nine; it's all fine

Sounds of a pen scratching against paper fill Jia's silent bedroom. Due to her condition, she's been excused to stay at home for three days.

  It's now the last day of her break and she has work to catch up on sent by Jeno who has been consistent with his visits and punctual with taking care of her.

  "Don't push yourself, Jia. You're still healing," Jeno advices, arms wrapping loosely around her neck as he stands behind her chair.

  Jia keeps her eyes on her book. "I want to finish them as soon as I can."

  The other stares at her side profile, noticing how she's remaining indifferent but still, he smiles and runs his fingers down her long hair.
"Alright, then. I won't stop you. Come out for dinner soon, okay?"

  Click!

  His smile falls instantly and he pulls out his phone.

[Jaemin]:
She's still distant?

[Renjun]:
I won't question it. After what she had seen, it's only logical she acts that way

It's making me anxious
Is she going to be like this from now on?

[Jaemin]:
Calm down
She was the first one who hugged you and said that you did it to protect her

[Renjun]:
You were the one who told me to be careful and yet, you're the first to mess up

I know, I was wrong
But if you were in my spot, you would've done the same

[Renjun]:
...
You got me there

I'm just scared that she's never
gonna look at me the same
What if she's actually afraid of me now?
I don't want that

[Jaemin]:
Stop worrying about the 'what ifs'
Jia's got a sweet, forgiving character
She's probably just shaken up a little

[Renjun]:
Give her time
Don't be rash because look what happened
the last time you were

  He sighs. His friends are right. Jia's always accepted his everything. Jia's the only person in this world other than Jaemin and Renjun that understands him most.

  It's his fault for scaring her like that. How could he? It's a grave mistake he never should've made. Even if she goes back to the way she was, she won't ever forget about the incident.

  Jeno's scarred her and he can never forgive himself for that. So, how can he expect her to?

  "Maybe it's best she treats me this way," Jeno sighs and leans his head against the couch's back cushions, arm covering his shut eyes.
"This is my punishment."

  "Punishment? What are you talking about, Jeno?" Jia, who has just come out for dinner, catches his moment of self reflection.

  Jeno sits straight, shocked at her sudden presence and quickly wears a smile.
"Nothing. I'm just talking to myseㅡ"

  "Jeno, you might think I'm stupid and naive but don't think that I don't notice you're upset about something. Your smiles are off and you're hesitant to talk to me. What is going on?" She finally, voices out her thoughts.

  The lad's eyes widen and he seizes her by the shoulders- mien heavily painted with concern and franticness. "Jia, what are you saying?? I don't think you're stupid or naive! I've neverㅡ Do I make you feel that way? Have I done something to make you feel this?"

  She says nothing and her silence answers all. He quickly pulls her into his arms, caressing her head as it rests on his chest.

  "I'm sorry, Jia. I'm sorry for everything. From making you feel terrible and having you witness what happened at the library- I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry," Jeno recites as his hold on her tightens, desperate.

  It's clear to anyone that he's... scared.

  Jia slowly reciprocates the hug and sighs into his embrace. His scent drowns her, warmth and affection engulfs her- a feeling so secure and comfortable that she doesn't want it to end.

  "It's okay, Jeno. Everything's fine," she assures and gently pats his back, her lips slowly forming into a smile.
"It's all fine."