells him to go ahead since she has other things to tend to for a bit.

  Renjun exits after giving a pat on her shoulder and shakes his head once he's out the door. "What am I even thinking about? So, what if she had the key? It's not like she can open the door from the inside. There isn't any keyhole. Stupid Renjun."

  He scolds himself and hastes away.

  Jia who was left alone stares at the door and the curve of her lips fall, eyes that sparkled turn dull and dark and she rests her hand on the spot he held before making a swift swipe.

  Clink!

  A small, almost indistinguishable hearing device plucks off her shirt and hits the leg of a nearby table.

   She wears a subtle frown and takes out her phone to make a call.

  Jia puts her foot over the teeny gadget placed on her by Renjun before crushing it under her sole- the dark body of it that blends with her navy school blazer creating a distinct cracking sound.

  The other line rings and stops when it's answered.

  "Hey." She rests her hip on the counter.
"Renjun's getting a little too close."