VII

The three of you passed time by walking around Mondstadt as the two introduced you to the sights and beauties of the city of dandelions and freedom. Going to the different shops and the cathedral, it was finally time for the three of you to go to the Headquarters of the Knights of Favonius as Eula had told Aether.

“Why do you think Jean told us to go meet her?” Paimon wondered outloud as the three of you walked up the steps to your destination.

“Who knows,” Aether shrugged his shoulders.

Finally, there you stood in front of the famed headquarters of the the Knights of Favonius. One of the knights bowed his head before opening the door for hte three of you to enter. They must have been expected the traveler. After all, he was the well known hero that saved the city.

Entering the room, Aether knocked on the door of the acting grandmasters office.

“Traveler,” Jean smiled as she saw a familiar face. “It’s so nice to see you again.”

“Same to you Acting Grandmaster,” Aether smiled from her welcome.

“So I see you have a new companion,” Jean gave you a warm smile. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Jean, the Acting Grandmaster of the Knights of Favonius.”

“I’m y/n,” you introduced yourself as you returned the handshake that Jean was giving you.

Looking around the room, the many books on the selves reminded you of your own room back in the Abyss. Since you weren’t allowed to leave the Abyss unless there was a mission, books were the closest thing that you had to learning more about the outside world of Teyvat.

“Did you find anything that interests you?” Jean asked you as she noticed you looking at the various books.

“Oh no,” you shook your head while giving an awkward laugh. “Your office was just nostalgic for me.”

“I see. Well to get to the point why I called you here,” Jean moved onto a different subject. “We need to talk to Diluc. It’s concerning the Abyss. We felt that you had a right to know about the situation that’s going on.”

Your heart dropped the moment you heard the name of your home. You knew full well that the Abyss had a bad reputation in Teyvat and that Aether was one of the fighters against the Abyss but you never knew that it was so connected to Aether. 

Why is he so involved in the first place? Would there be a way for you to somehow separate him from his position in fighting the Abyss? After all, if there was one thing that you knew without a doubt from your advenures - although short - with Paimon and Aether, it was that you didn’t want to fight them.

“Is it so bad that Diluc is working with you now?” Aether toyed around with his braid as a way to cope with the seriousness of the situation.

“Paimon’s scared…”

Jean nodded as she opened the door of her office for everyone to exit, “I’ll explain everything once we go the tavern. Diluc is waiting for us there.”

You followed the three of them out as Jean started to lead the way. During the walk, you tried to think of the different things that could happen. With the sudden appearance of the abyss herald and the new order from Princess Lumine herself, there was definitely something going on. Maybe this meeting would lead you to some new hints.

“What do you think could be happening?” Paimon whispered to you and Aether. “They have been quiet for a while. We haven’t really come across them that often lately. What do you think they could be plotting.”

“Who knows,” Aether mumbled in thought.

Gulping, you wiped off the sweat from your palm. Would you have to confess the reason as to why you were here? What would happen now?

Soon enough, Jean stopped in front of the tavern, Angel’s Share Tavern, a bar owned by Diluc, the owner of of the famous Dawn Winery. Opening the door, you were met with a dark room to which Aether frowned at with confusion.

“Surprise!” voices rang from the tavern as the lights turned on. 

All around the room stood the different people that Aether had met on his adventures. Everyone that he had met in Mondstadt, Liyue, and Inazuma stood or sat around the tavern as tables were filled with plates of different foods from the different cuisines of the nations.

“We didn’t know when your birthday was,” Jean smiled at the traveler. “And we wanted to thank you for all that you did for all of us so we set up a celebration in honor of you. Sorry for scaring you with the Abyss issue excuse but we needed to make sure that you didn’t suspect a thing.”

Staring at everyone, Aether looked at everyone with a dumbfounded look as you grinned. Even though you didn’t really have anything to play in this and you had met him late, you felt delighted for him. From what you had seen and heard, he had done so many things for the different nations in Teyvat that he deserved this much if not more.

“Oh wow,” Paimon gasped in awe as she saw all the food and everyone who stood there with cheerful smiles.

“Thank you everyone,” Aether cleared his throat as he gave a large smile from the thoughtfulness of everyone there.

Amber and Eula pushed the three of you in as the celebration started. You had met many people including three of the archons - Venti, a drunk bard, Zhongli, a poor god of mora, and Raiden Shogun, a sad cook. The adepti and qixing of Liyue, the knights of Mondstadt, the various warriors of Inazuma, and more. 

Hours passed as you started to comfortably hang out with everyone as if you knew them for years. So many different people and different personalities that you would never have expected to meet. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.