Long Black Train part 1

I moved Sprite closer to the cow's. I whisled as I did so. Moving cattle was one of my favorite thing that we do on the ranch. A big swarm of cows, calfs, and a couple bulls moved in front of me. In the blue clear sky I watched my dad's chopper come and look over the heard before flying off. Sprite didn't even flinch at the sound. I petted him and praised him. Jimmy on the other hand didn't have such luck on his side. His horse spooked causing Jimmy to fall off. I watched as Lloyd went to help him as Rip yelled. I decided that Lloyd had him so I keeped doing my job.

As we got back to the pens I was going through the cow's and calfs making sure everyone was here. "Rip!" I called. He looked over and I waved him over. He pushed his horse threw the crowd. I had to look up at him since I was on the ground.

"Everybody's here except for 60s calf." I said pointing to the cow that was bawling.

"Are you sure?"

"Ya. I check twice." I watched him sigh. He looked like he was going to taking off but something caught my eye. "Wait Rip!" I said pointing to where Jimmy was riding back from. On Jimmy' s saddle was the lost calf. I smiled and climbed through the fence and walked over to him.

"Nice going kid. I was just looking for this calf." He smiled at me while I got the calf out of the saddle. He ran right over to his mother.

I watched on the sidelines as my dad helped move cow's. He had just gotten some of his colon cut out last week due to colon cancer. The doctor told him not to ride but he wouldn't listen. Witch frustrated the hell out of me. He didn't want me to tell any one so I hadn't. I just wish he would listen. I watch as he went over to where two of his friends were talking. I knew the one would bring it up about having the cancer since his son was the one that took it out. That's how small town life was like. Everybody knew everything.

I heard Kayce's truck come up the drive and park. It was about 10 minutes later when Kayce came up to me. He climbed on the fence and sat next to me.

"Howdy stranger." I said with the tip of my hat. He laughed and rolled his eyes.

"Good afternoon Miss. Dutton." It was my turn to roll my eyes.

"Where's Tate?" I said when I didn't hear him or see him.

"Dad took him down to the river." I smiled.

"That's where we would always go." I said with a light chuckle. "You look tired." I said as I took a closer look at him. He had bags under him eyes.

"I am." He said as he rubbed his eyes.

"What's going on." I said. His green eyes meet my blue ones.

"Monica's sister in law. The one that lost her husband."

"The one that killed my brother." I said with anger.

"Yes."

"Well continue." I said. He had that look like he wanted me to apologize. But I wasn't going to. That fucker killed my brother. We sat in silence for a moment till he figure out I wasn't going to. He let out a sigh and continued.

"She killed her self. They was no money coming in. She could feed her kids. So she killed her self so that her kids could live with her folks." He said.

"I'm sorry that sucks." I said. I didn't say anything else. Not know I what to say to him.