7. prefect duties

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

PREFECT DUTIES

( Thursday 27 September 1997 )

THINGS I KNOW ABOUT MALFOY:

- He likes quidditch

- He doesn't like Yaxley or Potter

- He doesn't like talking about his parents (ESPECIALLY HIS MOTHER!)

- He likes to read (don't ask what, I don't know. Reading is boring)

- He's really good at Potions

- He sneaks out some Tuesday nights to practice quidditch on the pitch

- He hates the cold

- He supports the Montrose Magpies (don't call him a glory hunter, he hates it)

- He likes Honeydukes chocolate bars (I don't know the specific flavour)

- He likes having sex??

- Also I don't think he has a soft spot. Maybe his mother, like I mentioned before? More like a sore spot with the way he gets, actually. DON'T BRING HER UP YAXLEY!!

Rowan pursed her lips and glanced back up at Blaise from the crumpled note he had handed to her in the common room. He was watching her apprehensively.

"Really, Blaise? You've known him for seven years!" Rowan sighed, "Lots of this stuff is really surface level — I could have told you it myself."

Blaise huffed. "Sorry, we don't sit with each other and play twenty-one questions every evening, Rowan," Blaise said, "I mean, are you seriously telling me if I asked you for a list about Pansy, you would —"

"Yes," Pansy interrupted him as she headed over, slinging a hand over Rowan's shoulders, hanging off of her. "Rowan knows everything about me." She snatched the list from Rowan's hands. "I mean, do you not even look at the covers of his books? Do you talk about anything other than quidditch or things that annoy you?"

Blaise snapped, "Well, I mean, of course we do. Malfoy's one of my best mates, but that doesn't mean that I have to know what his favourite colour is, or where he was born."

Rowan was pretty sure she could feel her eye twitching. This whole thing was going to be impossible if Draco was so secretive that even his best friends barely knew much about him! Or perhaps Draco really was as 2D as he presented himself, though Rowan sort of doubted that.

"Oh come on!" Blaise threw his hands in the air at the looks he was getting from them both. "Are you telling me you could tell me —"

"Pansy's favourite colour is dark purple and she was born in Kensington," Rowan said before Blaise could finish.

He opened his mouth, looking at Pansy, who also cut him off. "Yellow. Berkshire."

Blaise went to protest before his eyes widened and he laughed. "Well that's wrong! Rowan, your favourite colour isn't really yellow, is it?"

Rowan didn't smile back. "It is. Why? What did you think it was?"

"Like... black? I don't know. Well, I can probably just guess Draco's. Probably dark green and... somewhere in Wiltshire? Look, you don't have to use the bloody list if you don't want to. There's no need to be so ungrateful about it."

Rowan exhaled through her nose. "No, no. It's fine. Thank you, Blaise. I'll just add to it as I go along," she said, taking the note back from Pansy and slipping it into the pocket of her robes.