XV

Reappearing in your room, you could hear the footsteps of various monsters in the Abyss. Before Paimon could say anything, you covered her half-open mouth before motioning with your finger for them to stay quiet. Silently moving to your desk like a feather in the sky, you took a pen and paper and quickly scribbled something.

Let’s wait until there are fewer footsteps.

Showing it to Aether, he nodded in understanding. Waiting along with you, you heightened your senses to hear the steps - both light and heavy - of those outside your room.

Taking the paper that you had written on earlier, Aether quickly wrote something down before handing it to you.

Silently reading it, you folded it and stuffed it in your pocket while staring at the door, your mind void of any thoughts after reading what Aether had written. Fortunately, the steps that had once been quite loud started to die down. Looking at your two companions, you once again motioned for them to follow you. Activating power from your sword, you nodded at Aether to start what you had practiced with him. 

Summoning the hydro element to create a mist of water around the three of you, Aether continued by lighting the area with pyro to create shadows along the way creating some form of a wall to make yourselves somewhat invisible to the eye from a distance. 

Leading the way for them as planned in Plan A, you sneaked by the wall, making sure to check whenever someone would come past. If ever someone would be a few feet away, you would motion for everyone to stop - if they left, you would continue, if otherwise, you would knock them out. You could feel your heart intensely beating from all of this. You continued to repeat to yourself to make sure to be stealthy. You couldn’t afford a single mistake.

Aether took care of watching your back. He would do the same if someone came from behind the group. The silent communication made the whole situation even harder and slower as nothing could be risked. You were in someone else's territory. A mistake could cost your life.

Soon enough after a lot of heart-racing moments, the three of you made it to the doors of the throne room. As you made your way to the front of the intricately detailed doors, it seemed to grow bigger as you started to get anxious. 

What would happen the moment the door opened?

Suddenly, as if knowing that you were there, the doors slowly opened, suspense making your heart beat faster. Immediately taking a few steps back to Aether and Paimon, you could see the vague figure of Lumine.

Sitting on her throne as if dead, memories of your moments with her flashed through your mind.

~~~~~

“Child,” a pretty lady looked down at your dirty and shivering figure. “Come here.”

You had been stuck in the Abyss for as long as you could remember. No memories of your past. You were there and that was all. A young child, unable to fend for themselves, deathly pale from the freezing cold.

“Don’t you want to live?” The lady once again looked down at you with her hand outstretched to you.

Using the last strength in your body, you held her warm hand that felt like a mother’s warmth. A warmth that you didn’t know existed.

~~~~~

“How are you feeling?”

You had woken up in a warm room in a comfortable bed with the lady who had saved you sitting at the side. Staring at her, you tilted your head in confusion. You didn’t know how to reply as you had been alone for as long as you could remember. No memories before the cold of the Abyss.

Smiling, the lady looked at you with warm eyes, “I’m Lumine. What’s your name?”

“Y/n,” you muttered the only thing that had come to your mind.

“Nice to meet you y/n.”

~~~~~

“Princess Lumine,” you huffed, your heart beating so fast that you thought that it would beat out of your chest. “Can we take a break? I’m exhausted.”

“Sure,” she laughed as she pet your head. “You’ve been getting better. I’m sure that you must be a genius. You learned the art of the sword so quickly that I’m starting to doubt you when you say that you’ve never learned the sword before.”

For the past weeks, Lumine had been teaching you how to use a sword. From increasing your stamina to learning how to read the opponent to studying techniques, she had been pounding such information into your mind.

~~~~~

“Thank you for the meal,” you looked down at the food in front of you.

The smell making your stomach growl in hunger, you dug into the food. Devouring the delicious food that was given to you, you continued to eat while Lumine watched you eat with a smile. Not thinking much of it, you stuffed yourself full after the long day. 

"Ish sho goof," you mumbled as you stuffed your mouth.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Lumine stood up to get you water. "You might choke."

~~~~~

"Careful!" Lumine shouted as you dodged the attack of the bear that you were hunting.

As another form of training, Lumine brought you outside to hunt. It was now that you were in a battle of life or death. Only the strongest survived.

~~~~~

Sobbing, you tightened your arms around Lumine who was patting your back to calm you down. It had been a late night and the pains of not knowing anything had finally eaten you up. It was genuine pain.

Lumine who had checked up on you noticed you crying on your bed and came to hug you to help comfort you. She was like a mother, a big sister who was always there for you.

Staying with you through the night, she sat in silence and she continued to console you with her warmth, the one warmth that made you feel human.

Just how important did she become to you?

She became your world. The one that you would willingly give up your life for.

~~~~~

"Lumine…" Aethers voice cracked as it brought you back to reality.

Looking at Aether who looked so dejected, you clenched your fists and recalled your goal.

Save Lumine.