𝟒𝟎 | 𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐯𝐨𝐰.

All too much happened in such little time

One minute, you're internally rejoicing at the fact everyone made it on the ship safely, just to turn around and learn that despite your collective efforts, Liberio wouldn't be among the land spared from the Rumbling. Now you're sulking in a hallway on the ship with Reiner, ultimately confused on how to feel and what to do next.

With a posture slumped from near-exhaustion, you watched Annie with sad eyes from the doorway of the ship's cockpit. She struggled to move past Jean and Mikasa's strong frames, eyes wild with anger or maybe fear as she hung onto Hange's every word.

"I'm sorry Annie, but we can't go to Liberio." Hange repeated gently but firm. "We've decided with Magath that we'd go to Odiha instead. And it's not like we had much choice to anyways. There's no way for us to save Liberio."

Reality was finally setting in. The air was thick with silent panic.

Would there be any family left for you to go back to?

You took a look over your shoulder to see how Gabi was taking the news. She was uncharacteristically quiet as she sat beside Pieck on the floor, eyes wide and unfocused in a daze as she listened to Hange and Annie's debate. You and Reiner both exchanged a look of concern at the blank face she held. You couldn't imagine how she was feeling.

The soft thud of something hitting the floor beckoned you to turn around again, immediately spotting Annie on all fours. Her body gently shuddered with her sniffles. It was only then that you realized Annie was crying. This was probably the first time you've ever seen it happen.

"If we can't save Liberio.. then I don't have a reason to keep fighting." Annie weeped, "..I'm getting off the ship."

You couldn't help the spike of anxiety you felt at hearing her say that.

A scuff of shoes on wooden flooring made you look over your shoulder again. Connie was helping a limping Armin walk down the hall towards the rest of you. You instantly caught his eye; and him, yours. You both quietly studied the other, looking over your shared injuries. He had a nasty bruise covering the side of his swollen face, continuously releasing small clouds of steam in his efforts to heal. His white button-up was stained in spots of crimson and had small tears in the shape of round holes only in the chest area.