A hand to hold

"Boop"

Julieta jumped when she felt a hand on her lower back and turned just in time to fall into your trap. She felt something cold on the tip of her nose and your giggles filled her ears. A stain of paint, how mature of you.

"Oh come on, you can at least pretend you're glad to see me" you said, batting your lashes innocently.

"I'm happy to see you, Y/N" she said "but must you do this every time?"

"What? Put paint on the tip of your nose?"

"Yes"

"Well, you know my fingers are always painted on, so there's not much I can do about it" you justified.

It was true. You were the town painter, and you usually spent your days painting intricate patterns on the tiles or walls of the people who asked you to. Sometimes you also gave painting classes or made paintings. Either way, it was true: you always had paint on your hands.

"You could clean yourself once in a while" Julieta joked

"Meh, we both know that they will stain again sooner rather than later" you shrugged "besides, your nose looks prettier like that"

The brunette was going to say something when more people began to arrive at her stand and a couple of children ran to meet you and dragged you with them to play. You didn't go very far, so she could see you out of the corner of her eye, running and laughing.

You were an adorable sight, with children on top of you and an energy that easily matched theirs. You were a free soul and Julieta loved you for it, but at times like this, the age difference between you became painfully obvious.

She didn't understand that you could win with this relationship, but you had been stubborn in befriending her, and the woman would be doomed if she didn't admit that you made her feel special. At least, you were a breath of air that came just when she most felt drowning.

And if people looking curiously at the colorful tip of her nose was the price she had to pay for having you in her life, so be it.

_________________________

Julieta sighed wearily as she knead the dough for the next batch of arepas. She had barely gotten home and she just wanted to rest, but she knew it was better to do them now or it wouldn't give her time in the morning.

Still, it was hard to ignore the pain in her back. She definitely wasn't getting any younger.

"Pssst"

The older woman jumped before frowning and looking out the window. There was no one or anything, but she was sure that was where the noise had come from.

"Psst psst"

"What the-"

Putting the dough aside and wiping her hands with her apron, Julieta went to the window and opened it so she could look out. She must have known it was a trap.

"Boop!"

You laughed when the older woman took a few steps back in surprise. Your legs ached a bit from being crouched for so long, waiting for the best moment to catch her off guard, but it was worth it to see the soft blush on her cheeks.

"Y/N! What are you doing here?"

"I just finished a mural" you explained "I was just going home when I noticed the light was on"

"Isn't it a little late to be painting?" she questioned, her maternal instincts immediately surging.

God, she really was many years older than you.