Chapter 1: How did we get here?

The Warp Pad beamed the Crystal Gems, along with two humans, back to the temple.

"Now that we're home, how and why would you run who knows how far from home, climb a Homeworld structure, and attack a corrupted gem?" Pearl ranted. "Where are your parents?!"

The boys stood silently, awkwardly averting their gaze.

"What?" Pearl snapped, not wanting to deal with another House Guest.

"Good Lord, where do we begin?" The shorter of the two sighed.

"Our Dad's stationed in Eraq, and Mom...well..." The shorter of the two started, nudging the taller of the two.

"She gets home later and later, and wakes up earlier and earlier, where we wouldn't see her for weeks. Then our house kept getting got shot up, so we left where nobody could find us." Added the taller boy. "Where nobody could hunt us down again."

"And you didn't think to call the police?" asked Pearl, as if they were stupid.

"We did." The taller boy replied.

"Multiple times. By the time they got there, the thugs are already gone, so they think me and my brother are just bored or something." The shorter added.

"Sorry for interrupting, but we never got your names." Emerald replied. Pearl gave Emerald the side-eye.

"I'm Michael and he's Robert." The shorter boy replied. Robert waved awkwardly at the Gems.

"I'm Emerald" Emerald replied. "She's Pearl, That one's Amethyst, and Steven!" She pointed to the other Gems and Steven as she said their names.

"Nice to meet you...did you want us to leave?" Robert asked. "We can find somewhere else to hide."

"I don't think that will be necessary." replied another voice. Garnet stepped in from behind the door.

"Are you sure?" Michael asked, feeling uneasy, as these are the first people who ever wanted them inside in a while.

"Just keep Steven company for a while" Garnet replied, in her trademark stoicism. Steven led them to his loft, where they sat on his inflatable mattress.

Michael opted to play video games with him, while Robert sat behind and watched them play at first. They played through Steven's library for hours upon hours, with Robert eventually requesting to play.

* * *

Later, they decided to play with some of Steven's action figures. As Steven was playing, Ninja Guy fell under the couch. He looked upset, until Michael lifted the whole couch over his head without straining himself. Steven turned from upset to shocked at the sight, even more so when Steven grabbed Ninja Guy and he put it down as if he was setting down a box, leaving no damage to the floor or the couch.

"Don't tell anyone, okay?" Mike asked. Unfortunately for him, Emerald saw the whole thing

Emerald stood, hand over her mouth as she stayed out of sight. No human had powers like that and no gem could look that close to a creature of earth. She had no idea what these beings were, she had to alert Garnet, maybe they've made a grave mistake.

"Ms. Emerald, are you alright?"

Emerald jumped at the tiny voice that appeared out of nowhere, twisting behind herself as she looked for who spoke. There was nobody, Emerald thoroughly convinced she was beginning to lose grip of her sanity. She swore she heard Robert's voice, but he was still silently playing on Steven's computer.

"It's okay Ms. Emerald, I'm not going to hurt you."

"Garnet!" Emerald let out a shrill cry, running into the temple as thoughts ran through her head that both were filled with worry and were in a different voice than her own. Robert and Michael jumped at Emerald's shriek. "Welp, that's our cue." Michael said, getting up before Robert closed the tabs and put Steven's computer down, ready to follow suit. Steven was about to say something, probably in hopes of getting them to stay a little bit longer, but fearing he'd make the situation worse, he kept quiet.

Garnet came out of the temple with Emerald and Pearl following close behind her.

"I knew they were no good! We should have left them where they were!" Pearl ranted, her ego being inflated faster than a furry being drawn by some weird DeviantArt user whilst holding her spear. Emerald cowarded behind her, maybe pearl was right after all. 

"Just where do you think you're going?" Garnet asked them. Robert looked as though he might break down, intimidated by both Garnet's large frame, and the fact he could see themselves both reflected in her visor when they couldn't before, on top of there being 5 of the Gems and 2 of the brothers.

"Nobody screams for someone else and wants their guests to stay for the show." Mike replied. "Y'all ain't the first people to take us in, then throw us out that day."

"Your pity party won't work anymore!" Pearl snapped, failing to hide her smug whilst pointing her spear at the boys.

"We're not throwing them out." Garnet replied simply, looking down at Pearl. The boys looked confused, and Steven looked delighted.

"What if they turn on us? What if they're spies for homeworld?" Emerald asked Garnet, not wanting them to know their plan.

"They won't." Garnet replied assuredly. "They need us, they're not what you think."

Emerald and Pearl looked dumbstruck.

"Sorry I scared you, Ms. Emerald..." said Robert, out loud this time.

"It's alright" Emerald said, looking at the floor with embarrassment 

"So...You don't want us to bounce?" Michael asked.

"To be honest, I was more afraid there was a poltergeist or a gas leak." Emerald admitted. "But how did you do that? The whole 'speaking in my mind' thing."

"Let's just say he's the brain and I'm the brawn" Mike replied.

"I've been meaning to ask: why do you keep speaking on your brother's behalf?" Steven asked. "Does he tell you what to say?"

Robert shook his head no. "He just doesn't like to talk much." Mike replied.

"Did you know he could do telepathy or whatever it's called?" Emerald asked.

"Yeah, but I don't think he does it often...Do you?" Mike replied, looking at his brother. Robert shook his head no.

"The point is they need to hone their strengths." Garnet explained. "I see them being quite the help. Tomorrow, that is."

Pearl silently walked away, back to her room, as the boys arranged their sleeping positions on the couch and waited for Steven to get done in the bathroom before they took their showers and went to bed.

They had a long road ahead...

emeraldacrystalgem34

Superplushman