Chapter 9: L6Y-Facet 74

Ever since the Lapis incident, things have been quiet for the kids at home. Robert was trying to hone his psychic skills, hoping to see either his mother or that pink girl again.

"Turns out white men CAN jump!" Michael joked, seeing Steven lose to Clayton for the fifth time. The two were playing Kingdom Hearts that day, and Steven spent most of the morning trying to make it past the Deep Jungle.

"What are you talking about?" Steven asked.

"It's a movie, 'White Men Can't Jump' starring Wesley Snipes," Robert clarified, after losing concentration. "Oh, and go back to Olympus and come back. The Thunder spell makes the fight much easier." Steven wondered just what Robert was talking about with the movie bit, and continued playing. Robert went outside to the beach where it was much calmer, and began concentrating some more.

Strangely, this time, he didn't find the pink girl or his mother. Instead, Robert found a girl with a green gem in her chest wearing strange gear, particularly on her arms and legs. He was sure to ask about it to the Gems. She looked nervous, as if she was on thin ice for something.

"L6Y! Progress on experiment 45!" Robert didn't know the voice, but could feel the strange being's fear with them, his body shivering

"I- um- it's going- good." L6Y didn't mean to trip over her words so much, but her commander made it so hard not too.

"You lost it!" The being shouted, grabbing L6Y by the shoulder, making her yelp.

"N-No, I didn't!" She stammered. "I-I'll get it for you!"

"No need!" Her commander groaned. "Just make sure it gets done!"

L6Y went back to work as her commander stormed off. Robert felt blessed he and his brother didn't have to deal with that kind of abuse, seeing her. He wanted to hug her, but couldn't say or do anything. Even still, he had to see what "Experiment 45" was and what the other 44 were. If it was what he thought it was, the Gems, his brother, and himself were all in huge trouble.

Thankfully, it wasn't WHO he thought it was, but horrifying nonetheless. Through a window, they saw a man about his age acting like a rabid gorilla, only with much more jerky motions, like he was being controlled. It looked almost like a scene from a horror movie. L6Y looked just as terrified as he did, more so that, according to the chart on screen, it was her job to take care of it, and judging by her bruises, it was no easy task.

Robert tried to get her attention in any way he could, but she didn't seem to notice him. Everything he tried, he couldn't interact with, as if he was a ghost. This shot what little confidence Robert had, going back to the beach. He laid back in the sand after opening his eyes. He felt terrible, believing he was useless. He couldn't fight, he couldn't use his psychic powers, Steven was probably getting his head handed to him by Cloud Strife, and he couldn't talk to anyone about it, because they'd think he was either making it all up, insane, or a wimp.

And now L6Y was going to suffer, that pink girl probably starved to death, and his mother was lost to the void and it was all his fault. He slumped backwards onto the beach, looking into the stars for guidance. They twinkled in a mocking tone, giving him nothing.

Defeated, he walked back into the house, doing everything in his power to hide his emotions and thoughts. He glanced over at the TV to see that Steven managed to beat Cerberus, so at least one concern of his was remedied.

"Rob, is something wrong?" Steven asked, hearing him come in.

"No, no...I'm fine..." Robert replied, slumping on the couch. He was about to give up and go into a depressive state when he overheard the cutscene following the Clayton battle, indicating that Steven managed to go back and beat Clayton. If Steven didn't give up after getting smacked around by a guy with a shotgun, he shouldn't give up in at least finding out where any of the three people who showed up in his visions.

The Crystal Gems came into the house.

"Hey, Ms. Pearl, would gems ever make human-gem hybrids?" Robert asked.

"Yeah: Me." Steven replied.

"Well, I saw a girl with a green gemstone in her chest. I don't think it was an Emerald, but it was green..." Robert explained. "She was getting a lot of flack over an 'Experiment 45'...Do you know what any of that's about? I'm more scared for her safety, she looked like she's been through hell."

Pearl seemed taken aback, more so that he asked her about it than him knowing about them at all

"The last time they tried artificial human-gem hybrids was over ten thousand years ago... The Diamonds took humans and tried implanting gems into them...it went so horribly they outlawed any more experiments like this...but the fact they're trying again...something's not right..." Pearl explained.

"Artificial?" Steven asked, not knowing what she meant.

"Gem made rather than born." Garnet replied. "It's sickening"

"Where did you see this girl?" Pearl asked, kneeling down to Robert's level

"In my dream, she was on a ship with a blueish gem, same cut as a Emerald though, pretty tall, too." he said.

"Emerald? Do you-" Pearl held her clasped hands to her mouth

"No, she was shattered a long time ago- she couldn't-" Emerald stammered, scared.

"The gem looked pretty cracked on her face though, if that means anything." Robert replied. "What's wrong? Do you know either of them?"

"She's a cruel and twisted slavedriver, I've seen so many gifted gems meet their end by her hand. "

"Well, I'll see if I can't get her attention and get her out of there." Robert replied,

"And if she comes for you, we'll cut her into an engagement ring." Michael added, flexing. "Maybe a few."

"I hope so" Emerald laughed, trying to ease the palpable tension in the room

Meanwhile... 

L6Y was done with her duties taking care of Experiment 45, and planned on going to her cubby, hoping on getting some sleep. 

Along the way, she caught a glimpse of something she never thought she would see... a report that a human willingly stepped aboard a gem ship. Apparently a Sapphire managed to convince a random Earth Human to come with her, and from what the reports are saying, it is grieving over the loss of something called a "Family." 

If it was worth grieving over as much as they were saying he was, she had to look into it... in secret, as her commander wouldn't be too thrilled if her Peridot was learning without her permission.

She secretly summoned her pad, searching through archives to find this "family" thing the earthling talked of. If it was worth risking everything for, it surely was far more valuable than anything they had in the ship, maybe the thing that would let her feel this "happiness" she's heard so much about. 

She slammed her head back as the logs came back empty, the pad closing as she slid down to her boots. How was she supposed to find something completely unheard of to gemkind?

She then had an idea, one so bold she began quivering in her boots just thinking about it: She had to step off the ship and make her way to the ship where they were keeping it. L6Y drifted off to sleep, hoping to get a glimpse of what a Family even was.

Thankfully, the Warship was coming close to a docking port. Maybe she could get to it there and find out? It was bold, and she only had one shot, but in order to experience "Happiness" or know what a "Family" is, or even who this human is, she had to take it!

As the ship pulled in, she remotely disabled the security features of the ship. She had only 5 minutes to get to another ship and hope it was the one with the fabled human before they started back up again, and Blue Emerald would notice her absence. It was now or never!

Once Blue Emerald stepped off, followed by her pearl, L6Y jumped off the ship and ran to another. Without a hunch, she had to make the first decision she has ever made on her own. With crossed fingers, she stowed away on the nearest ship as it took off.

emeraldacrystalgem34

Superplushman