thirty three; an odd pair

Winds blowing, leaves crunching and sky darkening.

The elements that inform Nari of the gradually ending day.

"Nah, because he looked angry, but hurt?? I don't know how to describe it," Jia's classmate whispers about the shocking event of the day to her friend, oblivious to Nari who sits at a nearby table at the snack tent shop.

The friend gasps as she grabs multiple sweet radishes before dumping them into her mouth. "For real?? I never thought it was even possible. Jeno follows her around like a dog wagging his tail and growls at every single life form that comes close."

"I know, right? Talk about obsessed," the first giggles and they finish up their last few side dishes before leaving.

Nari sits still- not knowing how to react to the information she's heard. She hasn't seen any of the others in school, she spends most of her time only with Jaemin.

So hearing about Jeno lashing out is a complete shock.

"Hey... I notice that you're from XX High School. We're from the neighboring school. Mind if we sit with you?" A same-aged boy comes to Nari's table along with his two friends and the girl, who shows no rejection nor direct approval, is understood as permitting them space.
"My name's Hontae. You?"

  She has a name badge. They all do. It's clear that he's trying to initiate conversation.
"Nari."

  "Nari... That's a pretty name. I'm Geon. Why are you here all alone? No friends available to company?" Geon, one of the other two boys, asks.

  Again, she stays silent and they misunderstand as his question to be the exact scenario- thinking that she's sad about it thus, her silence.

  "It's okay, Nari. We'll be your company for the night," the last one, Jayme, says with a bright box smile.

  Nari looks at them, seeing them cheerily chatter and order food as their joyful aura seeps into her. It's warm and inviting. Soothing.

  She makes eye contact with Hontae and he smiles cordially- calling forth her urge to reciprocate but just when the corners of her lips start to stretch, a chilly, anxious feeling washes through her.

  A giant, frozen centipede crawling down her back.

  "You have to leave."

  The three boys halt their movements and turns to her at the abrupt shooing.

  "What?" Jayme sounds, confused and Nari looks at him dead in the eyes.

  "You. All of you have to leave right now," she emphasizes strictly once more with her hushed tone and fist clenches on the table.
"Go."

  Her sudden coldness puzzles them, rendering them speechless and unmoving- unable to see the warning signs until a tall, lean strong figure stands behind her.

  Big hands softly squeezing her shoulders and lips pulled to an unsettlingly sweet grin. "Nonsense. They came to accompany you, Nari, and they've already ordered food. Let them stay."

Hontae, Geon and Jayme have their eyes fixed on Jaemin who stares at them with upturned eyes- constantly shifting their gaze between him and the girl as they try to figure out their relation.

Jaemin tilts his head at the understanding of their scrutinizing eyes.
"Mind if I join?"