Chapter 18: The Pod

Before Steven could even register what was going on the gems scrambled to the warp pad, it going off with a foosh before he could ask what the fuss was about.

A small note was left in the Crystal Gem's place;

"Peridot landed on earth, going to find her.

Stay safe, there's food in the fridge.

- Love, Pearl."

The gems wouldn't be home for a while, so he went over to Robert and Michael's house to hang out.

When he knocked, the burly Percival answered. "The kids are upstairs in their rooms." He said. Steven gulped when he saw the man, giving him a nod before he headed upstairs.

Going upstairs, he heard some metal music coming from Michael's room. He peaked his head in, the metal music ringing through his skull by this point.

Michael turned when he heard the door open. Steven wasn't as surprised as any normal person would be had they see him deadlifting 300 lbs. without breaking a sweat. He turned off the music when Steven tried in vain to get his attention.

"What?" He asked, putting the barbell down.

"The Gems are out looking for Peridot." Steven replied. "Wanna hang out?"

"Sure, dude. What did you have in mind?" Michael asked. That's when Robert came out of his room.

"What's going on here?" He asked.

"We're trying to figure out where we're gonna hang out." Steven said.

"I think we know a place." Robert replied, looking at Michael.

"Oh, you don't mean... there, right?" Michael asked, grinning.

"Oh, I do." Robert replied, taking Steven by the hand.

"Hokay, now how do we get this thing to go to Kentucky?" Michael asked, standing on the warp pad.

"Wait, Kentucky?" Steven replied. "That's at least three states away!"

"Don't worry, we'll be back by the time the Gems get home." Michael reassured Steven.

"And if we don't?" Steven asked.

"I left a note for Dad and the Gems just in case." Robert replied, grabbing some toy lightsabers.

"Okay...I was grounded once before, and I'm not taking the fall for this one." Steven replied.

"If it comes to that, you won't" Michael replied, as the warp pad took the boys to a wooded area in Kentucky. The boys looked around before taking their bags and heading north.

On the five-minute walk, Steven hoped this wasn't a trick. But come at the end of the path, the boys found themselves in a small town. It looked similar to Beach City, although, it looked more...southern.

Country music played on a distant radio, as the boys showed Steven around the small town of New Middletown.

Steven strolled behind the boys, letting them lead through the odd town. It was more empty than Steven was used too, the streets being oddly dead.

"Where is everyone?" Michael asked.

"I don't know, and I'm not spotting the presence of anyone." Robert replied. "Except for that."

Up ahead a smoldering crater attracted the attention of the present townsfolk. It emitted a weird green glow, a large pod sitting in the middle of it.

Robert, Michael, and Steven rushed to the crater, the pod looking empty but still active.