A Monster is Among Us part 1

The sky was a nice blue color making the day warm and bright. I breathed. I went forward with a reins in one hand. I was going to work with a young horse today. He freaked out about any little  thing. We got to the pen and I lunged him for a bit. I then got on him. When I got on i could feel him tense up a little bit. I talked to him hoping to calm him down. Witch it did. When I thought he was relaxed enough I made him walk. I wasn't sure what had spoked him but one moment I was in the saddle. The next my ass was on the ground.

I hear somebody laughing. I snapped my head to look at the guy. He must be the new wrangler. He had a black beard and a funny looking hat. I glared at him as I got up. I saw the horse a couple of feet away from me. He hung his head.

"Its ok boy." I cooed to him as I approached him. When I got him calmed down I got back on. The guy I had noticed was know sitting on the fence.  I rode him till I felt like we had made progress. I got off and petted him. Looking down on my watch on my wrist I had an hour and a half before I had to go with dad to the doctor.

"He sure did buck you off hun?" The guy said.

"Ya I guess he did." I said with a little chuckle as I opened the gate.

"I'm Walker by the way."

"Carly Dutton." I said with a smile and nod of my head. Walker meet me on the other side of the gate.

"Do you have one?" He asked as he trapped me on the gate with no where to go.

"Have what?" I said getting agitated since I should of been unsaddling. 

"A brand." He said before yanking my peral snaps open. Exposing the brand and my blue bra. Who the hell does he think he is. I saw red. I clinched my hand into a fist and punched him. He fell to the dirt.

"Do anything like that again and I'll kick the living shit out of you. Jackass!" I said as I led the horse towards the barn while fixing my shirt. I put the horse back in the stall after I had unsaddled him and brushed him. I went back to my house and changed clothes before heading over to the main house.

"Come on dad we got to go!" I yelled up the stairs.

"Im coming." He said grumpy. I rolled my eyes i was in no mood for this. We got in the truck and made our way to town.

"I'm not sure why you have to come with me."

I let out a sigh before answering. "Because i want to know what's going on and what the next plan of action is going to be."

"I still don't see the point." I set him a glare from under my hat.

"The point is that if I don't go I don't know what the fuck is going on since you won't tell anybody." The truck filled with silence.

"You know you look exactly like your mother with that glare." I let out a chuckle.

We walked out of the doctor office. "See that wasn't to bad." I said as we walked through the hall way. Everything looked good he would just have to do physical therapy.

"Just wish I could've gotten a more dignified cancer." I rolled my eyes as we walked out into the waiting room. Inside the waiting room was a boy that looked just like Tate.

"Tate?" I called to see if it was him. He raced over and hugged my leg. Guess it was him. I squared down to be eye level with me. "Why are you here hon?"

"Moms here." My eyebrows crunch in confusion.

"How long have you been here?" He shrugged his shoulders. "Go over with grandpa. Telling him I'm calling you dad." He nodded and went over. I stood up and caught my dad's eye. He nodded. I nodded back and started to dial Kayce's number." He picked up on the second ring.

"What did I say about if I had to watch Tate? Or update me?" 

"I'm sorry. How did you know we were here?"

"Dad had a doctor's appointment. Am I good to take Tate back with us?"

"Ya."

"Ok good. Know keep me updated. I mean it Kayce." We said our goodbyes as I head towards dad and Tate.

"Come on dad your said you could come  home with us."