4. the after party

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

THE AFTER PARTY

( Saturday 23 September 1997 )

Rowan groaned as her eyes fluttered open, her head aching and her mouth awfully dry. She reached for the water that she always left on her bedside table when she went out drinking, downing the whole thing. She regretted it when her stomach flipped, however, the feeling passed, leaving her just tired and groggy.

Memories of last night started to come back. Pansy had been talking to a girl, Rowan had danced with Clay, he'd led her away... Draco was his typical Draco-self and got with the girl his best friend had intense feelings for...

"Come on," Clay whispered against her, his hand rubbing at her hip. "Let's leave before Malfoy thinks we've been spying on him getting head from that Hufflepuff."

Rowan hummed in agreement, tearing her eyes away from the scene before it could get too graphic. She let Clay lead her down the corridor and up a set of stairs, and eventually they made it to the Room of Requirements. All thoughts of Draco's betrayal on Theo seemed to vanish from her head when she was pushed inside and onto the huge king sized bed. Clay climbed on top of her, their lips joining.

It was good sex to say the least. Clay knew how to please the female body, and Rowan greatly appreciated it. The only long-term boyfriend she had ever had was Adrian Pucey, a boy in the year above her. He'd ended things just before he left Hogwarts, not wanting to have any strings attached when he went for his job at the Ministry, but he had been the best she'd ever had.

Rowan was nowhere near as experienced in the sex world as her enemy Draco Malfoy, but she'd had a small handful lovers. Her virginity had been lost sometime after the Yule Ball back in the fourth year, given to her Durmstrang date who she had quite fancied at the time. In the fifth year, Rowan had an on-and-off again friends-with-benefits type situation with Fred Weasley, and at the very start of the sixth year, she'd shared a night with Ernie Macmillan after a party.

So, for a seventeen-year-old girl, Rowan liked to say she was fairly experienced. She knew what she liked and what she didn't like, and Clay was more than happy to attend to her needs. Rowan thought Pansy was probably right about him wanting to make her happy because she was an older girl.

They headed back to the party soon after their hookup. Rowan couldn't risk sneaking back into the girls' dormitory two mornings in a row. Clay was quick to squeeze her arm and then hurry off with his friends. Rowan spotted Pansy dancing with the girl from before, taking breaks to makeout and practically grope each other on the dance floor.

Her smile faded when she saw Draco reenter the common room, no Lorelei in sight. Hanging by the door, his eyes landed on Rowan quite quickly. He raised his eyebrows at the glare on her face.

"Do you ever take a break from hating me, Yaxley?" Draco yelled by her ear above the booming music. "Or am I all you think about?"

Rowan rolled her eyes. "Piss off. You're absolutely vile, Malfoy."

Draco allowed the easy grin to take over his drunk features. "Come on, Yaxley. Don't be like that. What's wrong? Why are you glaring at me tonight?"

Rowan thought about biting her tongue, but she couldn't resist. She got uncomfortably close to his face, to the point where Draco's silver eyes widened slightly. He could smell the alcohol on her breath, see every individual eyelash that she had coated black.

"I know what you did, Malfoy," Rowan hissed, watching as his smirk diminished and his jaw clenched. "Or rather who you did."

Rowan went to back away, but was stopped by his large hand wrapping around her wrist. "Don't you fucking dare tell anybody, Yaxley," Draco spat at her. "You don't want to break Theo's heart, do you?"