thirty one

as i thought of us, did you love it too?
c h a m p a g n e p r o b l e m s

The weekend was slow. Lilith and Dream had breakfast one morning out at a restaurant they used to go to often. Most of the time was spent in bed while the other half was in between the sofa and kitchen beating each other at various games. For a moment she was disconnected. Twitter wasn't a priority and she didn't hesitate when she passed her streaming room. Work didn't stress her out like a dull ringing in her ears.

Lilith spent a normal weekend with Dream all over again—and somehow things fell back into place.

She edited, actually caught up on emails, ate until she her old afternoon nap routine returned, and had someone there to coil up on at night when her eyes ached from a day of screentime. There wasn't a moment Dream's hands attempted to invade her clothes like they all too frequently had. 

That Monday morning sun rose high in the sky at a snail's pace, and Lilith was antsy to clean up and lock her apartment. As she finished a load of laundry, Dream finished a late breakfast for them in the kitchen; she was sure to let him know to use the rest of whatever food could spoil in the next few weeks. She didn't know how long she would be gone, but a part of her wished for it to be for forever. How could she leave his arms again?

"What's wrong?" She laughed when Dream stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. He only made a noise and moved side to side. Then she felt the slight vibrations from his skin. "You're nervous, aren't you?" He laughed and took some steps back and stood next to her. His eyes landed on the clothes she sorted.

"I guess."

"You shouldn't be."

"Yeah keep telling yourself that." She looked at him with a glare. "You look just as nervous."

"Whatever." They didn't say anything as she continued to pack. Dream lay on her bed and scrolled on his phone. Anytime in her life, Lilith never would have assumed the situation she was in. Every time her eyes grazed over her best friend's body, another memory from their childhood consumed her.

"My mom said we had to go to sleep." Tiny whispers filled the warm room. An old blanket draped over the edge of the bed and over the back of the mini chair at the short pastel pink desk. Her hands and knees were comforted by the thick pillows and blankets on the carpet; she couldn't remember something as cozy and soft.

"We can pretend and then wake up when she goes to bed." Giggles filled the miniature fort as she curled up under the blankets and atop her fluffy pillows and stuffed animals. She turned to him and he looked back at her with wide eyes.

"What are we going to do?"

"Um," gears turned behind his platinum blond baby hair. "Stay up all night."

"Can we go outside?"

"Sure."

"Can we bring the pillows and blankets on the trampoline??"

"Yeah."

"And get snacks."

"Yeah," he repeated as his eyes lit up.

The bedroom door opened.

"Close your eyes," he whispered to her so she listened and they pretended to be asleep.

"You two have to go to sleep, school is in a few hours already."

No response. Her mother sighed. She closed the door behind her. After a second, she peeked her eyes opened. The boy in front of her still had his eyes closed.