VIII

The party resumed for a good long while with mostly Paimon finishing all the food. All the people that you had met at the party introduced you to things that you had never known and never thought you would know. It was truly an experience of a lifetime.

Walking up to Aether to sat at the bar table watching everyone interact with one another, you smiled before sitting on the stool next to him.

"All these people came to see you," you told the traveler. "You're a very special and important person to many, including me."

"Thanks y/n," Aether replied.

The two of you sat together as you watched everyone enjoy the party. You were in awe of everything that Aether had done. Had it not been for him, none of theses people from the different nations of Teyvat would have ever met. The simple fact that he had brought these people together - even if unintentional - was a feat deserving an award.

Staring at the people talking, your heart started to ache. You realized from all of this just how much of these familial interactions you missed and never experienced in your life. It was something that you wanted. No matter how much you said you were fine being alone, that loneliness internally ate at you.

"Acting Grandmaster!" a knight suddenly barged into the tavern, sweat pouring down his forehead. "We need your help!"

Huffing, the man looked exhausted beyond belief. Immediately going to the man, both you and Aether helped him to a seat to catch his breath as the two of you were the closest.

"What's going on?" Jean asked, a frown of concern painting her face.

"The- The Abyss!" the man huffed as he tried to control his breathing. "The Abyss- they- they're attacking the city."

A face of fear and shock making its way on her face, Jean looked at the knight before recollecting herlief and looking towards everyone, "Sorry to cut this short," she started. "But as you heard the knight, there's an emergency. I know you aren't citizens of Mondstadt but if you please could lend us your help, we would be eternally grateful."

"Let us go before there are casualties," Zhongli, the geo archon announced.

Bowing to thank everyone, Jean then turned to Aether, "I'm sorry that this is happening on your day Aether but-"

Aether just smiled at the Acting Grandmaster, "Let's go."

Everyone following suit, the earlier cheerfulness turned into glum seriousness. Ready to defend the city of freedom and dandelions Jean led the way with Diluc immediately following after her. Both you and Aether caught up as you stopped in your tracks after noticing the dark clouds overhead covering the sun.

Light succumbed to the darkness as the once sun-filled city turned deadly dark. Stomping could be heard from outside the city walls as Abyss mages and heralds started to teleport in the city. Hilichurls started to break through the walls that the knights created as they attacked the stores and houses.

"What in the world?" Ei - the Raiden Shogun, the archon of Inazuma - muttered as she watched the utter destruction being laid on the city. "This has never happened before."

"Everyone!" Aether cried out as a large ball of flame started flying towards the group.

Reacting with incredible speed, Zhongli stretched out his arm to summon a shield. The flame meeting the shield, a great burst of heat filled the area. Matched with Zhongli's defensive tactics, Xiao and Kazuha ran towards the attacker and in quick succession defeated it. More enemies continued to pile one after another on the city as everyone started to go around to defend and protect Mondstadt.

Locked in a battle with a hydro abyss lector, Aether quickly parried its attack to which you saw an opening and using your claymore, hit him back. Aether followed after you and with a powerful downwards slash, he knocked it to the side. You threw your claymore at a cryo Abyss mage that was about to attack you after enveloping it pyro. Breaking its shield, it fell to the ground and tried to run away.

Aether switched position with you and dashed forward to attack the grounded mage. With a succession of slashes, the mage disappeared in particles of light. Immediately returning to the lector that was weakened without a shield, both you and Aether ran towards it and attacked it. Up, down, stab, and in a flurry of slashes from the both of you, it was finally defeated.

Out of nowhere, an arrow whizzed past your head and killed a hilichurl that was about to attack you. Looking up, you saw the goat girl that you had talked to earlier. She continued to release arrow after arrow along with some other archers.

Running to support everyone else, you defended an attack towards Bennett who was looking around trying to find enemies.

"Careful," you cried out as you pushed the attacker up into the sky.

As soon as you did that, a dash of teal anemo energy defeated the samachurl before coming downwards as a plunge. It was none other than the adepti Xiao. Running closer to the frontlines of the battle to support Aether, you wielded your claymore with terrifying proficiency that even Diluc would be in awe of.

Jumping up, Aether summoned a tornado to collect all the smaller enemies around the area. Jumping from underneath the ground, a geovishap knocked Aether from where he stood. Trying to lessen the impact, you ran behind him and stopped him from flying further back.

"Thanks," Aether looked at you with a grateful smile.

Helping him stand, Kazuha jumped down and attacked the geovishap making it fly to the wall. Albedo appeared from the side and stabbed the enemy making it disappear just like how all the others had disappeared.

"Retreat!" a voice called out.

A giant portal appeared from the gate of Mondstadt as the monsters started to back away from everyone and disappear into the portal. Three lectors held everyone back as they tried to stop the retreat. Unfortunately, they were on the even stronger level and they were able to disappear just as the portal closed.

The wind blew quietly as you noticed the utter destruction that had filled the once bustling city. What was the Abyss planning? What was going on and why was the Princess doing all this?

Jean instantly took the lead and started to order all the knights into different groups to fix up the city. All the while, the rest of the guests started to leave in fear of the same happening to the city. The joy that was felt was now filled with fear and worry.

What would happen now?