Chapter 4: The Shadow Lining

"I'll never surrender to you!" Kalinka screamed, huffing as she climbed through the obstacle course the dark goddess had made just for her, The rotted wood ladder threatening to collapse into the boiling pool of black below.

"Your fight is rather adorable dear Kalinki, such a shame that I'll have to extinguish it soon." The twisted goddess floated on a throne made of charred bones above the course, sipping a unknown liquid out of a wooden cup as she snapped her fingers, sending Kalinka into the black below as the ladder fell apart under her. The wicked dame cackling as she fell into the bubbling pool.

Robert awoke with a deep chill down his spine, these bizarre nightmares seemed to only become worse and worse as time went on. He sat up and took a few staggered breaths, holding back warm tears as he felt anxiety fill his chest. It was still dark out, Robert swearing he could make out faces as the darkness swirled and flashed. He wanted his mother and father, the night terrors becoming too much to bare. Rain fell heavily on the beach house, thunder being heard in the distance. Robert curled in his blanket as he waited for the noise to pass, just wanting a peaceful night for once.

Not wanting to disturb anyone, he made his way and prayed for the safety of his mother, hoping his dream wasn't what was really happening to her. After he was done, he curled back into bed, still fearing the worst but managing to drift to sleep.

The next morning, Connie showed up at Steven's house, catching her breath on the steps. She looked soaked, like she had been out in the rain for quite a while. She banged on the screen door frantically.

"Steven! Something really weird just happened and I need your help!" Connie called from the porch. Pearl let her in and Emerald brought out a towel, allowing her to dry off as she sat down.

"Is there another corrupted gem loose?" Emerald asked

"Not... exactly? It didn't have a gem but it was monster shaped. It spat this corrosive goo that melted through the door, once it saw inside my home it left, I think it was looking for something." She explained "Nobody's hurt, but it still scared us."

"I haven't heard anything like this before, have you Emerald?" Pearl asked

"This is completely new to me, Maybe it's a new weapon sent by the diamonds?" Emerald asked.

Pearl straightened as she summoned her spear. "Either way we need to capture this thing before it gets too out of control. I'm going to get Garnet, make sure the boys don't try to follow us." She instructed.

"I'm an indestructible force of nature!" Michael said. "What, you think I'll get in the way?"

"Like I said before: You're strong, but you're not invincible." Emerald replied. "And it's not like Me or Steven's going, either." Michael mumbled something under his breath as the Gems walked out to face the monster.

The monster itself was a hairy beast. On its two legs the size of oil drums, it prowled the streets looking for its target. It stood twice as tall as Pearl, and didn't seem to pay them any mind, even when they were right in front of it.

"Light" it grumbled, before spitting the corrosive liquid at the Crystal Gems. They jumped out of the way as it sizzled in the rain.

They made sure the beast made no moves near the Temple, as it would spell disaster for Emerald and the boys.

The gems tried to stop it before it entered beach city, surrounding it with their weapons.

The monster let out a garbled roar, spitting black goo all over the battlefield, bubbling and sinking into whatever it touched. 

Amethyst tried tying the monster with her whip only for it to corrode into pieces upon touching the creature, melting into globs of light before fizzling out to nothing. 

"Liguahhh" The monster garbled before stomping past the purple gem, leaving puddles of goo where it stepped.  Thunder rumbled overhead. 

"Pearl, your spears conduct electricity,  right?" Garnet asked. "I have an idea."

Pearl immediately tried throwing a spear at the back of the beast's head. As it stuck, the beast reached around, attempting to pull it out. Suddenly, lightning struck the spear and conducted to the monster. In a flash, the monster exploded into a sploch of black goo before it disappeared into black smoke, leaving neither gem nor corpse. They watched the rain claim the smoke and wash it down the storm drain. Confused, they walked back to the house, where Emerald had Steven and Connie playing video games as Robert and Michael were hugging the green gem.

"What happened?" Emerald asked.

"Whatever it was, it wasn't human or gem." Pearl replied.

"I don't think it was a creature from our world." Garnet added.

"What really stinks is I wanted to take the boys around town" Emerald replied. "Let them unwind a while." 

"After yesterday, I think it would be a good idea." Pearl added.

"It should stop soon, and I don't think we'll see anything else for a while..." Garnet replied. 

The boys were excited to finally see the town they're in. As far as they know, they could just as well be on some remote island smack in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, seeing as the most "Outside" they've been thus far is Steven's front porch.

"We'll have to wait for the rain to stop, though." Pearl replied. "When it does, Emerald, you're in charge of taking them around town." 

Emerald wondered what happened to Pearl. She rarely seemed to trust her with anything, and even then, it was always with something mundane, not the safety of human children. 

Nonetheless, Emerald felt a wave of confidence as she prepared their trip around Beach City.

emeraldacrystalgem34

Superplushman