19. malfoy thing

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

MALFOY THING

( Monday 9th February 1998 )

"You're... together?"

Rowan stared back at Theo's startled expression. She'd expected a wide grin, for him to clap his hands together, or to laugh in glee. Instead, his eyebrows furrowed — he looked confused.

"He asked me to be his girlfriend," Rowan repeated.

Pansy's hand smacked over her own mouth. Her green eyes were wide and it took her a moment before she joined in with Blaise's disbelieving laughter. For a single second, Rowan's lips twitched upwards, glad her friends were as happy as she was, until it all came crashing down, and she remembered why she was so nervous to tell them in the first place.

Because Draco had asked her out and she had accepted without an ounce of The Plan on her mind at all.

She hadn't said yes for Theo, she hadn't had all of the other girls Draco had treated poorly in her head. All she was thinking about was Draco. Draco, Draco, Draco. Draco and his stupid smirk and his expensive cologne and large hands and strong arms. The way he looked at her — his love for Quidditch, his witty comments, the way he challenged her.

"And you said yes?" Blaise urged.

Rowan nodded and forced a smile. "Of course. For The Plan, right?"

"For The Plan," Theo agreed, a wavering smile of his own on his face as he sat forwards on his chair. "That's absolutely amazing, Rowan. Brilliant, actually."

"You don't seem too chuffed," Rowan pointed out. "I thought this was exactly what you wanted?"

"It is!" Theo exclaimed, shaking his head quickly. "I am happy. I suppose I was shocked at first. No offence, but maybe part of me thought that this would never work."

"Well it worked alright," Pansy smirked and then grabbed Rowan by the shoulders, squeezing her tighter to her. "Of course Malfoy's whipped for Rowan. Anybody would be."

Rowan rolled her eyes but smiled. "Thanks, Pans. Remember to act surprised if he says something, okay?"

"Obviously," Blaise scoffed, "Merlin, I've been practising my shocked face in the mirror for the past couple of weeks, actually. I can't wait to put it to use."

"You're such a weirdo," Pansy huffed, and then turned to Rowan. "I can't believe it. Or, well, I can. Malfoy would have had to been the biggest homosexual on the planet to not see how amazing you are. I just can't believe we live in a universe where you two are actually together."

"Well, me either," Rowan admitted, a breathless sigh leaving her lips as she leaned back against the couch. "It's strange. But he walked me back here after tryouts last night. Pecked me on the lips outside the common room door, and said he'd see me in the morning."

Her heart fluttered at the thought of Draco leaving his dorm room now. The idea of him sitting down beside her, and then opposite her at breakfast, their eyes meeting, knowing his heart must be beating as fast as hers. Perhaps in time with one another.

"You just can't fall for him," Theo reminded her, nearly making Rowan choke on her own spit, half-worried he could hear her thoughts. "Just because he's going to start treating you differently now, doesn't make him any less of an arsehole."

"That won't be a problem," Rowan replied with as much sincerity as she could feign. "I know everything he's done."

Rowan reminded herself of everything. All of the things he had called her, all of the times he had gone out of his way to make her life that little bit more miserable. The amount of girls he'd sent out of his room crying, how he'd only laughed after, enjoying the sick rush of power it gave him that he could have anybody he wanted. The prejudice he still spat to this day, and how he had treated his very own best friend, Theo.