10. slytherin vs hufflepuff

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

SLYTHERIN VS HUFFLEPUFF

( Sunday 9 November 1997 )

Rowan walked into the Great Hall that morning feeling on top of the world.

Her table was decked out in support of the Slytherin quidditch team, and the whole hall was buzzing with excitement. It was the first quidditch game of the school year, and whilst it was probably clear who the winner would be, people were still excited to watch. Hufflepuff had some of their own pre-game activities going on at their table, but Rowan couldn't help noticing some of the players looked nervous — too queasy to touch their food, even.

She grinned as she moved over to her seat. Already dressed in her quidditch uniform and her hair braided back off of her face, Rowan was ready to get some fuel and go. She rarely ever got nervous before games, unless it was the last one of the year, or they were against Gryffindor or something.

Rowan sat with the rest of the quidditch team, but towards the end so that Pansy could slide in next to her. Draco glanced her over once and then turned to everyone.

"Okay, guys. You know how it goes," their Captain said firmly, "Eat up now — but not too much. Does anyone have any problems I need to know about beforehand?"

Nobody said anything. Draco smirked a little, clearly feeling confident, and raised his glass of pumpkin juice to the middle of the table.

"Then here's to our first match of the year," Draco said, "Let it be victorious — our first step to winning the House Cup."

Rowan raised her glass and clinked it in the middle with everybody else's. She stacked her plate with a piece of buttered toast and some scrambled eggs, and downed a glass of water too. Rowan listened as Draco went over a few of the tactics yet again, but she already knew them off by heart. Last night, she'd stayed up until midnight reading about the most impressive quidditch wins, and she wondered if she'd get to try a few of the Chasers' moves out today.

"Good luck, Rowan," Pansy said to her best friend when everybody started to get up to leave. "Not that you need it."

Rowan smiled and grasped the sides of Pansy's head, yanking her forwards to press a peck to her forehead. "Love you, Pans."

Pansy smiled. "I love you too, Rowan. Now go! Quick."

Rowan's eyes widened a little when she realised the boys were already out of the Great Hall. She took off after them, joining Draco and Blaise at the front. Blaise glanced over at her before looking ahead.

"It's weird, isn't it?" Blaise said to both her and Draco. "This is our last first match."

Both Rowan and Draco felt a sort of sinking feeling in their chests. Quidditch had always been a consistency in Rowan's life. It was something that let her feel connected to her mother, who she knew little to nothing about, but she felt like she would still be proud every time Rowan scored a goal or won a match. Rowan chewed on her bottom lip and didn't reply, feeling a little disheartened at the reminder.

"Let's make it a good one, then." Draco ordered.

Walking out onto the pitch was always a surreal feeling. The Hufflepuffs booed them, and so did most of the Gryffindors and Ravenclaws, but the Slytherin stands all stood and made such an uproar that it cancelled it all out in Rowan's head. She walked in right behind Draco, glancing up at their house. Pansy stood by Theo, cupping her hands over her mouth as she cheered, all decked out in one of Rowan's old jerseys. They waited for the Hufflepuff team who came and stood opposite them. Rowan sent the unknown fifth year girl in front of her a grinning smirk and watched her visibly shrink backwards.