1. the chaser and the seeker

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

THE CHASER AND THE SEEKER

( 15th September 1997 )

If Rowan Yaxley had it her way, she would never have to speak to Draco Malfoy — ever.

However, the universe liked to fuck Rowan over. It seemed like it had chosen her to hold a personal vendetta against since the very start of Rowan's life — tearing away Rowan's mother during childbirth and leaving her with just her father. Brought up by her nanny and the house elves, Rowan was excited for Hogwarts, but the universe gifted to Rowan a boy who would coincidentally be around her all of the time; a boy that she would learn to despise by their fourth year.

Draco Malfoy was an arsehole. He was rude and arrogant and he enjoyed playing girls like they were nothing but games, tossing them to the side like rubbish when he decided he was done. It killed Rowan how many of her female classmates fell for it. All he had to do was flash a grin or give the smallest of compliments and they'd be coming back to his dorm room for some personal time alone.

Even the smartest girls couldn't help it — they would say that they would never fall for it - that all of the girls that have come before them are just weak and lonely - and then they spend a night with the Malfoy heir and become just another one of their peers. Of course, there are a small selection of girls that haven't gone near him though.

Rowan's one, and Pansy's included, of course – Pansy hates Draco as much as Rowan does (plus he takes all of the hot girls and leaves Pansy with relatively nothing to work with). Hermione Granger, Head Girl this year, has been happy with Ron Weasley since the middle of the sixth year and has also made it clear on numerous occasions that she is repulsed by Draco and his ways (and Draco has a rule against Muggleborns). Then there's Ginny Weasley too - who grimaces at the sight of him and is also dating Draco's worst enemy, Harry Potter.

  There are definitely other girls too, mostly the Muggleborns, but point is, Draco is a manwhore and power thirsty, just like Rowan's father. Rowan was confident there were no redeemable qualities about Draco, and the worst part was that he was not only her prefect partner but also captain of the quidditch team that year, and Rowan was the best Chaser that the Slytherin team has seen in decades.

So she has to speak to him if she wants to have a successful final year at Hogwarts. And perhaps the worst part — she also has to listen to him.

"I don't know, Yaxley, that last lap looked a little shaky," Draco said, eyeing the brunette as she flew back down onto the pitch where he was standing, hopping off of her broom with such agility that you would think she had been playing as long as a professional.

Rowan narrowed her eyes at the blond boy. "I'm the first person back, Malfoy. And I didn't wobble on my broom once. You know that for a fact."

"I saw you with my own eyes," Draco scoffed.

"Well then maybe you should get your eyes checked."

"Oo, the girls are fighting again!"

Draco and Rowan both rolled their eyes at the same time as Blaise Zabini landed on the grass beside Rowan. He slipped off his broom as effortlessly as the Yaxley girl had done before, sliding it up and between his fingers before he threw his spare arm around Rowan. Rowan shrugged him off with a small scowl.

"Referring to Malfoy as a girl is an insult to every woman that has walked this planet earth ever," Rowan said, "I have quite frankly never heard something so misogynistic in my life, Zabini."