Grief 🥀

A/n: Alright for all of you who skipped Wrong Rope, Sam fell off a cliff and is gone basically and now Clare is telling base camp what happened.

Day 26, 7:12, Base Camp

   Anthea sipped her warm cup of tea, she had gotten up very early that morning. She was still expecting Clare to call in. She had prayed very hard last night that they had got to base 4 despite the terrible storm.

    Shelly Claymore the doctor came into the tent."You're up early this morning, Anthea." She said helping herself to some tea.

      "Yeah I'm still waiting for Clare to call in." Anthea said. " How is Chopel doing with is cough?"

      "Its getting better, it should be gone by tomorrow if he takes his medicine."

        Anthea chuckled."That tough old man is really stubborn, isn't he?"

       "Always." Shelly said taking a sip of her drink.

      "Do you think they are okay?"

        "Group 9 with Colby and Sam?"

        "Yeah."

         "I hope so."

        Anthea and Shelly sat there in the tent, in silence for several minutes. It was broken by the sound of the radio crackling. " Clare to base, Clare to base." Anthea burst out of here seat to grab the transmitter.

        "Clare this is Anthea, hello. Where are you?" She asked.

        "We are base 4, do you copy." Clare said.

        Anthea breathed sigh of relief."We copy you loud and clear, Clare. Is everyone there?"

       There was a unexpected silence."Clare, are you there?"

       "Yeah, yeah I'm here."

       "Is everyone with you, Clare?"

       "Umm.....not everyone."

     "What do you mean, not everyone?" Anthea asked.

     "Sam didn't make it."

     Anthea put her hadn't to her mouth"Oh my gosh. What happened?"

     "I..(deep breath) I wasn't there when it happened." Clare said." What Abhik told me (shaky breath), he fell off the edge during a small avalanche. They tired to pull him up but the rope got stuck."

     Clare at the time began to cry." Sam un tied himself in confuse and (sob) he fell."

     "I am so sorry." Anthea said, she was trying to hold back a sob herself."How is everyone else?"

       "Colby is handling it very badly, Abhik and Corey had to almost drag him to base 4." Clare said, she took another shaking breath before continuing." As for Jake, Elton and the others. They're all shaken, their trying to comfort Colby as best as they can. This is all my fault Anthea, if had just stayed with them instead of going a head this wouldn't happened!"

       "No it's not your fault Clare. It's no ones fault." Anthea said. " I understand what you're feeling now but you have to bring the rest of them home okay?"

       Clare breathed a slow breath"Okay, see you a few days."

        "Alright, stay strong, Clare." Anthea said.

        With that Clare clicked out. Anthea sat down on a chair and put her her head in her hands."Oh my gosh, oh my gosh."

       "We have to call his girlfriend now." Shelly said, her eyes were slightly red. Anthea sighed and nodded her head.

        Day 26, 7:30 am, Home

      "Kate!" Devin called from down stairs." Call from Mt. Everest for you!"

     "Kate leaped out of her bed, she didn't have a very good sleep last night and hearing Sam's voice would defiantly make up for it. She put on a house coat and rushed down the stairs.

      "Is it Sam?" She asked Devin who was holding the phone.

       "Um, no its base camp. They didn't say why they called though. They just told me they wanted to talk to you." Devin said handing Kate the phone.

         "Okay." Kate said, taking the phone a little puzzled." Hello, this a Kate speaking."

         "Hello Kate, this is Anthea the base camp manager." A voice said.

        "Hi Anthea, why are you calling? How is Sam and his friends doing?"

        "Kate-I am very so sorry."

         Kate was really confused now." Sorry for what?"

        "Sam just passed away yesterday."

       At that moment everything for Kate went blank. She just stood there with the phone to her ear. " I'm so sorry Kat." Anthea said but Kate didn't hear it. The phone just slipped out of her hands and fell to the floor.

        It landed with a thud catching Devin and Amanda's attention." You okay, Kate?" Devin asked.

       Kate just stood there. Her breaths came out heavy." He is gone." The moment the realisation finally set in she collapsed to the floor and cried loud heavy sobs. Devin and Amanda rushed over to her.

       "Kate are you alright?" Amanda asked.

         Devin picked up the phone."Hello?" But after a few moments, she realised why her friend was crying. She slowly hung up and knelt down next to Kate. "What happened?" Amanda whispered.

      "Sam just passed away." Devin whispered but Katrina still heard and continued to cry. Her tears streamed down her cheeks and hit the wooden floor. Her friends patted her back and whispered words of sympathy but it all didn't help the fact Katrina had just lost her true love.