XVI

Early post because I'm working too much. Enjoy!

~~~~~

"Lumine!" Aether shouted, regaining his ability to talk. 

As if nothing but a doll, Lumine lifelessly looked at the source of the sound, Aether. Silently with an outstretched arm, she continued to stare at her twin. Out of nowhere, portals continuously appeared. From one to two to three to five to ten to twenty and on and on. The number of portals in the large throne room continued to increase. 

From the portals walked hilichurls, mitichurls, Abyss mages, and many other enemies. Surrounded by an army of the Abyss, both you and Aether immediately summoned your swords. Back to back, you prepared for battle as the two of you were ready to rely on each other, to have one anothers back in the troublesome situation.

“What are you doing Lumine!” Aether shouted once more in hopes to get his twin sister’s attention.

To no avail, nothing happened with Lumine and she continued to sit on the throne with lifeless eyes. A perfect doll, this wasn’t the Lumine you knew and loved, platonically of course.

Encompassed by lines of enemy forces, you swung your sword and summoned bladed of statis electricity. It was time to fight - that much was obvious from the current situation - and you wanted to at least have the first move. Reacting to your attack, the enemies that encircled the three of you ran forwards in hopes to attack you.

Continung a barrage of purple colored blades of static electricity, Aether summoned a border of geo energy to surround the three of you as a makeshift barrier.

Meteor like boulders getting summoned by Aether while you continued to let out charges of electricity filled the area with static energy. Turning the space around Aethers geo barrier into an electric terrain, you continued to charge powerful large ranged attacks. Aether continued to protect you while you attacked with no plan of stopping. Defeating at least ten enemies at a time, you could feel your energy quickly draining. No matter how powerful you were, even the strongest of people would get tired from relentlessly attacking hundreds of enemies in one go. 

Noticing your building exhaustion, Aether summoned a tornado of wind to build up the electricity and provide more powerful attacks. A swirl reaction of anemo strengthening electro. Truly magnificent teamwork.

The buildup of power continued to the point of maximum output before exploding in a blast of wind and electricity. Killing at least a good 10% of the existing enemies, you grinned at the accomplishment. It wasn't that long since the fight had started and you and Aether were killing off a good number of enemies. 

“Attack,” Lumine ordered the army of Abyss monsters as she noticed them losing the numbers that they had the advantage with.

The moment she muttered that order, from the portals appeared numbers of Abyss lectors and heralds. Hands sweating, you gulped knowing full well the power that they held. It was hard as it was to fight three and now you had to fight at least twenty. It was time for a painful fight, a fight for survival. The chances were low but you had to at least save Aether.

“Leave this to me,” you mumbled loud enough for only Aether to hear. “Save your sister. Knock some sense into here.”

Claymore stuck on the ground as you put your weight on it, Aether nodded in understanding. Rather than fighting you about the situation, it would be best to just agree. If he was able to get her back into her right mind, there was a high chance of survival as she could stop them and he understood that full well. Immediately running towards Lumine, the enemies quickly reacted and lunged towards him.

Not letting them lay their hands on your partner, you swiftly lifted your claymore as if it was as light as a feather and slammed it on the ground directed on the path that Aether was running on. A wall of geo getting summoned in quick succession, Aether was protected from the attack enemies. You wouldn’t let a single one touch him.

Running towards where the enemies were concentrated, you took your claymore once more and with both hands, you stabbed it into the ground in the form of a knight. Vines growing all over the place, a corrosion poison radiated from the vines as it formed a barrier that surrounded the geo wall to add another layer of protection.

“Hurrt Aether,” you shouted not ready to relent your life to the enemies now grouping around you. “I can only hold them off for so long.”

Hearing that, Aether pushed himself to run faster to Lumine. Jumping up each of the steps to the throne that Lumine was sitting on, he held out his hand to touch her. Noticing what he was trying to do, Lumine quickly backed away and summoned a golden sword. 

“Lumine,” Aether called out to his dearest twin. “Please, stop this.”

As Aether tried to reason with his doll-like twin, you continued to focus on the enemies. Releasing the power that held up the makeshift barrier that had protected Aether, you prepared for an all out attack. Summoning flames to cover your sword, you ran into the crowd of enemies. One by one, you striked them and poured out power to make them explode into flames created by pyro.

Noticing an attack from your periferal vision, you lifted your claymore to use it as a shield. The powerful attack making contact with your claymore, you flew back into the wall and coughed out blood from the great pressure.

“Y/n!” Aether shouted as he tried to run to you to help you.

Unfortunately, Lumine was a powerful opponent. Noticing his distraction, she attacked him and quickly reacting, he had lifted his sword to meet hers. The two blades colliding with great force, the weaker blade - Aether’s dull blade - cracked with the overwhelming force of Lumine’s sword.

Eyes widening in fear as you saw Aether fall to the ground, you tried to push yourself up. 

“Aether,” your voice rasped as you tried to ignore the great exhaustion from overusing your power.