Chapter 6: Fun-Land

Emerald got the word that today was going to be bright and sunny today, perfect for taking her pseudo-sons out around Beach City. She got the boys dressed, cleaned up, and ready to go.

Steven was going out with Connie to hang out at Fun-Land, and the other Gems were going on a mission they didn't need Emerald for, so she had the boys and the whole day to herself. Robert and Michael were curious to see what Emerald was planning, and since they knew she was friendly, they trusted her. Emerald's plan was to show them around town.

"So this isn't some remote Island a few thousand miles from Hawaii?" Michael asked.

"No, just Delmarva" Emerald laughed. "Come on, there's a lot to do here."

Emerald led Robert and Michael to the Fry Shack. "And here it is, home of the fry-burger, the best fries in America, and the fry bits!" Emerald stated.

"For the eightieth time, WE! DON'T! HAVE! BITS!" a kid Steven's age shouted from the fryers.

"Fry bits?" Mike asked.

"Cut up the potatoes before putting them in the fryer." Emerald clarified. Another teen, much older than Robert and Michael, stared at the kids and Emerald intensely. He creeped the boys out, as they urged Emerald to go. Emerald glared at the guy before leaving.

Their next stop was the Car Wash, where Robert and Michael met Steven's father, Greg.

"Don't worry about introducing yourselves, Steven told me all about you two." Greg explained.

"Word gets 'round fast!" Michael replied, self-assuredly.

"I guess" said Greg, getting in his van to show off all the unsold merchandise and CD's. Michael talked up being a rock-rapper with Greg, and about his music career. Meanwhile, Robert noticed someone coming out of the bookstore across the street. A cute ginger girl with amber-tinted glasses. She seemed to turn away when she noticed he was looking at her. She quickly walked away, leaving Robert confused and slightly disappointed.

Meanwhile, Greg was telling the story of how he met Steven's mother, Rose Quartz. He explained how he was a one-man band, wasn't doing so hot for a while, and how he fired Marty just to go back to Rose, despite Pearl's disapproval of their relationship.

"So yeah, That's how I met Steven's Mom." Greg concluded.

"Looks like we're not the first people Pearl seemed to hate" Michael laughed. Greg was concerned. "Aren't you living with her?" he asked.

"Well, yeah, but she doesn't seem to like us. I don't know why. We help around the house, we help Steven with his chores." Michael replied.

"And Mike even c--" Michael shut his brother up before he could finish. Greg and Emerald were left confused, but didn't ask.

Emerald then led them around town, letting them know where everything is. From Fish Stew Pizza, to Mayor Dewey's office, to finally, Fun-Land. It was like happening upon the gates of heaven for the two boys, their eyes filled with a fire the surpassed even Steven's excitement.

The boys dragged Emerald in by the sleeve, her giggling as they gleefully went through the large sprawling park.

As Robert rushed in front of Emerald he took notice of someone, it was the girl from the bookstore! Her hair was fiery red, her eyes practically glowed a soft seafoam green. Robert wasn't exactly sure what it was, but something drew him to her. She was magical, he just wasn't sure how.

"Uh Rob, You good there?" Mike asked as Robert watched the strange girl wander across the park. When Michael got an idea as to who caught Robert's attention, he smirked. "You got a crush, don't you!" taunted Michael.