XXIII

After a few days of traveling and asking for assistance, the Jade Chamber was a few miles away from the Abyss. With a large number of people ready to fight and stand by the side of Aether, everything was finally prepared for the final battle. 

Lumine stood at Aether’s left-hand side while you stood at his right. Soon enough, the familiar scenery of the Abyss appeared. Slowing down, the Jade Chamber came to a stop the moment an aura was released from the forest of the Abyss. Everyone sensing it, the overwhelming power was not something to be underestimated.

Nothing could be heard as everyone tensed up waiting for what could come up. Standing up straighter, you noticed the eyes in the forest that were staring up at the Jade Chamber. Blade unsheathed, you shouted, “Everyone in position. Get ready for battle.”

Looking at Aether, you nodded for him and Lumine to get the head start towards the castle to battle the King. It would finally be time for their longwaited revenge against the monster that had destroyed their lives. 

“Be careful everyone,” Aether looked back at all of his companions and acquaintances that had decided to assist him. “Thank you so much for this.”

A smile growing on everyone’s faces Kokomi stepped forward as the spokesperson for everyone, “Take care of yourself as well in your battle Aether. I’m sure that everyone here will agree with me when I say this. We’re all grateful for what you did to help us. We believe that you will end this longtime battle. I’m so happy that you found your sister. Let’s all celebrate our victory after this.”

“Thank you Kokomi,” Aether gave her a big hug that she returned.

Releasing the hug, Aether looked at you, millions of emotions swirling around in his eyes. Love, gratitude, care, tenderness, appreciation, regret, agitation, worry, fear, and many others. Giving him a smile, you hugged him with all the affection you could muster at the moment. 

“If anything happens,” Aether hugged you tighter. “Please wait for me. Don’t forget me, I’ll find my way back to you.”

You could feel a drop of wetness on your shoulder as tears started to run down your cheeks for some reason. A feeling of dread started to chain your heart as you felt uncertainty build up in your soul. Why would he say these pessimistic and glum things that would send lugubrious things through your veins?

“Aether-”

Before you could say anything more, he took your cheek in his hand and kissed you ignoring everyone’s stares. Looking up at wet eyes, your heart started to clench even more. Just what was he hiding from you?

Releasing you from his arms, he summoned his wings and flew towards Lumine who was waiting for you.

“Aether,” you raised your hand towards him, trying to reach him. “I love you.”

Wiping the tears that had suspiciously run down your cheeks, you looked to everyone who gave you looks of pity. You had to steel your heart to the moment. It wasn’t time to be emotional or sentimental. Even though you could feel the worry in your heart, you trusted Aether. 

“Everyone,” you started. “We’re here to support and protect Lumine and Aether. We need to buy time for their battle. Now, let’s defend their backs. They’re trusting us to do this. Let’s not let them down!”

Raising your claymore, everyone brought out their weapons and cheered with you, ready for the troublesome battle that would come soon. Lowering the Jade Chamber, the catalyst and bow users started their volley of arrows and magic to catch the attention of the enemies. Sword, polearm, and claymore users jumped down to the forest to kill the enemies one by one. The melee fighters, including you, started the attack.

All elements flew in the area relentlessly attack the enemies that were coming. Paired with Xiao for the battle, you trusted him to have your back and him same to you. One by one, the number of enemies started to die down as healers and supporters ran around the field to support all of the front line fighters.

Looking up, you saw the familiar golden light shining in the distance as you could tell the twins had already started their battle. Clenching your hands to stay in place and not run to them, you focused on your battle and trusted Aether to come back to you. It was a matter of trust in this moment and you knew your part.

~~~~~

“Aether,” Lumine had pulled his twin to the side. “What are you going to do about y/n?”

“I… don’t know,” Aether looked down at the floor of the Jade Chamber as his voice started to shake knowing what would happen at this battle.

“It was the King that was forcibly keeping us in this world. Without his power, we would leave and traverse to another world like we always do.”

“I-” Aether dropped down to his knees, his heart split because of his feelings for you. “I don’t know what to do Lumine. It’s unavoidable. We’ve been in this world for too long but I want to stay with y/n.”

“We have to leave. We don’t have a choice in the matter,” Lumine pitingly looked at Aether who despondently looked at his hands.

“What’s the point of having this power if I can’t use it to stay with the people I love!” Aether shouted punching the floor to release his pent up anger and frustration. “What’s the point!”

“Aether,” Lumine went to hug him feeling his anguish.

“What do I do Lumine? What do I do y/n?”