𝟒𝟗.𝟏 | 𝐠𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐢𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝

It took a while for Armin to convince Onyankopon that he was okay enough to leave the camp on his own

It took a while for Armin to convince Onyankopon that he was okay enough to leave the camp on his own. Onyankopon nearly tried to hold his hand and walk him home himself, but Armin hurried off before the man could, not wanting to cause a bigger scene than there already was.

The sun was dipping beneath the horizon by the time Armin started walking for the harbor, and so the little warmth there was left in the air went away with it. Armin buried his hands in his jacket pockets as he walked, tugging his scarf back over his chin and lips to fight the chill nipping at his skin.

Soon, Armin arrived at his destination, just in time to see a small ship dock at one of the berths in the harbor. Shortly after finding stability on the water, a line of helmeted soldiers marched off the ship carrying large wooden crates in their arms. The crates were known to be stocked full of supplies for survival; food, clothing, and other essentials for the small town of survivors to live off of until the next care packages were sent by the Mid-East nations.

The surrounding nations around Marley were, of course, affected by the Rumbling too, but the damage there was considerably less significant than the damage done on the mainland. Besides the naval and military bases Marley had destroyed during the four-year-war prior to the Rumbling, the nations in the Mid-East still had a decent amount of their cities and business ports intact. So, while they may not have had the means to defend themselves against another nation if it came down to it, they were still considerably well off in terms of survival.

The soldiers transported the care packages from the cargo ship to a wheeled automobile Armin learned was called a half-track car. The forest-green vehicle was larger than the automobiles Armin saw sitting around on the street or even the horse-drawn carriages he's seen in his own home. Uniformed guards dressed in beige stood watch around it, acting as a barricade between the care packages and the locals desperate enough to rush the soldiers for them, like they did the last few times. It had gotten so bad, the military had to routinely change locations a few times throughout the month, but if one were to pay attention, the pattern was easily solved.

From a distance, tucked between two buildings in a alleyway, Armin watched as the large group of locals began to crowd around the guards threateningly. Everyone was shouting and yelling over each other, each survivor stating their case as to why they deserved more rations than the other. The guards held up shields to ward everyone back, shouting out demands to no avail.