It could have been me (F!Reader)

a/n: some dialogues are taken from Consejo de amor by Morat

___________________________

"I'm going to get married"

The words continued to resonate in your mind, even hours after your best friend had left, even in the dead of night, as you stared blankly at the sky. She was getting married, your best friend, your soul mate, your Julieta, was getting married. And contrary to your dreams and fantasies, it wasn't with you.

She was engaged to that boy, Antonio? Armando? Adolfo? You didn't even know his name, you didn't care. He was stealing from you the only person besides your sister that mattered to you. It was not fair.

That... that stupid, idiotic, clumsy, too dumb to live kid was taking the one thing you've ever wanted, the one thing you've asked of the universe, the one thing you've dared to dream of since you came to this place. Julieta's love

And the worst of all was that she herself had invited you to the wedding. Even worse! She had the impudence to ask you if you wanted to be her bridesmaid! And she had told you everything with a smile so bright that it burned your soul because... how could you tell her no?

You had never learned how to do it and you were not going to start at that time. No matter how much it hurt you, no matter how fast and sharply it was cutting your dreams and faith in the future, you couldn't say no.

So, heartbroken, you forced a smile and hugged her, pretending to be happy for her and saying that you would be her bridesmaid with pleasure. That's what best friends are for, right?

You would have been happy to fulfill your role, just to see her happy in the arms of another and shut up, you would even be willing to face the nightmares that you knew would invade you that night, all for her. If it wasn't for the ghost of sadness in her eyes.

It was just that that didn't let you sleep.

_____________________________

"Where is Y/N?"

Julieta frowned when she saw your sister Martina enter her room, wearing the bridesmaid dress that you should be wearing. The brunette grew concerned when you started to get more distant with her for a while now, and a warning echoed in her mind as she noted that it had started from the day she told you she was engaged.

She wouldn't admit it out loud, but along with that worry came a faint glimmer of hope. The truth was that she didn't want to get married...at least not with Agustín. The man was sweet and kind and he always made her laugh, but he was not the person whose name was engraved on her mind and heart. It was you.

She didn't have an exact date when her feelings for you changed to the dangerous fire that now resided in her veins, but she was very clear about the life she wanted with you. In her dreams, she managed to gather enough courage to tell her mother her secret, and for once she listened and told her to go after you, to choose her happiness, and she did, she ran to look for you and you were waiting with open arms and you kissed her, promising that you would be by her side for the rest of her life.

And so it would be. She had promised herself that one day, that dream would come true.

But that never happened. The time came upon her and neither did she have the courage to tell the truth, nor did her mother listen to her or even ask if she wanted to get married, nor were you waiting with a kiss ready on your lips for her.

It had hurt her, but she knew that was the way things had to be. No matter how much magic the Encanto had given her family, there were things she couldn't change, and making her mother proud, being her most mature daughter, was a destiny she couldn't change. But she had hoped, at the very least, to have you by her side as she walked down the black hallway, into a future she didn't want.