Chapter 21: The Search for Peridot

Lily, Michael, and Steven had a sleepover the night before, and Steven's phone rang. Pearl was on the other end of the house phone.

"Steven, I need you here right now. It's urgent!" Pearl replied.

"I'll be right over." Steven replied, rushing from the Light residence to the Temple.

Once there, Pearl, Garnet, Amethyst, and Emerald were waiting.

"Steven, I've talked with Mr. Light, and he agreed to house you in his guest bedroom. We're going to be gone for a little while." Pearl explained.

"Pack everything you're going to need for the next few weeks and stay there," Garnet added.

"What? Why!" Steven asked. "We can handle a gem mission."

"Steven-." Pearl sighed. "Trust us, it's for your own good."

"Yeah, last time you went on one, you almost got killed," Amethyst added.

"We'll see you soon, Steven." Emerald gave him a hug before stepping on the warp.

"So long as Emerald doesn't bring in any more stray humans," Amethyst joked as the warp pad set off.

Steven packed his clothes and trudged back to the Light residence. Percival waved to Steven.

"Sorry y'can't go, kiddo." He replied, sympathizing with him.

Lily waved from the couch, having taken the time to set up video games in the living room, excited for her first "sleepover." She knew it was some kind of earth activity for humans her age, but was still fuzzy on the details. She silently looked to Micheal and Robert, hoping for some kind of help, not really knowing what else there was besides video games.

The boys happily joined, but Steven was still hurt he wasn't able to join the gems, unable to focus on the game.

As the boys and Lily played through Castle Crashers, everyone found themselves protecting Steven, until Robert's eyes became glazed over, dropping his controller. Lily began to panic, believing her brother was having what was known as a seizure.

Michael tried to slap Robert out of his trance, until he took a deep breath, finally snapping out of it.

"I know where Peridot is!" Robert announced, shocked.

"How?" Steven asked."Are you sure you didn't just have a stroke?"

"Yes, and I know just the plan!" Robert replied. "And we're gonna need all of us in order to pull it off as he gathered the group for a team huddle.

* * * LATER * * *

The boys and Lily waited until Mr. Light went to bed before Robert woke them up and told them to follow his lead.

Lily stalled, unsure if Dad would forgive her if he caught her.

"If we follow my lead and nobody snitches, we'll be in and out before anyone knew we were gone." Michael added, putting faith in his brother.

The kids snuck out of the house that night and rushed to the warp pad, instructing Steven to take them to the Gem Kintergarden.

"This is the one," Robert said as they stepped off. "Cherry blossom tree that looks like Rose Quartz"

The four of them snuck around in the abandoned Gem kindergarten. Seeing all of the misshapen holes, the abandoned injectors made Lily squirm a bit as she followed her brothers and Steven. The jagged rocks made everyone tense, as one slip-up ensured a swift and painful demise.

Every hair on Lily's body stood on end as groans could be heard, running closer to Robert and Michael.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Lily asked.