Chapter 14: Jailbreak

Steven's eyes cracked open, revealing smooth green walls all around him. He heard faint singing as he held his head, trying to make the headache go away.

He called out for the Gems but to no avail. Recalling what happened just before being knocked out, he distinctly remembers Garnet poofing into two gems instead of one, one red and one blue. It perplexed the boy, but he wasn't going to get answers by sitting in his cell.

Getting to his feet proved to be a more difficult task than he first predicted, the pounding in his head getting more violent as he did so. It eventually subsided, but he had to find a way to get out and find his friends.

Steven first tried the forcefield, but soon found it wasn't 100% solid. Rather, it felt like a warm jet of water was rinsing over him, while also pushing back, like a poorly programmed collision.

With enough effort, he pushed out, cheered for a brief moment, and ran off to find his friends.

He explored the halls at random, trying to find the singing voice.

On the way he found Robert shaking out his hand, blowing on it to get it to stop burning.

"Hey, are you okay?" Steven asked, sticking his hand in the forcefield, noticing a similar effect to the previous forcefield: not preventing him from leaving. It was as if this forcefield was specifically designed for humans.

Robert motioned for steven to turn his arm, crawling under the hole it made in the forcefield. Both of them were free, but now what?

Both boys heard someone stomp their way down the hall, Robert seeing a flash of orange hair. Luckily, she didn't see them, but she seemed intent on finishing off someone else they cared about.

The two hastily followed, making sure the two didn't get spotted.

They didn't have to go far, as she stood before a short blue girl in a dress. The song came from her.

"Stop it!" The orange giant bellowed, punching the wall hard enough to shake the walls.

Steven stayed hidden, hoping that the orange girl would just move on.

The short blue girl closed her mouth, ice forming around her dress.

"Still proud of your little rebellion?" Jasper asked, leaning in closer to the blue girl. She didn't respond. "Come on, show me how this all ends!"

The girl, in the most stoic and unfazed tone in the hall, replied, "It ends in failure, Jasper. I see you succumbing to your own pride."

"I'm gonna enjoy seeing you get recycled!" Jasper replied, storming off.

Steven and Robert rushed to the girl's aid when the coast was clear.

"Steven! Robert! You escaped!" She started before Steven showed that the forcefield didn't affect him. Robert tried this one, and to his surprise, it felt like nothing at all. Making an arch, the blue girl stepped through, as the ice fell off the dress.

"How did you know our names?" Robert asked.

"All will be revealed in time, there are more important matters at hand."

The blue girl darted the halls, running like mad. Steven and Robert trailed behind her, struggling to keep a hold on her hand.

They stopped in front of a little red child, trying to punch the forcefield. She pulled her hand back from the glowing wall, it turning to fuzzy static for a moment.

Robert and Steven made another arch for the child. Her tone changed in an instant, from one of pure rage and frustration to that of pure shock.

Slowly, she stepped through before nearly tackling the blue girl in a hug.