The Remembering

I stood on the porch looking out at the fields. I heard foot steps coming to me. Raising my head it was Monica. I narrowed my eyes at her. She decided against coming to me and went to my dad. My glare didn't stop Tate in the least as he ran towards me. I couldn't help it as a small smile found its way to my lips.

"Aunt Carly do I have to go to school?"  I let out a chuckle.

"Sorry buddy. We all had too. It's your turn to go." He groaned.

"Go see your grandpa before you leave. We will see you later."

"Ok bye."

"Bye. Have fun." He raced off.  I finished my cup of coffee and went off to work. It was later that evening. I mounted Star and headed to the pen. I had read an artical last night about how to shave a couple seconds off your ride and I want to try it out. As I was near the pen I noticed to figures. Beth and Jamie. I rolled my eyes at their bad timing.

"Calry!" Jamie yelled. I almost turned Star back to the barn. I didn't want to deal with him tonight. But I keeped going forward. Better to take it head on because he would just track me down.

"Did you know Dad had collen  cancer?" Jamie asked as I stoped Star.

"Ya. I drove him there." I said.

"What?!" Jamie snapped at me. I narrowed my eyes in warning. "So you knew and I didn't think to tell us?!"  I clinched my teeth in aggregation.

"Dad didn't want anyone to know. The only way I found out was because he needed a ride or the hospital wouldn't realize him. I just was doing what he asked of me. Plus Jamie you wouldn't be the first person I would tell."

"Unbelievable!!" Jamie yelled throwing his hands up making Star side step to get away. Beth just stood there. All I knew was that I was getting tired of Jamie shit.

"You know what Jamie!? Either time me or get the hell out of my way." I snapped. He glared at me. I glared right back. He finally walked away. My eyes then snapped over to Beth. "You going  to start in in me too?"

"No." She said as she walked away.

"Good." I thought as I moved Star into the arena to warm up.

Leaving the barn I was surprised to hear my phone go off I fished it put of my pocket. I was even more surprised at who was calling me. It was Kayce. I answered it and put it up to my ear.

"Kayce is everything ok?" I asked as I walked towards the house.

" No. Nothing's ok." I could tell that he had been crying or even was crying. "Monica went and broke up a fight at the school. The kid punched her and she hit the concrete hard."

"Is she ok?" I asked concerned. I didn't like her but she was brothers wife. I went and sat on the stairs.

"I'm at the hospital right now. They say she's going to be ok. Just have to keep an eye on her."

"Ok. See they said she would be ok. Are they giving you instructions?"

"Yes."

"Ok. So just follow them and keep an eye on her. Ok?"

"Ok."

"Alright. Keep me updated. And if I need to I can come get Tate. Just let me know."

"Ok. Thank you Carly. I just didn't know who to call."

"Kayce it's ok. And everything will be fine. Call me anytime. Now go home and get some sleep."

"Kay. Bye."

"Bye." I said then hung up. I closed my eyes and let a sigh. I sat there for a moment looking at the sky before going in.