The Unravelling

My eyes stared up at the celling. It was the middle of the night. More specifically 2 am. Rip layed asleep next to me. But my mind couldn't shut off. I knew what everybody would think about what happend today.

He killed the bear for the hell of it and the tourist saw him do it so he killed them too. It wasn't true in the slightest. I felt my eye lids start to get heavy. I finally closed my eyes and feel asleep.

"Where were you standing Rip?" Dad asked the next morning. We had rode up to where everything went down. I sat on Sprite and held the reains to Rip's horse as he showed where he had been standing. I looked over at the bear. Wolves had came in and chewed on it.

"I was right here." Rip answerd going over to the spot.

"I mean if that ain't self defense, I don't know what is." Dad said. I looked over to the sheriff. He was a wild card. I wasn't sure if he was on our side or not.

"If that's where you were really standing." My eyes narrowed at him.

"Hey Donnie. There's powder burns on his fucking nose man."

"Why don't you just do your job." Rip said.

"John calm your boy down here, or we're gonna have this conversation in town." I glared at him.

"Like hell you will." I said.

"Carly, Rip. Go to the house and wait for fish and wildlife. I got enough problems with out the two of you inventing more for me." I wanted to stand my ground but I knew better expecally today. I let out a sigh as I hand Rip his reains. He got on and we made our way back to the house.

As soon as I saw the officer of fish and wildlife I wanted to strangle her. She came in a snarky attitude.

"You're  the one taking me to see the bear?" She asked. I went to say yes your majesty but Rip beat me to it.

"Yes ma'am." He said.

"Officer Skyles. Not ma'am." She snipped back.

"Ok." Rip said as he mounted his horse next to me. I was already mounted up. Sprite asleep under me.

"How far's the ride?"

"Couple hours."

"You Mr. Wheeler? You the one that shot the bear?"

"Yes ma'am. Officer Sklyes I am, yeah."

"Is that the rifle?"

"Yes." She came and grabbed it. I had to bit my lip from saying anything. We then finally started the ride.

"Heard a lot of rumors about you Mr. Wheeler. All of the bad." Couldn't  she just shut up? 

"Mmm. Well most probably true."

"I sure hope not for your sake." She then turned to look at me. "I assume your Carly Dutton."

"Yep that's me." I said as I tugged my hat down a little lower on my head.

"You got quite the reputation in this town, I've heard rumors about you too."

"Well by all means please share. Because I've never heard them. People must be to scared to tell them to my face. Must not have enough balls." I said and sent her a quick smile. I heard Rip chuckle behind me but then cover it up with a cough.

"Hey ride in front of me please." She told Rip. Rip nodded but I noticed his eyes went over to her horse.

"He's got a horse fly on his rump there."

"I don't see a horse fly."

"Well I sure can see it." I fell back to ride along side Rip. There plain as day was a horse fly. " You want me to swat it before it bits your horse?"

"Don't fucking touch my horse. You understand me?"

"If that horse fly bits his ass..." I went to say before she intruppted me.

"Don't touch my horse." Before she could finish her horse reared up and took off running. I kicked Sprite to a run and chased after her.

"You lost the rein!! Jump!!" I yelled since we couldn't catch up.  By the time we had caught up the horse was tangled in the fence. The officer was on a fence post with the post  sticking out of her. I threw myself out of the saddle. She was muttering how she was going to die. I didn't even realize that Rip was next me before he spoke.

"You ain't going to die, cause if you die they're gonna think I did this too." He said as he fished out the radio. I held my hands around the fence post to try to stop the bleeding. "Give me your gun." She started to argue with him.

"When that horse catches it's breath it's gonna go berserk against those wires and it's gonna drag you to your death." I told her. "Now give him the damn gun."

"You do not get my gun." I felt like smacking the shit out of her. I got up and went over to Rip's horse. I dug into his saddle bags and found wire cutters.

"Easy boy." I cooed at the horse as I went over to him. I clipped the wires as fast I could. I got the last one cut before he stood up. I grabbed his headstall and looked over him. He had cuts all over. Some were deeper than others and would probley need stiches. I was so focus on the horse that I hadn't even noticed Rip had gotten the post out to the ground. I also hand noticed the chopper that was coming until her horse reared up again making me lose hold of him. With that both him and Rip's horse ran. I looked back to see Sprite was still there. Thank God. I helped them load her up in the chopper.

"Are you coming with us?" Rip asked.

"Not enough room. Sprite didn't run. I'll ride back home."

"Ok."

"Ok. Keep me updated." I went over and held on to Sprite as the chopper took off. "Good boy for not leaving me." I told him as I mounted.

I sat in the house with the tv turned on bit I could pay attention. It was more for background nose. As soon as the door opened I was up and pit of my seat. Rip came in looking tired

"She ok?" I asked.

"She'll be fine." I let out the breath I was holding and wrapped him in a hug. "There going to send out another one tomorrow." I shut my eyes and buried my head in his chest. I just want this over. "Don't worry darlin." He said and kissed my head.