Chapter 7: Mirror Gem

Steven woke up that morning to the smell of breakfast already made: omelets, classic Denver omelets specifically. The Gems weren't there yet, presumably getting ready for the day.

"Did you two make this?" Steven asked.

"Pearl did. She told us to tell you to eat up." Mike replied almost immediately.

"She doesn't usually make me omelets..." Steven replied.

"First time for everything, I guess" Michael replied.

Pearl soon came back with various school supplies as he got a phone call from Connie.

As the boys ate, they overheard Steven casually reply that he's never been to school before, and that all his education came from the Gems.

"Good thing we left when school was out." Robert said to his brother. Pearl overheard the conversation.

"Here I was thinking Michael had summer school" Pearl replied with visible snark.

"Hey now," Mike snapped. "I bowled through your holograms, that doesn't mean I'm stupid."

"Doesn't matter, Let's get this lesson started!" she replied, pulling out a mirror. All three boys looked confused, especially when Pearl seemed to be fiddling with it, as if there was something special about it.

"Pearl? What's up with the mirror?" Steven asked.

"I THOUGHT it was going to display Gem History, but it's just...not...working!" Pearl replied, frustrated. "Oh well, that's the end of our school,"

It laid face down for a good 5 seconds before Steven took it, before looking back.

"Did you two wanna try anything with it?" Steven asked.

"It's a mirror. If I wanted to look at myself, I'd go to the bathroom or check my phone." Mike replied.

"And there's something about that mirror...I don't know what it is, but something about it just...rubs me a certain way" Rob added.

"Suit yourselves!" Steven replied, running out.

"This asymmetry is starting to bother me" Pearl said to herself, looking at the pile of stuff in the living room. Robert got up and helped her sort it all out as Michael ran off to hang out with Steven.

"So what's the goal with that mirror?" Mike asked, perplexed as to how Steven could be satisfied by a simple hand mirror, and how Pearl expected it to show anything other than what reflected from it.

Immediately, Steven turned around and began walking backwards. "Maybe I'll walk backwards into my Beach Summer Fun Buddy!" Steven replied, bumping into Lars.

"Watch where you're going ya little--" He growled. Michael started snickering.

"And what are you laughing at?" Lars snapped at Michael, which made him stifle his laughter, waving his hand as if to deter him from questioning it further. Steven asked what Lars planned on doing over the summer, to which Lars talked up the out of town girls coming to Beach City without their boyfriends, which only served to make it harder for Michael not to laugh, until he busted out laughing.

"What's so funny? Did you look into a mirror?" Lars snapped, which made Sadie giggle a bit as well.

"Did you fall on your head resulting in that stupid haircut?" Michael chortled. "Even if they didn't bring their boyfriends, they'd fall for a trash can before they fell for you!"

Steven went back to walking backwards, with Michael following ahead. Steven was about to get hit by Dewey by backwards walking in front of Dewey's van. Michael tackled Steven as he was about to get hit, pushing him out of the way.